You might be worried about the excessive heating of your PC.
High temperature can damage your CPU which in turn affects our PC. It can also cause the fan making grinding noises.
You must check your CPU temperature from time to time.
Well, no need to worry about it now.
This article will let you know in-depth about it.
This article targets not only one OS.
You will know how to check the CPU temperature in Windows, Linux, and Mac.
In this way, you will be able to increase the lifespan of your PC.
- 1 How to Check CPU Temperature on Windows Vista, 7,10,8?
- 1.1 Check CPU Temperature BIOS
- 1.2 How to Check CPU Temperature Without BIOS?
- 1.3 Check CPU Temperature Mac
- 1.4 How to Check CPU Temperature in Linux?
- 1.5 How to Check Laptop Temperature?
- 1.6 How to Stop the Computer From Overheating?
- 1.7 Motherboard Overheating Symptoms
- 1.8 Conclusion
How to Check CPU Temperature on Windows Vista, 7,10,8?
Details about the CPU temp is provided to your OS by the BIOS. It is displayed in Celsius and not in Fahrenheit.
Check CPU Temperature BIOS
You can check it from BIOS.
BIOS stands for the basic input-output system. It refers to software in your motherboard that allows you to access different settings.
From BIOS, you can control different settings of your PC. You will need to restart your device to go into the bios settings.
Follow these steps to get the information you desire.
- First, reboot your PC.
- When the screen opens up, press the BIOS key to get into the bios settings.
- From the bios settings go into the hardware monitor.
- Here you can check the details you desired.
A Knockout Post How to Build Your Own Computer?
How to Check CPU Temperature Without BIOS?
If your motherboard has a built-in capability for checking it, then you can check it quickly from your computer, but if that’s not the case, then you will need to get a third-party software installed on your PC.
Software to Check the Temperature of CPU
Many free software are available for this purpose. Some of the popular ones are listed below:
- Core Temp (Use the latest version)
- (OHM)Open Hardware Monitor
- CPU thermometer
- Battery care
These software are pretty much easy to use.
You just need to download any of these. Then extract them. Install the software.
After the installation is finished just run the software and all your desired details will be displayed to you.
Check CPU Temperature Mac
A free app for this purpose is fanny. You just need to download it, and a menu bar icon will be displayed to you by the app.
This app contains the information you need.
Some other apps that you can use for this purpose are:
- Mac fan control
- Temperature monitor
How to Check CPU Temperature in Linux?
You can do it by using Linux monitoring sensors.
The software is free to use. Modern Linux OS have this software installed already.
After the installation process is completed, type in the following command for its configuration.
You might be thinking that what does this sensor detect?
It is a program that detects the hardware installed.
It also recommends some module. After this enter the command
Now the details that you need to know about your CPU will be displayed to you.
To observe the real-time information type the command ‘Watch sensors’.
How to Check Laptop Temperature?
If the fan of your laptop is continuously running then most probably it is an indication that your laptop’s temperature is quite high.
This overheating can damage your laptop. Check the laptop’s fan, any dust in it can also cause a problem.
Some issues that you might face in this case are listed below.
- In such case of overheating your laptop screen might start freezing frequently. It may also shut down at some random time.
- Due to overheating you may also see some unexpected error on your laptop.
- Its speed will decrease, and the laptop will work slowly than its actual working speed.
- Also, the battery of the laptop stops charging.
Overheating can also result in a black screen when turning on the laptop.
50-70 degree Celsius is regarded as the optimal temperature for a computer.
You can use speed fan and core temp to get this information about your laptop.
Average and Maximum Temperature (in ° C) for CPU
The maximum value is:
- For a core2 duo, the maximum amount is 73.3
- For the core2 quad, this value is 71.
- For Pentium dual-core and Core 2 Extreme, the maximum value is 100
- Pentiums D and Pentium extreme edition have this value of 69.8
- Pentium 4 extreme edition has the maximum amount of 72.8
The standard temperature value (in ° C ) in this regard is :
- For corei3-7350K it is 45-60
- For corei5-7600K it is 45-65
How to Stop the Computer From Overheating?
- Your room temperature can also affect it.
- Check the CPU fan. If it is blocked, then your device will have to suffer.
- It can be cleaned using compressed air.
- Change the heat sink. This replacement can save your device from significant damage.
- Change the place of your computer.
- To avoid overheating, you might need to install a case fan.
- Case fan refers to a small fan that you can attach to the front or back of your PC
- Change the power supply.
- Make use of a water cooling kit.
- Use the phase change units.
Motherboard Overheating Symptoms
If you find your computer not working suddenly then the issue is most probably with the motherboard.
Also if the need arises to replace the motherboard then most often the memory and CPU also get replaced.
Some signs that indicate an issue with the motherboard are:
- The motherboard is unable to recognize peripherals.
- Peripherals won’t work for a few seconds or more than that.
- Slow boot-ups also indicate that there is an issue with the motherboard.
- The computer is unable to recognize the monitor or flash drives.
- Burning smell. This also includes burns on the motherboard.
- Leaking capacitors
Some steps by which you can know if your motherboard is having issues are:
Check if your PC passes the POST test.
If it doesn’t pass it or even doesn’t turn on, then there is most probably a hardware failure.
Also, check the devices on boot up.
Overheating decreases the lifespan of your devices and damaged them severely.
Thus you must know the method to get this information regardless of the OS you are using.
In this way, you can save your devices from overheating.
You should know how to check the CPU temperature in Windows, Linux, and Mac?
This knowledge can be quite helpful for you.
You would enjoy reading What is UPS Battery Backup Power Supply for Computer?