We use the keyboard while playing games, writing a journal, and chatting with a friend. You can also assume how frequently we use keyboards for little entry.
Sometimes, we face a situation in which the keyboard is not responding to your instructions.
This guide will help you to know how to unlock keyboard on various devices and windows.
What Do I Do If My Keyboard Won’t Type?
There are multiple reasons for keyboard errors. The treatment varies according to the reason for this fault.
Here are some tips to correct this problem:
Fix 01: Restart Your Computer
You find your keyboard is locked, or the system needs an update. Restarting your system is the best option.
If your keyboard is not working, how can you restart your PC?
Well, with the mouse, you can perform this task. Following are the steps to restart your computer with the help of a mouse.
For Windows 10:
- Select Start from the taskbar menu
- Click on the power icon.
- Choose Restart from the onscreen option.
For Windows 7:
- Right-click the Start button
- Click the More option Icon to select Restart
Also, Checkout How to Turn on Laptop Without Power Button?
Fix 02: Adjusting Keyboard Settings
Sometimes, you enable some easy-access key features, like the Sticky key. The active status of key features disables your computer to work right.
It is necessary to unmark all these features.
Following are the steps to adjust the keyboard setting and unlock the keyboard.
For Windows 10:
- Select Start from taskbar from the bottom of the screen
- Choose Setting from onscreen instructions
- Click on Ease of Access
- Tick Keyboard
- Check out the status of keys like Sticky keys, Toggle key, Filter key
- Disable all the keys to unlock your keyboard
For Windows 7:
- Tap on the Start button from the taskbar menu
- Choose Control Panel
- Click Ease of Access
- Select Change How Your Keyboard Works
- Unmark all the mark keys
Fix 03: Reinstall Your Keyboard Driver
If the above solutions are not working, try this one to correct your keyboard issue.
The following steps are best to reinstall your keyboard driver:
- Select the Start button to select Device Manager
- Go to the Control Panel and choose Device Manager
- From the drop-down list, choose your keyboard
- Select Keyboard Driver Software to select uninstall device
- In the end, restart your PC
Fix 04: Update Your Keyboard Driver
You can update your keyboard driver manually. You have to choose the compatible driver for your system. Otherwise, it will not work for your system.
One of the easiest ways is to install Driver Easy. It automatically recognizes your system and updates all the outdated software.
Following are the easy steps:
- Download and install the Driver Easy
- Open it.
- Click on Run and Scan Now
- Driver Easy automatically update missing software or update the software
Fix 06: Fix for USB Keyboard
If you are using a USB keyboard, check the USB.
Sometimes, you have not correctly connected the wire to the USB port. Check these main issues to unlock your keyboard.
Following are the main steps:
- Plug out the USB receiver from the computer
- Click the start button and go to the Power Icon
- Select Shut down from the onscreen instruction
- Remove the battery from the keyboard
- Insert the USB receiver into a USB port
- Turn ON your computer
- Click the ease of access icon and disable all the keys
- Insert the battery the back
- Check your keyboard
Also, Read How to Connect Wireless Keyboard?
How to Unlock Keyboard Window 10?
Every Windows user encounters keyboard issues. Following are some solutions to fix all these issues:
Sol 01: Turn Off Filter Keys
Press the Right Shift Key for 8 seconds. The filter keys icon appears on the screen.
The following steps are helpful for this action:
- First, go to the setting
- Select Ease of Access
- Scroll down and select the keyboard
- From the running window and tap on Turn OFF
Sol 02: Disable the Numlock
When we press the Numlock key, it will lock the number keys. Press it again to disable the num lock.
Sol 03: Update or Reinstall the Keyboard Driver
- Select Start and open Device Manager
- Go to the keyboard and expand the list
- Choose your keyboard
- Select Uninstall or Update Driver
- Restart your computer.
Shortcut to Unlock Keyboard Windows 7
The solution to unlock the keyboard of Windows 7 is just like windows 10.
Following are the main fixes to unlock the keyboard.
- Restart your computer
- Turn Off Filter Key
- Try your keyboard with a different computer
- Replace Batteries
- Clean your keyboard
- Check the physical damage
- Update or reinstall the Device Driver
These all solutions are mentioned in the above section to unlock the keyboard.
How to Unlock the Keyboard on Chromebook?
Method 01: Do an EC Reset
- Shut down your Chromebook using the shutdown function.
- Click the refresh key and hold it
- Press and hold the Power key and at the same time, press the refreshing key.
- Press the power key for a 10 second
- Free the Refresh Key first and hold on to the power key
- Release the remaining keys
- In this way, EC reset automatically
Also, Read How to Fix a Chromebook That Won’t Turn On?
Method 02: Clean the Keyboard
Dirt and crumbs are the main reason for the malfunctioning of the keyboard.
Clean your keyboard with the help of compressed air. It may solve your issue.
Method 03: Change External Keyboard
You can replace the device keyboard with the new external one.
The keyboard is an essential component for a PC. It is necessary for the proper functioning of different functions.
We have discussed all the fixes about how to unlock keyboards.
It includes the simplest solution from restarting the computer to the long fix like updating the driver.
You can follow anyone or more to solve this issue.
Leave a Reply