Hey wait!! Do you need to know what is LAN, what does it mean, other types of network and some more information related to this topic? All information that you need to know about this topic and some more topics relating to it are discussed in this article. Some of the main points that are explained in this article are:
- LAN cable and driver
- How to network two computers?
- WLAN setup
- WAN vs LAN.
- Metropolitan area network.
- Campus area network.
what is LAN?
It connects devices with in a specific area. The minimum number of users in this case are two. In this type of networking, cables are used that connect the computers.
full form of LAN:
It’s full form is local area network. It builds connection among devices by cables.
what does LAN mean?
The concept came in 1960 when people felt the need of a connection between devices by which they could share resources easily. For this reasons some experiments were done as a result of which ether-net was introduced. In it’s cabling first coaxial cable were used then STP (shielded twisted paired)wiring protected them .
Thus it includes 2 main things. These are
LAN cable and driver:
Cable is used in networking. Different wiring are available for such cables. It consists of a plug also. They provide good performance. The 2 ends of the cable should be kept at a nearer distance so that they may receive signals easily. Its 2 types are:
- Standard cables
- Crossover cables
- It helps operating system to do networking settings and build communication with the network card, these drivers are soft-wares in your device.
- They are also termed as network drivers.
- They help to run the device and also check the hardware necessities for establishing connection.
how to network two computers?
There are many ways to connect 2 computers together for the purpose of sharing stuff like files and other works. Some of them are discussed here:
- The first way to connect it by Ethernet cable. you can use an Ethernet cable to build connection. An ether-net adaptor is also required.
- You can also do it by building up a network connection. Use ping command for this purpose.
- USB hubs can also be used for this purpose.
- Wireless connection can also be set up. Some common form of wireless connection include Bluetooth, WiFi and infrared.
wireless LAN setup:
WLAN is the term referred as wireless LAN, it is also known as lawn (local area wireless network). In this type of network connection a wireless device can be connected to any an connection. For this purpose a wireless LAN adaptor is also used. The connection is established for a limited area range
wireless LAN adaptor:
It is a network card that is used to get access to a connection using a port that is on a device( PC or laptop or any other device of this sort). They resemble USB flash drives physically. By the help of this awesome technology you can easily share files or whatever you intend to.
What does a LAN cable and port look like?
They may come in different sizes and shapes but the that is common among them all is the rectangular connector present at both sends. Normally such cables have up to 8 wires. These are then plugged into ports. These ports are bigger in size than the cables, this is because they may easily put it into them.
One thing should be kept in mind, the 2 ends of cables are to close to each other for better performance. If they are at much larger distance then there may be some interruption or problems in receiving signals.
difference between lan and wan:
Full form of wan is wide area network. They both are used in building connection between computers but there are some differences among the two.
wan vs LAN:
- Wan is used for building connection in large areas while the other one is used for a limited area.
- Speed of wan is slower.
- There are more error in transmitting data in a wan than the other network connection.
- The bandwidth available in wan is also less than the one in LAN.
- In fact the internet that connects us is the wan, the largest wan.
Issues in LAN and their solution:
Some common issues aced by people using this network connection are listed below long with their causes
- Some times the cables get damage that may result in error and interference in connection. Thus the physical layer gets damages in this case.
- There may be some problem with the networking device also that may be a cause of hindrance in getting a good connection. This result In damage in the network layer.
- There may be problem in the switches also.
wide area network advantages and disadvantages:
- By using it you don’t need to have separate servers for different building. You just need to have one in the main office. Thus server management becomes quite easier.
- Privacy is also one of its major benefit. You can share private files easily with other users without sending them online.
- Have made communication much easier.
- It is a little bit complex.
- It is expensive.
- It needs to be taken good care of. So its security is also an issue.
metropolitan area network :
This network is quite different form the above two because it is used in area greater than LAN but smaller than WAN. No doubt this network connection provides a good speed. Wireless MAN area also introduced. The area covered by it is up-to 50 km.
campus area network:
It is used to links building. It consists of ether-net. It is a type of the network connection that covers area that is a little bit smaller than MAN.
Now I am sure you must have known what is LAN, its usage ad other types of network connection. There are many hidden benefits in using this technology. Due to its awesome performance, speed and security its usage is increasing from time to time. To enjoy a better connectivity I would suggest you to try it.