Many people ask how to fix my laptop mouse pad not working.
If you are also here with this question in your mind, then relax as you will get an in-depth answer to this question here in this article.
In this article, you will get the solution to touchpad not working and its scrolling issues too.
- 1 How to Fix My Laptop Mouse Pad is Not Working?
- 1.1 What is a Mousepad on a Laptop Called?
- 1.2 How to Use the Laptop Mouse Pad?
- 1.3 Do I Need a Mousepad?
- 1.4 What is a Mouse Pad Made of?
- 1.5 What is a Touchpad?
- 1.6 Why is My Laptop Mouse Not Working?
- 1.7 Laptop Mouse Pad Not Working Dell:
- 1.8 How to Fix Laptop Mouse Pad Not Working hp?
- 1.9 The Laptop Keyboard is Not Working:
- 1.10 Two Finger Scroll Not Working on Windows:
- 1.11 Final Words:
How to Fix My Laptop Mouse Pad is Not Working?
Have you ever faced an issue when your touchpad or mousepad don respond to your clicks or touches?
There is some serious problem when your laptop’s touchpad doesn’t respond to your fingers.
What is a Mousepad on a Laptop Called?
Laptop mousepad is formerly referred to as the touchpad.
You can use it to control the mouse by the thumb or my finger on a flat surface.
Buttons nearby refer to the right and left buttons.
How to Use the Laptop Mouse Pad?
- You can use your thumb to click the right-left button present on the bottom of the mousepad.
- Be careful while using it and don’t touch in more than one spot.
- Touch it with one finger and one spot at a time.
- One of the difficult task while using it the drag operation.
- You need to hold down a button when moving the pointer.
This can be done with practice. You might be thinking how to do the practice of this drag operation?
Well, this is just another cute excuse to play FreeCell game.
You can practice drag operation quite easily by playing it.
Left Right Mouse Buttons:
Also, try to avoid hitting the left mouse button when you intend to run the right one.
- Sometimes the wrong button is clicked in confusion too.
- When you intend to hit the left one and caught the right button by mistake the context menus will be open.
- This is no doubt very much frustrating.
Its many features can be enabled and disabled in the control panel settings.
Do I Need a Mousepad?
Computer mice are used in many forms.
They have been using with the mousepads, but the modern laser and optical mice don’t need a mousepad.
They can easily track on any surface.
Although they are not a necessity but using them have many benefits.
- PC gamers enjoy better gaming with a mouse pad.
- As long as your pointer works smoothly on a surface, you don’t need a mousepad.
Advantages of a Mouse Pad
- User Comfort
- More precision
- Higher speed
- Avoid the table surface worn by continuous mode rubbing motion.
What is a Mouse Pad Made of?
It is a surface used to place and moves the computer mouse.
It enhances the mouse usability.
Some mousepads also provide a padded wrist rest.
They are mostly made of rubber composites with fabric bonded on the upper surface.
Some other material types used are:
- Recycled rubber
- Stainless sell
High-quality gaming pads are mostly made up of high tech fiber and plastic.
How to Make a Mousepad?
Things you will need to make it are:
- Cut the cardboard of the size you want your mouse to be.
- Then cut the cloth in a way that it overlaps the cardboard by almost 0.5 inches.
- Tape down one side of the cloth
- Do the design and glue to attach the cardboard and fabric.
- Cover the cardboard back with tape.
Mouse Pad Substitute:
Some of the free alternatives include:
- A handbook cover
- Duct tape
- Wax paper
Some surfaces to avoid are:
- Glass tables
- An uneven surface
- Soft surfaces
What is a Touchpad?
It is also known as a trackpad.
Touchpads and trackpads are the same, and these terms can be used simultaneously.
It is a flat control surface that is used to move the cursor on the computer screen.
- They replace the mouse functionality in laptops.
- They are designed in a way that your finger controls them easily.
- The cursor moves by sliding the finger along the surface.
- They can easily detect linear motion and acceleration.
Some touchpads have two buttons referred to as the right clicks and the left click mouse buttons respectively.
In some laptops, these buttons are hidden in the bottom portion.
In this way, the touch surface is increased.
In such case, you need to press the lower right or, the smaller left area of the touchpad which corrosion t eh button clicks.
Multi-touch Technology in Touchpads:
Some trackpads contain multi-touch technology.
This technology is mostly found in touch screens devices.
- It allows you to perform a different function on your PC by using multiple fingers.
- You can use multiple fingers to zoom in and pinch an image or a document.
- Images can also be rotated by twisting two fingers.
- In the same way, Wiping left and right moves to another page in the document.
Why is My Laptop Mouse Not Working?
It is quite impossible to use a windows PC without a mouse or any other pointing device.
A simple reboot of the system solves many of such issues.
Therefore try it first.
If it doesn’t work, then try the methods discussed ahead in this article.
1) Accidentally Disabling of Touchpad:
The check of it is accidentally disabled or not.
The touchpad can enable and disable by using some key combinations.
It involves holding down one of the functions key and Fn key together.
- Fn key is usually present on the lower left corner of the keyboard.
- The function keys are from F1 to F12.
- It can be some other key too.
2) Enable Settings From Control Panel:
- Open the control panel.
- Click mouse.
- Select the last tab (ELAN tab) in the more properties window.
- This tab configures the touchpad. Its name can be different depending on the model of the touchpad.
- Then enable it from there.
3) Update Drivers:
- Check the touchpad driver from the laptop manufacturer’s website.
- Then download and install it to fix the issue.
4) Hardware Problems:
If all of the above methods don’t solve the issue then most probably there is some hardware problem.
- Your devices can be defective too.
- You need to send your laptop to the repair shop to get it solved.
- You can also consider buying an external mouse.
Laptop Mouse Pad Not Working Dell:
It is quite irritating when the on-screen cursor becomes unresponsive.
While working, you will witness your mousepad not working on your Dell laptop.
To fix it follow the tips below.
- Check the BIOS configuration and enable touchpad from there.
- Check if the touchpad is connected correctly to the main board or not.
- Sometimes the pad is broken too. If its warranty period is not over, then you can quickly get it repaired.
1) Uninstalling Drivers:
You can try uninstalling the touchpad drivers and then installing them again.
To do this follow these steps.
- Righ, click on my computer.
- Click on properties.
- Go to device manager add hem head over to Dell touchpad
- Click on uninstall.
- Once it is uninstalled, download the latest driver and install them.
- Then restart your laptop.
2) Fix Faulty Cursor Movement:
- Turn off your laptop.
- Remove all cords.
- Wipe down the trackpad surface, so it has no dirt.
- Turn on your laptop again.
- Test the trackpad to check if the issue is still there.
Also Read Computer Cable Types You Should Know
3) Laptop Mouse Pad Buttons Are Not Working:
- Remove mice from the device manager
- Reboot the device
- Then reinstall.
4) Blowing Compressed Air:
Slight lifts the touchpad buttons using a pin.
Then blow inside the compressed air.
5) Run Hardware Troubleshooter:
- Goto Control Panel.
- From the view by the option on the top-right corner, select large icons.
- Then go to troubleshooting.
- Click view all option.
- Click on hardware and devices.
- Run the troubleshooter.
- The troubleshooter will start detecting the issues.
6) Boot in Safe Mode:
In safe mode, your PC starts up with some limited files and drivers, but the Windows will still run in this case.
You can check the mousepad button click issue in safe mode.
- From the start button go to settings.
- Then click update and security.
- From the left pane, select recovery.
- Select advanced startup.
- Click the Restart now button.
- Select troubleshoot then choose the advanced option.
- Click restart by going into the startup settings.
- Then run in safe mode.
7) Run a System Scan:
- From the start menu type cmd
- Righ, click command prompt and run as administrator.
- Then type sfc/scannow.
- Press enter and then restart your system.
How to Fix Laptop Mouse Pad Not Working hp?
It is quite frustrating when the touchpad stops responding.
Some possible solutions to this issue are listed below:
Roll Back Touchpad Driver:
If the touchpad started creating problem after the system upgrades, then this means that it is not compatible with the latest update.
If that’s the real issue, then roll back the touchpad driver.
- Type in the Windows+R key to open the run box.
- Then type devmgmt.msc and click Ok.
- From the mice category, select the touchpad device and double-click on it.
- From the driver tab, click on the rollback driver button.
- Restart your system to check if the issue persists.
The Laptop Keyboard is Not Working:
You might have faced the problem that laptop’s keyboard stops working.
- First, you need to check if there is any physical damage to the laptop’s keyboard.
- Clean the keyboard with a brush and make sure that all dust is removed.
- Try solving the issue by reinstalling the keyboard drivers.
- If you think that any external software is responsible for this issue, then you can also reset keyboard settings to default to fix this issue.
If you experience a short lag time between the key pressed and the character displayed on the screen, then disable the filer keys.
Filter keys ignore the repeated keystroke to make typing easier but can also be an issue for people who have fast typing speed.
To disable it follow these steps.
- Go to settings
- Then go to the ease of access.
- From the left menu, select keyboard.
- There you will find the option to disable it.
Sometimes this issue can be due to a defective keyboard too.
Two Finger Scroll Not Working on Windows:
To solve it you need to enable the two-finger scrolling on your laptop.
Changing the source pointer also works in some cases.
1) Change the Mouse Pointer:
- From control panel go to hardware and sound.
- Go to devices and printer
- Then click the mouse.
- Select the new pointer from the settings.
2) Enable Two Finger Scroll:
- Open control panel.
- Then click on hardware and sound.
- From device and pointer click on the mouse.
- Click the device’s settings.
- Highlight the Synaptic Touch-pad and click the settings button.
- This setting tab will be displayed only if the touchpad is installed.
- Expand multi-finger gestures.
- Then enable two integer scrolling from there.
- Apply and save the changes.
By following these simple tips, you can surely troubleshoot the issue laptop mouse pad not working on your laptop.
You also need to know how to unlock mouse on your Hp and Dell laptop.
These things will be useful for you in troubleshooting your system.
If you have any further issues in this regard, do mention them in the comment section below. I would feel glad to answer your queries.
Do Read Surface Pen Not Writing