If you know how to fix the black screen on the laptop then you can easily solve the stressful issue of black screen of death and resume your work on your laptop.
There are several components of the laptop that can be a cause of the laptop black screen with cursor and other display problems.
- How to Fix Black Screen When Turning on Laptop?
- Laptop Screen Turns on but No or Black Display on the Monitor
- Computer Monitor No Signal HDMI
- Hp Black Screen of Death
- Vertical or Horizontal Lines on a Computer Screen
- Half Black Screen on Laptop and Windows Only Opens a Half Screen
- Final Words
How to Fix Black Screen When Turning on Laptop?
A laptop that doesn’t offer the correct display when switched on is a source of panic and concern.
This results in much stress as the laptop not only is a fantastic source of entertainment but also works as an excellent repository of essential documents and data.
Thus anxiety runs high when your laptop turns on, but there is no display on the monitor
Laptop Screen Turns on but No or Black Display on the Monitor
The most important thing that you need to do in such case is to check your laptop’s warranty.
If it is still under warranty, then immediately contact the manufacturer or the retailer and ask him for assistance in this issue.
Troubleshooting Guide: My Laptop Turns on, but the Screen is Black
Well if its warranty is expired, then you need not worry.
1. Reset Battery and Cables
- Switch off the laptop and close the screen.
- Then remove all the cables and the power chord from the laptop.
- Remove the battery of the laptop.
- Clean the battery with an eraser.
- Also, remove the excesses eraser bits from the battery that might appear while cleaning it.
- Reinsert the battery into the laptop.
- Then connect the AC power chord again.
- Make sure there are no loose cable connection and also the battery is perfectly locked in the bay.
- Switch on the laptop and check if the image is displayed correctly or not.
2. Reset Memory and Drives
If the laptop fan is spinning and still there is no display, then the issue is with the laptop memory. You will need to reset it.
- Unplug the AC adapter from the laptop, shut it down and close the LCD screen.
- Then flip it over in an upside down position.
- Find the memory modules of the laptop.
- Most laptops have a small memory stick icon on the memory slot cover.
- When you find the memory cover, remove its screws with a screwdriver.
- Afterward, unlock the memory module clips and remove it from its slot.
- Insert it back into the slot.
- Push it down so that it gets perfectly snapped in its place.
- Screw the memory slot cover back.
- Do the same for the hard drive, i.e., locate it, find the hard drive cover, remove the hard drive, and reinsert it.
- Connect the power chord to the laptop and turn it on. Now check if the display is fine or not.
3. Using Spare Monitor For a Laptop Booting to a Black Screen
- Switch off the laptop
- Remove the power chord
- Get a monitor cable and a spare monitor.
- Connect this spare monitor to the laptop.
- Connect the power chord and switch in the laptop
- When the LED lights of the laptop turn on, press the “Fn” key. This switches the display to the second monitor.
- Now if you see an image on the second monitor, there is an issue with your Laptop LCD.
- On the contrary, if you see no image on the second monitor too then most probably your laptop is defective.
Computer Monitor No Signal HDMI
To fix the computer monitor no signal detected the issue, you will need first to check which component is the cause of this issue.
There several components from the monitor cables to the monitor itself and even the video card of the PC that can be defective.
- Turn off the PC.
- Unplug the monitor cable that attaches the monitor to the PC and then plug it back. Loose cables can also cause this issue.
- If you still don’t see the display on the monitor, the defect could most probably be in the cable.
- Replace Video card
- Open the case of your PC
- Find the video card and then remove it.
- reinsert it in its slot firmly.
A video card that is unable to make a firm connection results in a black screen or no display.
Also, there can be internal damages in the video card.
Thus you will need to replace the video card completely.
In some cases, you will also need to replace the PC power supply and the motherboard along with the video card.
Furthermore, don’t forget to ground yourself before touching the components in the PC case.
Failure in doing so can result in the components being damaged.
Hp Black Screen of Death
You might have witnessed that your laptop works, the caps lock works, the HDD is in working condition, and the sound works too, but only the screen is black.
Different hardware and software errors can result in this black screen issue.
This error usually occurs after encountering a system error, which results in the shutting down of the system. It causes issues in the booting of the operating system.
In such a case, you can try reinstalling the CMOS battery.
The issue also occurs when there is file compression enabled on all files.
This way, the OS does the compression.
Sometimes you will need to reinstall the windows on facing this issue.
The OS won’t boot if the compression is enabled.
You can solve it by booting from another device and also uncompressing the files.
Computer overheating can result in the black screen of death too.
Do check the ventilation holes as they might get blocked by the debris or dust.
Also if the CPU is used for longer sessions, then the computer gets into overheating.
Thus this demands extra ventilation to your PC.
Vertical or Horizontal Lines on a Computer Screen
These vertical or horizontal lines on the screen of your PC can be due to various issues.
You can have a look at the BIOS settings to know if the issue is a hardware issue or it is a software related problem.
If you see the lines in the BIOS settings too then, this means that the issue is a software related issue.
If there are no lines on your computer in the BIOS settings, then the issue is associated with the hardware.
You can do the following things to solve this issue.
- Scan the PC for viruses
- Update the graphics card driver
- Reboot the PC
- Adjust the settings of the screen resolution
- Reconnecting the video cable
- Relock the ribbon cable
Half Black Screen on Laptop and Windows Only Opens a Half Screen
This can be due to the damaged screen or the damages connections between the motherboard and the screen.
Both the thing can be replaced easily.
First, you will need to check which one of these two is causing the issue.
Connect an external monitor, and if there is perfect display on it, then it means that the monitor is disabled, and if the display on the external monitor is not proper, then the issue is with the connections, video chip or the video driver.
The laptop screen keeps going black can be a terrible experience for the users.
There can be a problem with the LCD screen which you can solve and save a stressful trip to the computer repair shop.
Thus you will need to find the root cause of the black screen on the laptop, and the computer monitors no signal HDMI issue to solve them.
There can be various hardware or software related errors that cause this problem.