If you intend to know how to upgrade RAM on the laptop for free without buying, then this article will guide you completely in this regard. Storage devices play an important role in speeding up the system. To boost the performance of the computer, the PC memory upgrade is sometimes essential.
- 1 How to Upgrade RAM on the Laptop For Free Without Buying?
- 2 1) Prepare Things to Install the RAM in a laptop
- 3 2) How to Install RAM in a Laptop?
- 4 What is a RAM on the Computer?
- 5 What Does RAM Do in a Computer?
- 6 How Does RAM Work?
- 7 Different Types of Computer RAM
- 8 How Much Memory Do I Need For Laptop?
- 9 Memory Restrictions
- 10 Can You Add RAM to a Laptop?
- 11 Can I Upgrade My Laptop RAM to 8GB?
- 12 Adding More RAM to Laptop
- 13 How to Upgrade Dedicated Video RAM on a Laptop?
- 14 How to Upgrade or Increase RAM in Laptop Using HDD?
- 15 Final Words
How to Upgrade RAM on the Laptop For Free Without Buying?
To upgrade it, you will need to install more Random Access Memory cards on your computer.
This applies to both, i.e., a desktop computer and a laptop.
Well, some PCs do not allow upgrading.
In such cases, you can use portable like a USB flash drive to increase the Random Acces Memory temporarily.
Checkout Flash Storage vs. SSD
1) Prepare Things to Install the RAM in a laptop
a) Find Computer Information
First, you need to find information about your computer’s model.
The things you need to know are:
- Computer type
- Manufacturer name
- Model number
To find this thing follow the steps below:
- From the start, go to ‘system information.’
- Hee, you will quickly find the system details (Model, SKU, and Manufacturer).
b) Find Upgrade Details
The next step is to know whether your computer model supports this upgrade, and if yes, then which memory type is suitable in this case.
You can get these details from the Crucial Memory advisor website.
c) Searching For Computer Model
- On the site mentioned above, click the box saying ‘select manufacturer.’
- Click on the name of your PC’s manufacturer.
- Select the product name.
- Select the model
- Click on the find update button.
- Check the results to see if an upgrade is possible.
2) How to Install RAM in a Laptop?
a) Turn off the Device And Remove Cables
- Turn off your laptop by clicking the shutdown button.
- Please wait for some time, so it stops making any noise.
- Unplug all cables, including the USB attachment and power cables and ethernet cables.
b) Removing the Bottom Panel
Remove the bottom panel of the laptop.
In some laptops, a separate panel is specified for this memory, while in some cases, the need arises to remove the entire bottom case from the computer.
You can find these panels’ details in the documentation of your laptop.
c) How to Remove Old RAM From the Laptop And Insert the New One?
- You can use a lever to lift the RAM cards from its slot.
- Then remove the new one from there protective bags
- Touch the card along their edge to avoid contact with the circuitry.
c) The Installation Process
- Line up the new card in the socket with the notch.
- Press the card firmly.
- Repeat the same process for the other card
d) Switch on the Laptop
- Put on the bottom panel.
- Turn on your laptop.
- Open the system properties to check if the OS recognizes the new card that you just installed.
e) Use USB Drive as an External RAM For Laptop:
- Plug the USB drive into the computer’s USB slot.
- From the file explorer, select your USB drive.
- Mostly it is in the F drive.
- Open the flash drive’s properties.
- Click the tab termed as the ReadyBoost.
- Check the box saying ‘Use this device.’
- By checking this box, you allow the windows to use the maximum available space on this flash drive for the RAM.
- Wait for some seconds so that the ReadyBoost displays your drivers’ information.
- Click Apply then OK
When you unplug this USB, you will need to do the setting in the ReadyBoost menu again to use it as RAM.
Let us have some knowledge about RAM too.
What is a RAM on the Computer?
Programs and data use it to hold the information that is accessed recently.
- If you install more of it on your PC/laptop, you will see an improvement in data transfer between CPU, memory, and hard drives.
- If your PC doesn’t have much of this memory, then the OS makes use of the hard drive. It uses hard drives as virtual memory.
What Does RAM Do in a Computer?
This memory is different from the mass storage devices like hard disk or SSD.
- Although the information transfer occurs between these two, there is some significant difference between these two.
- The mass storage devices keep the data even when the power is turned off, while Random Access Memory loses all the data in case of a power shutdown.
- No doubt, it loses its contents in case of the shutdown. Still, it is much faster than mass storage devices.
- Its speed is in nanoseconds, while the rate of the mass storage device is in milliseconds.
- Adding more and more Random Access Memory will make the OS more powerful.
To know which memory type your laptop uses, search in its manual.
You will find the right name there.
The memory upgrade is quite essential for a PC, so you need to know how it works before upgrading it.
You would enjoy reading RAM vs. Storage.
How Does RAM Work?
- Its data can be accessed randomly.
- It consists of transistors that are powered electrically.
- They are bonded together.
- This transistor configuration contains binary data.
In this way, it allows quick data access.
To retain the data, it must be powered on.
When your computer does some work, it puts some data in the Random Access Memory and then operates from there.
Different Types of Computer RAM
It is used as cache memory in the CPU and also as the buffer in the hard drives.
- The LCD screen also uses it as temporary storage.
- It is integrated into the chip.
No Periodic Refreshes
- Static Random Access Memory does not need to refresh periodically.
- Refreshing memory refers to reading the data from some specific memory area and then rewriting the information in the same place again.
- Its architecture does not allow this refresh.
Synchrouound Dynamic Random Access Memory works in sync with the processor bus
The connection between the processor and other motherboard components is called the processor bus is referred to as the processor bus.
- DIMM module with 168 pins uses this memory.
- The bus’s speed rates this memory.
- For example, PC100 refers to the 100MHz bus speed.
3) DDR SDRAM
The SDRAM performed one transfer per block, while this one shows two per clock.
- 184 pin DIMM memory modules have these chips.
- It is rated in MHz and MBps.
- The second generation of the system with DRAM use this one.
4) DDR2 SDRAM
Its speed is twice as compared as the speed of DDR SDRAM.
Thus it provides faster performance.
5) DDR3 SDRAM
- Its latency is higher than the DDR.
- It uses a 240 pin module.
6) DDR4 SDRAM
- Its speed is twice that of the DDR3 and is eight times faster than DDR.
- It has 288 pins.
Which Type is Most Commonly Used?
DDR1 is now obsolete and is not much used.
DDR2 and DDR3 are now mostly used as they provide better performance.
How Much Memory Do I Need For Laptop?
If you intend to know how much memory s needed, then look at the OS and requirements of other software you plan to run.
Some laptops have integrated graphics controller which use RAM for graphics.
For such a system, it is best to have not less than 4GB of memory.
Laptops have more memory restrictions as compared to desktops.
This because they mostly have two memory slots available. While on the desktop, there are four memory slots.
If you intend to upgrade the memory, then first check the maximum amount of memory in your laptop.
This will help you decide if the system has upgrade potentials or not.
Can You Add RAM to a Laptop?
Many laptops contain a small door in the system that can provide access to the memory module slots.
- If your laptop has this, then its memory upgrade is possible.
- A system that doesn’t have any external door or a panel cannot be upgraded as it is sealed.
- Sometimes experienced technicians can open it even if it does not have any external door.
- This will be a bit more expensive.
Can I Upgrade My Laptop RAM to 8GB?
Yes, sure, you can do it if your system allows you to do so. Check it from a memory finder first.
Laptop Memory Finder
You can also use a laptop memory finder to know if your layout is upgradeable or not.
The crucial Advisor tool is a useful tool of this sort.
There you can easily search and then find the information you need.
In such tools, you need to enter your laptop’s, and you will get all the details required.
You will get the details of the maximum memory for your machine.
Actually, some laptops have a restriction regarding the memory to be installed on them.
Installing more of it can cause some issues too.
Some system has a fixed memory space and can’t be upgraded.
Adding More RAM to Laptop
It might happen that the computer that you have been using for years starting working slowly.
Its performance decreases, and it feels sluggish now.
The issue might be with the memory. It needs to be upgraded.
Sometimes the issue is with the old hard drive.
Upgrading a laptop’s memory is a bit difficult than desktops.
Gazing at the components is more comfortable than removing the chips and replacing them.
It is a different ball game.
Sometimes upgrading it can inevitably result in a boost in performance.
- It would help if you bought a memory stick with a similar memory type, speed, width, and module voltage.
- After upgrading, although you might not witness any difference in performing day to day tasks on your laptop like browsing or watching movies.
- You will see a performance improvement while playing games or doing any CPU intensive work.
Also, it is important to have a look at the storage requirements of your laptop.
How to Upgrade Dedicated Video RAM on a Laptop?
Are you having an issue running graphics-intensive programs on your PC?
Well, if yes, then you need to upgrade the VRAM.
What is Video RAM?
VRAM is a type of Random Access Memory that works with your PC’s GPU.
- GPU is a chip on the computer’s video card that displays the images’ responsibility on your monitor screen.
- VRAM contains the information that GPU needs, for example, the information about the lighting effect, the game texture, etc
In this way, GPU can easily access the information a user output the video on your screen.
You might be wondering why the system Random Access Memory isn’t used for his purpose?
- Well, using VRAM for this specific purpose increases the performance and is faster.
- This is because this memory is located just next to the GPU.
- They both are on the graphics card.
- VRAM is specifically built for such high-intensity tasks.
How Much VRAM I Have?
To know the amount of VRAM in your Windows 10 PC, follow the steps below:
- Press Windows key + I.
- This will open the settings menu.
- Click display
- Click display adaptor properties.
- From the panel that pops up, go into the adaptor tab.
- Then look under the section saying adapter information.
- Here you will get your VRAM details.
What is Integrated Graphic?
The discussion we have done is by assuming that your PC has a dedicated graphics card.
- Some laptops and PCs don’t have such cards, and they use integrated graphics.
- In such a case, the GPU and CPU share the system memory, and there is no separate VRAM for the GPU.
- This solution is considered a budget-friendly solution since it allows the laptop to output very basic graphics.
- But such an integrated graphics solution is not suitable for gaming and visual intensive tasks.
Basic Guideline for Choosing the Amount of VRAM:
Well, there is no perfect solution in this regard, but some basic guidelines are discussed below:
- Such cards, although they offer better performance than the integrated graphics solution, can handle modern games.
- They aren’t recommended for the 3D work.
- They are used mostly for moderate gaming.
- With such cards, you can play the game with 1080p, but you will have to face some issues in doing so.
Such cards for serious gamers who intend to enjoy the latest game without any 4K resolution issue.
Why Upgrade the VRAM?
If VRAM fills up, then the system becomes dependent on the standard RAM.
In such a case, you will witness the following issue:
- Lower frame rate
- Text pop-ins
- Games slowing down
Well, this doesn’t mean that VRAM is the only factor responsible for improving system performance.
If you have a less powerful CPU, then video rendering will take much time; also, low system RAM will not allow you to run multiple programs at a time.
How to Increase VRAM?
The only way to do this is to purchase a new graphics card.
- There is no other way to increase it.
- It is a monolithic hardware. Therefore, no software will be able to improve it.
- If you have integrated graphics, then upgrade it to a dedicated card will improve video output quality.
How to Upgrade or Increase RAM in Laptop Using HDD?
You can do this by setting up a virtual memory in the OS by using HDD.
- If you enjoy multitasking, then virtual memory allocation will allow you to witness a boost in performance.
- This virtual memory is termed as the paging memory.
How to Use HDD As RAM?
Well, it is pretty much compelling.
To use your free HDD as page memory, follow the steps below:
- From the windows properties, open the advanced system settings.
- Click the Advanced tab.
- Click setting. You can find it under the performance tab.
- Go to the advanced tab.
- Uncheck the option that says ‘Automatically manage page size.’
- Choose the drive that you don’t use mostly.
- Set the recommend page memory.
If you know how to upgrade RAM on a laptop for free, then you can easily do this and boost your system’s performance.
PC memory upgrade sometimes becomes essential for a good system.
An amazing read How to Build Your Own Gaming Desktop Computer?