The world is moving with technology.
Now many of us use the wireless internet instead of Ethernet connection on our PC.
Whereas laptops, tablets, and mobiles are connected to wireless internet only.
Due to an increase in the use of this wireless technology, user experiences many problems, and one keeps asking why is my WIFI so slow all of a sudden?
If you are one of them, no need to be sad now.
You will find the solution to those and other related problems here in this article.
Table of Contents
- Why is My WiFi So Slow All of a Sudden?
- Bandwidth Issues:
- Good WiFi Speed:
- Speed That You Can Expect in Ideal Circumstances:
- WIFI Connection Problems:
- Why is My WiFi Connection Download Speed So Slow?
- Google Play Store Not Working on WiFi:
- Connection Problems in Windows 8.1:
Why is My WiFi So Slow All of a Sudden?
The wireless network is mostly used in modern devices like smartphones, tablets, and laptops.
It provides an ease to its users to use the internet without the need of any cable which provides the internet access to his device.
But when this network does not fulfil requirements, the user gets upset.
The slow wireless network makes your life worst.
It is a moment of patience for the user because he can’t do anything when his wireless network goes down or is unable to connect.
Well before complaining about the WiFi connection issues, you need to make sure that what you are expecting with its speed is correct, i.e., the speed is slow.
- To confirm the slow connection speed, run a speed test with a device that is using an ethernet connection and then compares the speed of both the wired and the wireless connection.
- If the device having the ethernet connection is providing the real expected speed, then there is an issue with your wireless connection.
Well, it doesn’t always mean that you will get the specific data that your speed test reveals.
For example, if the connection that you have provides you a downstream of 30mbps, then this doesn’t guarantee that that server has to offer the same upstream speed to you too.
- That’s undoubtedly a lot of bandwidth, and you are not the single person connecting to it.
- Many sites do not have much bandwidth, and therefore they aren’t able to match your speed every time.
- Thus this means that sometimes the connecting server has flaws and there is no issue with your connection in such cases.
Good WiFi Speed:
So you need to know what a reasonable speed is in this case.
It is defined according to the bandwidth also.
If it does not meet your requirement and is unable to fulfill your need than it is not a good one for you, so you should upgrade your package.
Thus if it allows you to work online smoothly, it is right for you otherwise it is meant to be replaceable.
Speed That You Can Expect in Ideal Circumstances:
- The downstream can be around 5-80mbps.
- It also depends on the quality of the reception.
- The downstream can be around 25-30mbps.
- It can be much less to in case you have poor reception.
- Bandwidth can be boosted by using certain routers and different technologies.
- MIMO can also be used.
- The downstream can be around 5-15mbps.
- You need to upgrade your router in this case.
WIFI Connection Problems:
These problems arise because of many causes.
Some of them are discussed below:
a) Router Position:
It may be due to the position of the router.
Its position may not be correct which interrupts in receiving signal.
Note where you have kept your router.
If it is in a place such that it is maintained behind some object or is located downward, then you must change its position and make it as high as possible, so that signal spread widely.
The range is also an essential factor.
You should not be too far from your router.
Keep in mind the range of your network and try to be within it.
c) Noises and Interferences:
Noises can weaken your signals.
Also, some other wireless interferences prove to be a cause of distraction.
Try to keep the connection device, on which Bluetooth is on, at some distance from router because they can cause interference in signals.
d) Downloading Large Files:
Downloading a large and cumbersome file can cause signals to be weak on other devices.
Keep in mind how much download capacity your connection provides to you and be in it.
e) Number of Users:
It also gets weaken when there are a large number of users.
f) Device Type:
It depends on the devices also.
Some devices connect better to the internet through wireless connection while some provide excellent performance in case of Ethernet wires.
g) Signal Congestion:
You use radio waves while connecting to a wireless network.
The space available is limited on the airwaves.
Thus your wireless speed is also dependent on the number of routers nearby.
h) Full Duplex System:
Wifi devices cant send and receive data at the same time.
This is the reason they are referred to as the half-duplex system.
On the other hand, a wired connection is a full duplex system, which can send data in both ways.
Why is My WiFi Connection Download Speed So Slow?
Life becomes quite miserable for an internet user when he has a good upload speed but can’t download anything fast. But now the solution to this problem is no more hidden.
Let me tell you how to solve this headache.
Log into your router settings, and from there you need to disable WMM support and now right to go with your download speed.
Now I am pretty much sure you think what WMM is?
It is a feature that prioritizes traffic that is time-dependent.
If it is active then your download speed will be slow, disable it first to get a good download speed along with fast upload speed.
Some other attempts to solve this problem may include:
- Changing wireless channel
- Modifying security settings
- Resetting the router
- Checking the DNS host
- Check the ipv6 settings whether they are correct or not.
- Shut down your all network, unplug your modem and then plug in it again.
Also Checkout the Infographic on Wifi Security
Google Play Store Not Working on WiFi:
The possible solutions to this are:
- Go to connection settings of the device in which this problem arose, then go to more, choose the option saying smart network and switch it off.
- You may try to solve this by clearing the cache.
- There may be any data on the cache that might be the cause of this issue.
- Log out of your Google account and then log in it again.
- Check your date and time from settings.
- Remove proxy.
- Uninstall any update that is of no concern to you.
- Check which version of Google play store you have and try installing the latest one.
- Restart your device.
Why is My WiFi so Slow on My iPhone?
The solution is not much complicated.
First, try to switch off your cell phone and switch to it again and then check the speed.
To solve this issue, follow the steps below.
- Press the home and power button at a time for almost 10-15 seconds and then release it when you see the apple logo. Set the network once more.
- Turn off the mobile data from cellular data setting if you are not using it. This might solve this issue very fast.
- Installing IOS 8 may also be helpful in this case.
- Another cause may be that you have an app active on your phone that might be causing this issue.
- Just figure out after installation of which app/software this problem begin and delete it if it is of less or no use.
Connection Problems in Windows 8.1:
To solve this go to network adaptor settings and from there update the driver software and then restart the device.
Another way to address this is from the command prompt.
You need to enter some specific command to disable the settings of TCP/IP.
Well if your WiFi issue isn’t fixed then you can also convert WiFi to Ethernet.
Wireless internet is our invisible friend that equips us to work anytime from anywhere.
It is a necessity in our daily life.
This relationship also turns sours when its speed becomes an issue, and it slows to crawl.
You better have got a solution to the question of why is my WiFi so slow is and how to speed up the internet connection.
By following the guidance in the article above you will surely get a slow wireless speed issue resolved.
A router restart also solves issues most of the time.
Do let me inform in the comments below if this article solved your problem or you need any more help in this regard.