Do you intend to know how to build your own computer? If your answer is yes, then this article will help you learn the basics of building a computer.
If you think that it is much harder to build a PC, then you are wrong.
- 1 How to Build Your Own Personal Computer from Scratch?
- 1.1 How to Build Your Own Desktop Computer Step by Step?
- 1.1.1 1) Getting Computer Parts:
- 22.214.171.124 Computer Parts List
- 126.96.36.199 What Processor Should I Get?
- 188.8.131.52 How to Choose a Motherboard?
- 184.108.40.206 Choosing the Right RAM
- 220.127.116.11 How to Choose the RAM for Gaming?
- 18.104.22.168 Getting the Hard Drive for PC
- 22.214.171.124 Getting the Computer Video Graphics Card
- 126.96.36.199 Getting the Right Computer Case
- 188.8.131.52 Checking the Power Supply Load
- 1.1.2 How to Put a PC Together?
- 184.108.40.206 a) Build Your Own Computer Case
- 220.127.116.11 b) PC Power supply
- 18.104.22.168 c) Installing the processor
- 22.214.171.124 d) Installation of the Cooler
- 126.96.36.199 e) Installing RAM
- 188.8.131.52 f) Installing the I/O Backplates
- 184.108.40.206 g) Case Connectors
- 220.127.116.11 h) Installing the Graphics Card
- 18.104.22.168 i) Adding a Hard Drive
- 22.214.171.124 j) Connecting the SATA cables
- 126.96.36.199 k) Computer Power Supply Wiring
- 188.8.131.52 l) Installing More PC Fans
- 1.1.3 m) Booting the Computer
- 1.1.4 n) Switch On the Computer
- 1.1.5 o) Installing an Operating System
- 1.1.6 p) Installing the Drivers
- 1.1.7 How to Build Your Own Computer Monitor?
- 1.1.1 1) Getting Computer Parts:
- 1.2 Final Words
- 1.1 How to Build Your Own Desktop Computer Step by Step?
How to Build Your Own Personal Computer from Scratch?
If you know how to do this, then you can quickly get a machine according to your needs.
The whole process involves getting the parts and then combining them. Later in the last Operating system is installed.
Although it is time-consuming, it can prove to be much fruitful to you. You can also add or remove the different component, depending on your requirements, from the computer that you are going to build yourself.
How to Build Your Own Desktop Computer Step by Step?
Following steps are involved in this regard:
1) Getting Computer Parts:
Understanding these parts are dependent on your needs. If you intend to get the computer for personal use, then the requirement would be much different from the one used for gaming or the one used in offices.
You should first note down your needs and then look for parts according to it.
Computer Parts List
- Computer Case
- Hard Drive
What Processor Should I Get?
The processor is referred to as the brain of the computer. Multi-core processors are mostly used now.
- You should get the latest processor and don’t select the one that is outdated or is no longer supported. Choosing an older model would not be the right choice.
- The main benefit of getting the latest ones is that they are much faster than the older ones.
- One more thing that you need to know is that brand name is not the thing that can help you get a better processor.
- You also need to look at the clocking speed.
- Quad-core processors are much powerful than the dual-core ones.
Apart from checking the generation of processor, you need to check for following things in it:
- Power usage
- Technology used
Two big companies that offer the best processors are
If you have a low budget, then you can go for AMD chips.
Dual core and quad core processors are mostly used in PCs for daily tasks and gaming.
If you intend to do graphics related work, then I would advise you to go for Intel i5 or i7 processors as they provide better support for Adobe apps that are used in graphics related work.
How to Choose a Motherboard?
It is considered as the soul of the computer. It is the nervous system of the computer.
It connects to other internal components of your computer. Thus much care is needed when working with the motherboard.
Following things must be kept in mind while choosing a motherboard:
- Form factor
- Support for the video card
- Storage / memory
- Processor socket size
- The size of the case
- Expansion slots
- Onboard technologies (ethernet, wifi, Bluetooth, etc.)
Things to Check When Choosing a Motherboard
Also, check the following things to avoid any issue in this whole process:
- Do check whether the motherboard you are purchasing is compatible with the processor brand and model you have chosen or not.
- Each motherboard size refers to a different feature.
- You must also check whether the motherboard you have supports other components that you are using to build up your computer or not.
- If you intend to have a high-end graphics card, the PCI Express interface is what you will need in this case.
A Knockout Post What is Dual CPU Server Motherboard for Gaming?
Choosing the Right RAM
You must choose the ram that is compatible with the motherboard you choose earlier.
What is the Function of RAM on a Computer?
You might have seen many people complaining about the slow speed of their computer. This is because if there is not enough RAM, then the programs will run at a slower pace.
- The function of RAM is that different programs store the Information on it they use.
- Remember one more thing. RAM is not a permanent source of storage. It stores data temporarily that is in use by different programs
- RAM provides the multitasking feature.
Things to keep in mind to Get the Right RAM
- Keep in mind that all the RAM you are choosing for your new desktop computer must have the same speed and it must be of the same model and brand.
- The size of desktop PC RAM is greater as compared to the RAM of laptops. So you might not get the RAM for a laptop by mistake in this case.
- To have a RAM of more than 4GB, 64 bit OS needs to be installed on your computer.
How to Choose the RAM for Gaming?
- To enjoy a smooth gaming experience, it is necessary that you PC runs perfectly and does not become slow at random moments.
- To enhance your gaming to better quality, you need to have the best RAM installed on your PC.
- Choosing a RAM for a gaming PC is not a difficult task. Most gamers prefer a RAM 8GB to be installed on their gaming PC.
- You can also upgrade RAM to enjoy the best performance.
Getting the Hard Drive for PC
Hard drives mostly come at following speeds.
- 5400 rpm
- 7200 rpm
- 10000 rpm
I think you must go with the 7200 rpm to enjoy better performance.
Sata vs. Pata Drives
- If you have a SATA interface, then go with the SATA hard drive.
- Whereas if you have a PATA hard drive while repairing or upgrading your any older system then go with the PATA hard drive
a) Transfer Speed
A high rpm will surely increase the transfer speed.
Check the capacity of the hard drive by comparing with the performance requirements of your PC.
- Cache or buffer is used by hard drives to increase the performance of the system.
- The performance of your computer is directly proportional to the size of the cache.
- High-performance models have almost 16MB cache size
d) Power consumption
Get the hard drive that consumes the least amount of power.
Because if you choose the one with the greater amount of power consumption, then it would surely produce more and more heat which will increase the noise level.
This is because the exhaust fans of the system will have to work more and harder than before
What is an External Hard Drive?
- It is connected to USB connector to your device.
- It stores data externally.
A Fantastic Read Flash Storage vs. SSD: This is What Professionals Use
Getting the Computer Video Graphics Card
Before choosing the right video graphic card for your new PC, you need to know what this thing is.
What is a Video Graphics Card?
The function of graphics cars is that it gets the video data and converts it into electric signals which are then sent to your monitor. The monitor then displays them in colorful images.
Graphics Card for Computer
Most computers have a graphics card that is already built into the motherboard.
- If you intend to use your PC for some office work, online browsing and a little bit of online gaming, then believe me you don’t need to have a dedicated card.
- If you have a habit of watching HD videos and love playing games, then go for the dedicated card
- If you are thinking of getting a PC for the gaming purpose, then you will need an external graphics card.
Getting the Right Computer Case
The case has the responsibility of having computer components.
If you intend to build a gaming PC, then you will require an external power supply too. This is because the one that comes included in the computer case is of low quality mostly.
Get the case that has optimal airflow. You will need to install some more fans in it if there arises a need for that.
Checking the Power Supply Load
For a gaming PC 550W or above then that power supply is needed.
The power supply needs to have the same number of connectors as compared to the graphics card. Mostly they have six pins or more than that.
Battery backup for PC offers power in case of any failure. You can buy it for a safer side.
How to Put a PC Together?
a) Build Your Own Computer Case
Well, you must give it a try. Believe me; it’s much exciting work. You will have to prepare a design for it first.
If you can’t make your own then no need to get worried, you can also buy it.
Get the one that allows for excellent airflow. The case that has the capacity of installing more fans is also a good one.
b) PC Power supply
The first component that you need to put inside the case is the power supply.
It usually is present on the rear side of the case. You need to have the power supply that is capable of supplying power to all the computer components
The power supply is of 2 types:
In the latest PSU’s the cable can be detached from the main unit. They are mostly used for smaller cases.
For a gaming PC, a power supply of 550W or more is needed.
Also, check the number of sockets on your graphics card. As you will need to have the same number of connectors for it on the power supply.
c) Installing the processor
To make the motherboard ready, you need to install the following things first:
CPU and the motherboard have a lot of pins on them. Make sure none of them gets bend as it would render the component’s performance
The Intel socket consists of pins on the motherboard. Load plate is a square metal bracket whose responsibility is to hold the CPU at a specific place.
Follow these steps to complete the tasks successfully:
- Open the load plate
- Flip up the plate which is opened by the hook
- Set the CPU in such a way that the outer rim stays with the body of the socket.
- Lower the plate on the chip
In this case, the pins along with the holes are present in the CPU
d) Installation of the Cooler
Sometimes the cooler comes up with the processor then the process for its installation is quite easy.
You will have to head over to its instruction manual and follow the instructions written on it to complete this process.
Overheating affects the performance of your PC. Thus it is essential to check CPU temperature from time to time.
Thermal paste is what every cooler needs the most.
- Your cooler won’t give you good performance without the thermal paste.
- It allows the transfer of heat between the chip and the cooler.
AMD and Intel coolers come up with the thermal paste applied to them, but if you are using any third party cooler, then you will have to do this work yourself.
Additional Reading How to Fix My Laptop Fan Making a Grinding Noise?
How to Apply Thermal Paste?
You need to apply a small part of it (almost equal to that of a single pea) on the right corner of the chip. Don’t twist it too much.
The cooler also needs the power to work. So plug the wires of the fan on a connection on the motherboard.
e) Installing RAM
There is no need for any wires for the installation of RAM.
How to Install RAM on PC?
- To install it, you need to place it carefully first.
- Each of them comes up with a notch on the bottom edge that can be placed on the clock in the memory slots on the motherboard.
- Just open the latch and push the RAM in it until it lines up with it properly
- If you have any issues regarding its placement, then spin it 180 degrees and then try again.
To know more regarding RAM installation, you can check your motherboard documentation for its placement details.
f) Installing the I/O Backplates
Your motherboard has it own I/O back plates.
- To add new I/O back plates, push them on the appropriate place on the back of the case
- After installing them, place the motherboard inside the case and push it.
- Make sure that the back holes fit on the I/O plates
g) Case Connectors
Then plug in the case connectors.
You need to connect them too:
- USB ports
- Reset switch
- Power switch
- Hard drive lights
- audio cables
- LED power
h) Installing the Graphics Card
Install the graphics card on your pc. Its some benefits include:
- It improves your computer’s performance
- It is essential for building a gaming computer.
How to Install a Graphics Card?
- Insert the graphics card.
- Bend the tab to do this.
- In this way, the graphics card will get locked in the tab
Installing PCI Cards
To get any other PCI card (for example sound card) installed, you need to follow the same process as explained above
i) Adding a Hard Drive
From the case-front, insert the drives. PC cases come up with a cage that holds the drive safely
j) Connecting the SATA cables
Almost all of the modern devices make use of SATA cables to connect the drive and the motherboard.
- For this, you need first to connect the cable to the SATA port.
- One end of the drive and the other end to a SATA port that is on the motherboard.
Hard drives and optical drives use almost the same cables.
Recommended Read Computer Monitor Cable Types: What & How They Work?
k) Computer Power Supply Wiring
i) Motherboard Power Supply Connectors:
- Almost all modern motherboards have a 24 pin connection and other one containing a 4 or 8 pin connector.
- You need to connect both of these to make your motherboard work properly.
- The largest connector on the power supply is the 24 pin connector.
ii) How to Connect the Video Card to the Power Supply?
Some video card needs a single connector while some require two connectors. The port is located on the backside of that video card.
iii) Connecting Drives with Power Supply
You need to use SATA connector to connect all you drive.
The Secret of Good Overflow
To have a good overflow, you need to make sure that you have clearly placed all the wires. i.e., they are placed out of the way.
iv) Connecting the Fans to the Motherboard
The modern computer cases come up with one or 2 fans usually. You need to attach them to the motherboard to make the fans work.
l) Installing More PC Fans
If you have a high load on your PC and intend to run a high-end component then for better performance you will need some extra cooling.
For this, you need to have more fans. 120mm and 140mm fans are commonly thought to be increasing overflow. So you can give them a shot.
Checking the Fan Setup
- You need to place the fans that perform the function of sucking the air inside the computer in the lower front and sides.
- Fans that blow air out of your PC need to place on the top or the back side of the computer. This is because that area gets hot early.
In this way, you will have a good overflow for the motherboards
m) Booting the Computer
Before moving ahead with this step, make sure that you are done with all the work of the computer case and the computer case is closed now.
I advise you not to run your PC when its case is open. This is because in this case, the airflow is not good.
Plug in the necessary devices to the computer:
You need to have the following device on your PC at this stage:
Don’t plug in any more devices at this stage. This is because you don’t have OS installed right now.
After your OS gets installed, you are free to attach as many devices to it as you desire.
Knowledge about the working of OS will help you while installing it.
n) Switch On the Computer
You need to check the working of fans at this stage. You can also install a program MemTest86+ to check your memory sticks. You don’t need to have the OS installed for this process
Follow these steps to do:
- Set your PC to boot from any CD or USB
- Go into the bios settings and then go to the boot menu
- Then you can select the device from which you intend to boot first.
o) Installing an Operating System
For home built computer it is recommended to install the following OS:
- Microsoft Windows
- Linux distribution
You can also install other OS as per your needs. Windows OS can run on almost every piece of hardware. So you can give it a chance too.
p) Installing the Drivers
Now you need to install the necessary drives. The hardware devices you purchased earlier come up with a disc that contains the necessary drivers.
You can also get these drivers online.
How to Build Your Own Computer Monitor?
If you are working with an old and dusty monitor, then its time for you to have a new one. You don’t need to buy it from the market.
You can make your own computer monitor at your home quite easily.
- For this, you will first need to have the frame and will be in need of buying some more things too.
- You can also use any old laptop screen to build a computer monitor. In this way, it will be a bit cheaper for you.
- You will be in need of a controller board that matches the model number of your monitor. Then connect the cables and the power supply to it
Lucky guy, now your system is in operation, and you can enjoy working on your new home built computer.
As now you have known how to build your own computer, so you don’t need to go to the expensive computers available in the market.
You can enjoy gaming, browsing, or whatever you want.