It is a quiet stressful moment when you spilled water on the laptop, and it shuts off.
You might be reading this post on your phone in a fast way to get a solution for the spilled water on the laptop issue as soon as possible.
- Spilled Water On Laptop and it Shut off. What to Do?
- Breaking Down the Laptop
- Spilled Water On Laptop Keyboard Some Keys Not Working
- Spilled Water on Laptop Still Works
- Essential Tips
Spilled Water On Laptop and it Shut off. What to Do?
Your time is of the essence at this moment.
Immediately turn it off (if it’s turned on yet), then unplug it. Afterward, remove the battery.
A laptop that has spilled water won’t work well for some days.
- At the first place, remove all the detachable components of the laptop.
- Then unplug the mouse and other cables.
- Leave the laptop bare.
- Dry the outside part of your laptop
- Then open it and hold in an upside-down direction.
- You can use a towel to dry the wet surfaces.
If your laptop is still applicable for a warranty, then immediately take it to the repair shop.
Breaking Down the Laptop
The process of opening and removing the components is a bit difficult for modern laptops.
It is not recommended to remove the laptop components until and unless you have some knowledge of it and it is much necessary to do so.
- If your laptop allows removing the battery, then remove it by pressing the button present on the underside of the laptop.
- If you think that the water got leaked into the laptop components like storage drive and memory then remove them too, some laptops have a panel for doing so while on some, it can be achieved by using a screwdriver.
- Press the side clips for the ejection of memory sticks.
- For the hard drive or the solid-state drive, you will have to free them from the frame by unscrewing.
- Examine all the components and check for corrosion.
- If there is still any wet part, then dry it.
- When you are done with this, leave all components of the laptop opened in a warm and dry area for two to three days.
- Avoid using a hairdryer as it causes static problems.
- Once all the components are dry, put them all back in the laptop and check out if it works.
If it still doesn’t work, then do take it to the repair shop.
Do Read How to Destroy a Hard Drive?
Spilled Water On Laptop Keyboard Some Keys Not Working
The laptop keyboard that has water spilled won’t work in such a case.
You can follow the following steps to get the keyboard to work.
1. Cut off the Supply and Shut down the Laptop
The water gets into the keyholes of the keyboard, and this results in permeating the area present below the keyboard.
It causes keyboard keys failure. It might also burn the CPU.
Thus it is necessary to cut off the power in such case and prevent the short circuit by forcefully shutting it down.
Many people think that they should first wipe off the keyboard of the laptop in such case whereas the most important thing you need to do at the first place is switch off the power of the laptop and shut it down.
Afterward, remove the built-in battery of the laptop.
2. Wipe the Laptop Surface
Next, wipe off the water on the keyboard using a soft cloth or a water-absorbent. You can also wipe off the water for the subtle gaps using a cotton swab bag.
3. Putting the Laptop Upside Down
Put your laptop in an upside-down direction. You can also use an electric fan to dry and evaporate the liquid inside the laptop.
Spilled Water On Laptop and it Won’t Turn On
The repeated attempts to turn on the laptop are the main issue in such a case.
Let the laptop dry for some time, and then try turning it on.
If it still doesn’t turn on than most probably the water has caused some severe issue to the motherboard, and you might need to take it out to the repair shop to replace the motherboard.
Water in Laptop Screen
Laptop screens are mostly LCDs (liquid crystal display).
They are encased in a plastic frame.
Thus water spilled on the screen might seep through the frame, and this way accumulate there.
This results in visual distraction also causes spotting and internal circuitry damage.
- Unplug the laptop and remove its battery.
- Unscrew the frame of the laptop.
- Next, remove the frame using a nylon pry tool.
- You can do this by putting the tool’s tip under the edge of the frame. Then work around the frame and pry it off.
- Unscrew the plastic casing of the display hinge. Now you will have the monitor wiring.
- Pull down the LCD screen and clean it with a cleaning cloth.
- You can also use a cleaning spray.
Check out the Touch Screen Computer Monitors
Spilled Water on Laptop Still Works
If it still works, then avoid using it.
This shows that the risk is minor, but you need to wait for the liquid to evaporate and then use it afterward.
Not shutting down the laptop when water is spilled on the laptop might cause some permanent damage to it.
Thus you need to switch it off even if it is still working.
Follow these tips to get the repair work completed in an efficient way.
- Avoid taking apart the laptop casing unless you are a professional or have some excellent knowledge of computers. Otherwise, this could result in some internal components damage.
- Among all liquids, water is much easier to clean up. You need to move quickly in such a case so that it doesn’t affect the internal casing of the laptop.
It is necessary to have some precautions to avoid such accidents.
In the first place, clean up your desk. Also, don’t put water or any other liquid on the desk you are using your laptop.
Also, take it to the repair shop if it is still under warranty.
Well if you have spilled water on the laptop and it shut off or won’t turn on then do follow the steps mentioned above in this article to get it in working condition.
Also, Check out What to Do with Old Computers that Still Work?