Is your surface pen not writing?
Then no need to be worried anymore.
In this article, you will get proper guidance in this regard.
Also, you will know how to use a surface pen.
Some of the main points covered in this article are:
- What is a Surface Pen?
- It’s history.
- How does it work?
- How to use it?
- How to fix surface pen not working?
- 1 What is a Surface Pen?
- 1.1 History:
- 1.2 How Does the Surface Pen Work?
- 1.3 How to Use Surface Pen?
- 1.4 Surface Pen Apps:
- 1.5 New Surface Pen Compatibility:
- 2 Why is Surface Pen Connected But Not Writing?
- 2.1 1) Pen Tip Damaged:
- 2.2 2) Connection With Bluetooth:
- 2.3 3) Issue With Pen Battery:
- 2.4 Surface Pro Will Not Turn On:
- 2.5 Surface Pro4 Pen Not Writing, But Buttons Work:
- 3 Final Words:
What is a Surface Pen?
- It is a stylus introduced by Microsoft for the touchscreen devices.
- It is referred to as the digital pen.
Uptil now its four generations have been introduced.
Its first version came in 2012 as Surface Pro.
- It used enabled technology.
- It consists of a button.
- This button performs the function of right click.
- It also consists of an eraser tip which removes the ink strokes on display.
In 2014, the new version of the surface pen i.e surface pro 3 was launched.
- It was based on N-trig technology.
- The eraser tip that was included in the other generation was removed from this generation.
- The physical button is now used for the erasing function.
- A button that is present at the tip is now used for sending Bluetooth signals to communicate with the paired devices.
This pen used two batteries for different operations.
One battery was used for the buttons while the other one for stylus operation.
Surface Pro 4:
The third generation includes the release of surface pro 4.
- The change from the previous version is that now instead of two buttons on the side, only one is present now.
- The top-mounted eraser is now back.
- It was compatible with the older versions.
- Latency in this newer version drops a bit.
The 2017 edition of surface pro was introduced in this generation.
- This newer version can easily detect up to 4096 level pressure. This was not included in the earlier generations.
- It is considered to be the fastest pen on the planet because of its reduced latency whose value is 21 milliseconds.
How Does the Surface Pen Work?
The surface tablets are now independent of the electromagnetic induction.
The pens use an internal battery.
This emits an RF signal at the pen’s tip which is then recognized by the digitizer which finds the tip’s coordinates.
The signal contains information about the pressure on the pen’s tip
This pressure information is used for finding the user’s intention, i.e., whether the pen is in contact with the screen or it is just being hovered on the screen.
How to Use Surface Pen?
You can easily connect with the device using the surface pen.
- It helps you to write and draw on touch screens.
- It also has an eraser.
How to Pair Surface Pen?
These pens make use of Bluetooth technology to connect with the device.
To make it discoverable, press the top button and hold it for about 6 seconds. Then you will witness a light on the pen’s flat side.
After your pen is connected to the surface via Bluetooth, you can use the pen.
a) Pressing Top Button Once:
On pressing the top button once, the ink workspace will be opened in front of you.
b) Pressing and Holding the Top Button:
On pressing the top button and holding it for some time, sticky notes will be opened in front of you.
c) Double Click:
This will open up the screen sketch for you.
You can draw what you desire using the sketch pad tools.
Write and Draw:
You can use this pen in any app that supports the inking features.
A point will appear on the touchscreen when you bring the pen close to the screen.
Then all inputs on the screen will be ignored, and you could quickly draw on the screen.
Use With Surface Dial:
You can use the surface dial and pen together to access shortcuts, drawing tool and much more easily.
Customize Pen Settings:
You can adjust the pressure sensitivity of the pen according to your writing style.
You can also change the pen tip.
Surface Pen Apps:
The pen provides an extra layer of productivity.
You can explore more features by using the apps listed below.
In this way, you will surely be more predictive than before.
- Windows Ink Workspace
- MS Office
- Notebook Pro
- Drawboard PDF
New Surface Pen Compatibility:
The new pen on the market is compatible with the following generations.
- Surface Book
- Surface 3
- Surface Pro 3
- Surface Pro 4
- Surface Studio
- Surface Laptop
Why is Surface Pen Connected But Not Writing?
If the surface pro doesn’t respond on contact with the pen, then the issue is with the pen.
1) Pen Tip Damaged:
If the pen tip is damaged or broken, then you need to replace it. You can easily find a new one at electronic stores.
2) Connection With Bluetooth:
Make sure the two devices are connected with the Bluetooth.
If the issue is still there then from settings, select your device and remove it.
Pair it again to check if the problem is gone.
3) Issue With Pen Battery:
Sometimes the pen battery is not working, and you need to replace it.
Battery Not Charging:
If the battery level does not increase on charging it, then the cell has some issues.
You might also see the message ‘Not Charging.’
Surface Pen Battery Life:
The pen uses the Quad-A(AAAA) battery.
It has a one year warranty. The warranty period stats form the purchase date.
Many issues in this pen can be resolved just by replacing the battery.
Follow the steps below to replace the battery.
- To unlock the clip, twist the cap in an anticlockwise direction. Then pull the cap.
- Remove the battery and then insert the new one.
- The negative end of the battery will go into the pen’s body.
- Line you the cap and the pen and then push the lid on the one to lock it.
Surface Pro Will Not Turn On:
On pressing the button, if the device doesn’t work then have a look at some troubleshooting tips below.
Some issues may be responsible for this problem.
A low battery and the sleep mode are some of such issues.
1) Check the Power Cord:
On plugging in the surface pro 4 to the outlet, if the LED light doesn’t lit then the problem is most likely with the power cord.
In this case, you need to replace the wire.
2) Device Stuck in Sleep Mode:
- First, you need to force restart your pen.
- To do this, hold down the power button for almost 40 seconds. Then release the button.
- Turn on the device by pressing the power button once.
- If the issue is still there then follow the step 2.
- Hold down the power button like before for almost 40 seconds. Then release the power button.
- Afterward, hold down the two buttons at a time for 20 seconds. These two buttons include the volume up button and the power button.
- Then wait for some time (almost 15 seconds) and turn on the device by the power button.
If the above-explained solutions don’t work for you, then the issue is most probably with the power button of your device, and you need to replace it.
The faulty power button causes such issues too.
Replace it and then try starting the device again.
How to Sync Surface Pen?
The pen refreshes with the introduction of every new generation.
Before syncing the pen, please make sure it has a battery, and it is in a working condition.
Also, make sure the surface app is installed on the surface device.
This app is free to use.
- From the start button, open the settings
- Go to devices.
- Then from the left side, click on the Bluetooth option.
- Enable the Bluetooth connection on the device ad the pen.
- Connect both of them.
- Configure the pen from the surface appear after it is being connected to the device through Bluetooth.
- From this app, you can also customize the action on pressing each of the buttons.
Surface Pro4 Pen Not Writing, But Buttons Work:
Thee are different fixes for this issue. The issue can be mostly fixed by rebooting the device.
1) Issue With Display:
If the screen remains blank during operations, then the screen has some problems.
In such cases, the screen will not respond to any touches.
Also, clean the screen with any soft cloth to remove the dirt.
Disabling / Enabling the Touch Display:
Disable the touch display and then enable it again.
Also, check if the screen is broken form any side. In such case, you will need to replace the screen.
2) Update Drivers:
Update the device’s drivers.
Surface Pen Not Writing After Update:
There is most likely to be a driver error, or the update is not done correctly.
Also, disable the hibernate mode.
Surface Pen Driver Error:
First, try updating drivers. If that doesn’t solve the issue, then follow the steps explained below.
This software provides you with an automatic option to figure out the issue and solve it.
It not only scans and update the pen’s driver but also the PC’s drivers too.
You can use the free version of this software to figure out the issues. The pro version provides some additional support.
- Download and install the software Reimage Plus.
- Run it and click on the ‘scan now’ option.
- Then continue with the updates.
- The pro version will provide you the option of ‘update all’ to install and update all the missing drivers.
- After the driver installation and updates are done, reboot your device.
Now you can quickly fix the issue surface pen not writing.
The main things to check in this regard is whether it is appropriately connected or not and the buttons are working correctly.
Sometimes the drivers need to be updated too.
Also, you need to know how to use the surface pen so that you can enjoy the features of this digital pen.