Slow computers can make some simple daily tasks quite annoying.
PC clogging up will cause your blood to boil too.
It starts freezing and takes forever to load.
If you know how to fix computer slowness, then you won’t have to run out to the repair shop and pay some $$$ or bug your tech friend to fix it.
This way, you will get a chance to try something new and end up fixing the issue.
- 1 How to Fix Computer Slowness and Speed Up Performance?
- 1.1 Reboot
- 1.2 Uninstall Unused Programs
- 1.3 Stop Unwanted Startups
- 1.4 Browser Overloaded
- 1.5 Delete Temporary Files
- 1.6 Disk Defragmentation
- 1.7 Scan for Viruses
- 1.8 Hardware Conflicts
- 1.9 Updates
- 1.10 More RAM
- 1.11 Clean Computer Hard Drive
- 1.12 Make Use of an SSD
- 1.13 Clean Out Your PC’s Insides
- 1.14 Cloud Services
- 1.15 Registry Issues
- 1.16 Processor Speed
- 1.17 Old PC
- 1.18 Reduce Animations
- 1.19 Speed Up PC Software
- 1.20 Final Word
How to Fix Computer Slowness and Speed Up Performance?
Slow computers are a hassle.
There are several things affecting the performance of your PC.
Well, by following the methods explained ahead in this article, you prevent your system from flickering and slowing down.
The first solution is to reboot your PC. Rebooting refers to reloading the computer’s operating system.
How to Reboot a Computer?
To do so, Hold down your laptop’s power button for 1-3 seconds, and it will turn off.
Uninstall Unused Programs
Many PCs come with a lot of pre-installed programs.
These contain some such programs too that you might not use ever. They run in the background and make your PC slower.
It is important to remove these programs in order to speed up your PC.
- From the start, the menu goes to the control panel.
- Click on ‘programs and features.’
- Then uninstall the programs from the list that you won’t use.
Stop Unwanted Startups
Some programs start running on turning on the PC.
Spotify and Skype are among such programs.
They use the memory and make your pc slow.
- Click start
- Type run and in the dialog box type ‘MSConfig.’
- In the box that appears, switch to the startup tab, and you will have the list of applications that run on startup.
- Disable the unnecessary ones.
If you have opened up a lot of tabs in the browser, then this can also decrease the system speed.
This is because each browser tab and window consumes some processing power and memory.
To know which ones are consuming more power, view the breakdown of all tabs and extension in the task manager window.
Also Checkout Quad-core Processor vs. Dual-core
Delete Temporary Files
When you install any program, there are some temporary files that remain in your PC.
Deleting them will free up some great space.
You will have to delete these files manually as the disk cleanup won’t delete them.
- Open ‘My computer.’
- Open the main drive.
- From there, click on the windows folder.
- Open the folder named ‘Temp.’
- From there, delete the older files.
- Also, empty the recycle bin.
Defragmenting optimizes the efficiency of the hard drive.
- Go to ‘My Computer.’
- Then Right-click the hard drive and click on properties.
- Go to tool tabs and you will find the option ‘Defragment Now.’
Scan for Viruses
Viruses also make the computer slower.
In such a case, you need to install antivirus software that will offer your pc active protection from such viruses.
Some hardware conflicts in Device Manager can also cause this issue.
Thus relieve such conflicts.
It is important to update your windows.
Also, update other software, drivers, and browser plugins.
If you don’t have enough RAM, then your PC will have a mirror stroke on flickering between two or more apps.
Thus you need to upgrade RAM to make it speedy.
Clean Computer Hard Drive
Doing so will clean up your whole system.
- Click start.
- Goto ‘all programs’
- Then move to accessories.
- From system tools, you will find the disk cleanup option.
Make Use of an SSD
If you find your PC taking a lot of time to boot up and get ready to work, then the issue is with its faulty hard drive.
The moving components of the hard drive make the process a bit time-consuming.
In such a case, you need to use an SSD as it has the capability to read data at a faster pace.
This way, it speeds up the start-up process.
Clean Out Your PC’s Insides
Sometimes dust sticks on the cooling fan, which results in overheating of the system.
You can clean the insides of the system by a vacuum.
Don’t forget to disconnect the PC from the main switch while doing so.
If you don’t find much space on your PC, then you can store some of your documents and files on the cloud.
This way, you will witness an increase in your PC’s performance.
Moreover, you will be able to access those files from any other device with an internet connection.
Fixing registry errors will also offer you a smoother experience.
Processor speed also has a greater impact, and upgrading it will surely increase your system’s speed.
You have two ways to do so.
Some older PCs aren’t able to run the latest software programs.
Thus if your PC is more than seven years old, then it is time to buy a new advanced system or upgrade the existing one. Well you can do some exciting stuff with your old PC or also build a new computer.
Windows make use of some animations that can make your PC slower.
By disabling these animations, the windows will do some operations instantly and won’t consume more time.
- Right, click the start button and click on the ‘system.’
- Click on ‘Advanced system settings.’
- Then from the performance tab, click on ‘settings.’
- Disable the animations by choosing the option ‘adjust for best performance.’
- You can also disable some selective animations by selecting the option ‘custom.’
Speed Up PC Software
There is some impressive software that will help you speed up your cluttered PC in no time.
You can enjoy some of them for free while some come in premium versions.
- Ashampoo WinOptimizer
- Piriform CCleaner
- IObit Advanced SystemCare
- Glary Utilities
Waiting while working on a PC is quite frustrating.
Well, you need not make some tiring efforts to solve it.
Just some manageable steps will let you have lasting results.
By following these steps, you can not only know how to fix computer slowness but also save a lot of your valuable time.