So you are here looking for some excellent information related to WIFI, and you are surfing to the answer to the question what does WIFI stand for.
You would be glad to know that you have arrived at the best place.
Here you will get answers related to all such questions.
- What Does WIFI Stand For?
- What Does ‘Fi’ in WIFI Stand For?
- Definition of WIFI:
- When Was WIFI Invented?
- Advantages And Disadvantages of Using WIFI:
- Uses of WIFI:
- How to Use a Secured WIFI Network?
- What is a Hotspot?
- What Does GPS Stand For?
- What Does LAN Stand For?
What Does WIFI Stand For?
This is a name of wireless technology that stands for WIRELESS FIDIBILITY.
What Does ‘Fi’ in WIFI Stand For?
FI stands for a word known as FIDIBILITY.
- In sound systems you would have mostly come across the phrase HI-FI FI in the WIFI is same as that in HI-FI.
- The full form of WIFI is WIRELESS FIDIBILITY.
- It is a brand name for using products and is a trademark.
Definition of WIFI:
It is a technology of wireless local area network and allows you to enjoy being on the internet. You don’t need to have Ethernet cables in this case.
One thing you should keep in mind is that the device that provides WIFI signals should be held in range otherwise you won’t get proper signals
What Does WIFI Stand For in Computer Terms?
Apart from its real name, there is some more name by which it is known in computer-related fields.
Some of them are listed below:
- Wire Free Internet
- Wireless File
When Was WIFI Invented?
- The idea was coined in 1992.
- It was created by some great minds. Dr. John was the head of this team.
- Vic Hayes is known as the father of this remarkable technology which we call WIFI.
How Does WIFI Work?
The principle is the same as that is used by other wireless devices.
Radio frequencies are used to send signals between devices.
Don’t confuse them with the wavelengths emitted by radios or cell phones.
Hotspots are created with the help of WIFI adaptors. You can easily connect to the internet with the amazing WiFi hotspot devices.
A router is used to decode the signals. You can get connected.
The signal depends on radio power output, antenna and frequency band.
Advantages And Disadvantages of Using WIFI:
It proves to be quite useful in many areas where a wired network may give up.
Some benefits are:
- You can get connected to the internet from anywhere and enjoy it at the place you wish, but there should be WIFI signals at that location.
- The network can serve a large number of clients.
- Many people can get the benefit at a time from it.
- This technology is not so expensive. It proves to be quite cost saving.
- If you want to connect a new device to WIFI you need to do some simple settings are you are done with it. It is unlike that of a wire network configuration in which a complete process is required in this regard.
Recommended Read What is WPS Button on Router?
- Security is the central issue in this case. The internet problems of today’s world are mostly due to security flaws.
- You are at the risk of being hacked. Hackers can steal your information.
- Another issue is a range. To access the signals, you should be in the field. If you go out of the spectrum, the signal should be weaker or even may diminish.
- Two WIFI channels of very high density in the same area may cause a problem with each other.
Uses of WIFI:
There are many cool things to do on the internet.
- Your device can work as a remote control and you can quickly send files/documents from a location where the signal is available.
- It allows you to easily tether your phone to your computer.
- You can enjoy movies and songs
- Get information from the web quickly.
How to Use a Secured WIFI Network?
Your security is the most important thing when using the internet.
This security is at significant risk when you are using a WIFI or lets me correct, a public WIFI.
In such cases, your data is being shared with hundreds of people.
Following the guidance below you can be secured while using it.
- It is quite common to have settings enabled on the home network to share and receive files from other devices on the same network, but when using a public network, you should switch off the settings.
- From your security settings enable the firewall.
- Don’t forget to write https before a web address. In this case, your privacy will be safe from evil hands.
- It is standard practice to enable WIFI on a home network even when there is no use of it, but when being on a public network switch off the WIFI if there is no need of using it.
- Try to use a virtual private network. VPN is the most secure way. There are many free internet apps and VPN which will make you secure.
- Check your antivirus. Switch it on and Don’t forget to keep it up to date.
- Avoid doing any work on a public network which involves sending of any sensitive data.
- Don’t forget to log out from your account when your work is finish.
Check out this infographic about WiFi security.
What is a Hotspot?
- It is the area in which the WIFI is accessible.
- This can be public or any closed network.
- You can make a device a hotspot and can connect another device to the internet by that instrument.
What Does GPS Stand For?
Full form of GPS is a global positioning system and it measures the travel time of the radio receiver.
This technology employed in cars, cell phones, and many devices uses a system to find your location.
The system can tell you where you are and how much you have traveled.
These trackers prove to be a source of good security
How Does GPS Work?
GPS comprises of three things.
- Ground Station
It is a network of 30 satellites. These satellites keep orbiting around the earth.
These satellites are at a distance of about 20,000km from the surface of the earth.
They make almost two orbits in a day.
When we turn on GPS on our phones, it doesn’t send any signals.
The GPS receiver receives the signal from the satellites.
It gets two types of data.
The data is sent continuously by satellite and received on the other end by the GPS receiver.
It contains the orbital information.
This gives the precise orbital information.
This data is updated after every 2 hours.
Your location is determined in a way that the satellites send the data about you considering you to be on a sphere.
Then with two satellites, your position will be where the two spheres meet.
Similarly, three satellite signals can be combined to get your exact location.
Finding your location by this procedure is termed as trilateration.
What Does LAN Stand For?
Its full form is local area network.
- It is used to connect computers within a limited area.
- Ethernet cables are used.
- Unlike WIFI its speed does not depend on range.
- It is mostly used in desktop computers. It is an excellent source of networking in a small area.
Until now I am pretty much sure you would have understood that what does WIFI stand for, how does it work and who invented it.
This wireless technology has made connecting to the internet much more comfortable. If you desire to use ethernet then you can very easily convert WiFi connection to ethernet.