Hey, wait!! Do you need to know what is LAN, what does it mean, other types of network and some more information related to this topic? All information that you need to know about this subject and some more issues relating to it are discussed in this article. Some of the most important points that are explained in this article are:
- LAN cable and driver
- How to network two computers?
- WLAN setup
- WAN vs. LAN.
- Metropolitan area network.
- Campus area network.
What is LAN?
It connects devices within a particular area. The minimum number of users, in this case, are two. In this type of networking, cables are used that connect the computers.
Full form of LAN:
Its full form is local area network. It builds connection among devices by wires.
What does LAN mean?
The concept came in 1960 when people felt the need of a connection between devices by which they could share resources quickly. For this reasons, some experiments were done as a result of which Ethernet was introduced. In its cabling first, coaxial cable was used then STP (shielded twisted paired)wiring protected them.
Thus it includes two main things. These are
What is LAN cable and driver?
Cable is used in networking. Different wiring is available for such cables. It consists of a plug also. They provide excellent performance. The two ends of the cable should be kept at a nearer distance so that they may receive signals quickly. It’s two types are:
- Standard cables
- Crossover cables
- It helps operating system to do networking settings and build communication with the network card; these drivers are soft-wares in your device.
- They are also termed as network drivers.
- They help to run the device and also check the hardware necessities for establishing a connection.
How to network two computers?
There are many ways to connect two computers together for the purpose of sharing stuff like files and other works. Some of them are discussed here:
- The first way to connect it by Ethernet cable. You can use an Ethernet cable to build a connection. An Ethernet adapter is also required.
- You can also do it by building up a network connection. Use ping command for this purpose.
- USB hubs can also be used for this purpose.
- The wireless connection can also be set up. Some common form of wireless connection includes Bluetooth, WiFi and infrared.
Wireless LAN setup:
WLAN is the term referred as wireless LAN; it is also known as a lawn (local area wireless network). In this type of network connection, a wireless device can be connected to any regard. For this purpose, a wireless LAN adapter is also used. The connection is established for a limited area range
what wireless LAN adaptor is?
It is a network card that is used to get access to a connection using a port that is on a device( PC or laptop or any other device of this sort). They resemble USB flash drives physically. By the help of this impressive technology, you can easily share files or whatever you intend to.
What do a LAN cable and port look like?
They may come in different sizes and shapes but the that is common among them all is the rectangular connector present at both ends. Normally such cables have up to 8 wires. These are then plugged into ports. These ports are bigger in size than the wires; this is because they may quickly put it into them.
One thing should be kept in mind, the two ends of cables are too close to each other for better performance. If they are at the much larger distance, then there may be some interruption or problems in receiving signals.
The difference between LAN and WAN:
Full form of WAN is wide area network. They both are used in building the connection between computers, but there are some differences among the two.
Wan vs. LAN:
- Wan is used for creating the link in vast areas while the other one is used for a limited area.
- The speed of WAN is slower.
- There is more error in transmitting data in a WAN than the other network connection.
- The bandwidth available in Wan is also less than the one in LAN.
- In fact, the internet that connects us is the WAN, the largest WAN.
Issues in LAN and their solution:
Some common problems faced by people using this network connection are listed below along with their causes
- Sometimes the cables get damage that may result in error and interference in connection. Thus the physical layer gets damages in this case.
- There may be some problem with the networking device also that may be a cause of hindrance in getting a real connection. This result In damage in the network layer.
- There may be the problem in the switches also.
Wide area network advantages and disadvantages:
- By using it, you don’t need to have separate servers for a different building. You just need to have one in the central office. This server management becomes quite easier.
- Privacy is also one of its primary benefits. You can share private files easily with other users without sending them online.
- Have made communication much easier.
- It is a little bit complex.
- It is expensive.
- It needs to be taken good care of. So its security is also an issue.
Metropolitan area network:
This system is different from the above two because it is used in a field greater than LAN but smaller than WAN. No doubt this network connection provides a good speed. Wireless MAN area also introduced. The area covered by it is up to 50 km.
Campus area network:
It is used to links building. It consists of Ethernet. It is a type of the network connection that covers the area that is a little bit smaller than MAN.
Now I am sure you must have known what LAN, it is useful and other types of network connection are. There are many hidden benefits in using this technology. Due to its remarkable performance, speed and security its usage are increasing from time to time. To enjoy a better connectivity, I would suggest you try it.