Laptop speakers not working leave the computer users in an uneasy and troubled situation.
Are you facing issues with audio and need to know how to fix no sound on a laptop?
Read on this brilliant post as it will help you solve your laptop audio and volume not working issue quite easily.
- 1 How to Fix No Sound On a Laptop?
- 1.1 Check Volume in the Application
- 1.2 Check Cable Connections
- 1.3 Check the Volume
- 1.4 External Speakers
- 1.5 Check the Audio Device
- 1.6 Install / Update Drivers
- 1.7 Audio Enhancements
- 1.8 Headphones
- 1.9 Repair Speakers
- 1.10 Windows 7 Sound Not Working Suddenly
- 1.11 Windows 10 Sound Not Working After Update
- 1.12 Laptop Speakers Not Working But Headphones Work
- 1.13 Final Words
How to Fix No Sound On a Laptop?
No audios are one of the most common issues that laptop users have to face quite often.
You might witness the sound stopped suddenly. It could be due to driver or any hardware failure too.
Check out these solutions to fix it.
Check Volume in the Application
This simple solution involves checking the sound in the application you are using.
If you are playing a video on YouTube, make sure it is not unmuted in the YouTube video player.
Check Cable Connections
If the issue remains as it is even with the headphones too, then do check the ports and the cable connections.
Make sure you have connected the headphones to the right port.
Check the Volume
It might happen that you accidentally muted the volume of your system. Thus it is better to check it.
You can unmute the sound by clicking on the speaker icon in the Windows taskbar.
If you find it muted, then turn up the volume from there.
If you have got the external speakers, then plug them correctly and turn them on.
Check the Audio Device
It might happen that there is no issue with the speaker, but the operating system you are using directs the sound to some other output device.
- To solve this issue, right-click on the speaker icon from the taskbar.
- Then from there, click on sounds.
- Click on the playback tab and check out the device you intend to use.
- If you don’t find it then right click and check the option saying show disabled devices.
- Next, select the output device.
- Afterward, click on set default button.
Install / Update Drivers
The best solution to hardware issues is to install or update the drivers.
- Open the device manager.
- Scroll down to the sound controller setting.
- Expand this menu, and all the audio output devices will be shown to you.
- If you find any mark next to these, then this means that you need to update the drivers.
You can download the latest ones from the manufacturer’s website and install them.
The other way to do so is to uninstall the driver. Then boot the windows, and the drivers will be reinstalled automatically.
Do check the audio enhancements and disable them if they are turned on.
- Click on the audio device you intend to use from the sound menu.
- Click properties
- Then enable the correct options from there.
- Make sure you have checked the correct supported formats, Also disable the enhancements.
- Uncheck the exclusive mode.
- Now check the sound by playing any audio from your laptop.
If the built-in speakers or the external speakers are not working properly, then you can try using the headphones.
Update the BIOS
Tweaking some settings in BIOS can also help you fix this issue.
- Reboot the laptop.
- Enter the BIOS menu by pressing the BIOS menu key at startup.
- Enable the sound card in BIOS.
- If the UEFI or the BIOS version is old, then update it. You can check for the latest version on the website of your laptop manufacturer.
- Before updating the BIOS, do read the instructions carefully as it can break things too if not done the correct way.
Check for any physical damage in the speakers.
Also, make sure the cable is connected properly.
Windows 7 Sound Not Working Suddenly
This can be fixed in windows 7 by the windows sound troubleshooter.
- Open control panel from the start menu.
- Click on ‘find and fix the problem.’ You will find it under the ‘System and Security’ tab.
- From the troubleshoot problems page opened in front of you, click on the option saying ‘troubleshoot audio playback’ (under the hardware and sound).
- Another audio troubleshooting page will be displayed in front of you. Click next.
- Wait while the issue is being detected by the troubleshooter.
- If multiple devices are connected to the system, you will be asked to choose a device. Choose the audio device.
- The troubleshooter will display the problem. Now, as the problem is identified, you can solve it easily and get the sound back.
- Then click close.
Windows 10 Sound Not Working After Update
This could be due to the audio driver removed or damaged during the update.
- To fix this issue, you can
- Update the sound card drivers
- Modify the properties of the speaker.
Laptop Speakers Not Working But Headphones Work
The speakers might be muted. Do check the settings.
Also, check the HD audio manager settings. Follow these steps to do so.
- Open control panel.
- Click on the ‘Realtek HD Audio manager.’ If you don’t find it, type it in the search area.
- Open the advanced setting by click on the gear icon on the top right.
- Check the option saying ‘Make for …simultaneously’.
- Click OK.
- Restart the laptop, and you will find the issue resolved.
Sound problems are pretty much common in windows OS.
You will be stressed if your laptop refuses to play the sound.
There are some troubleshooting methods by which it can be fixed.
This problem can be due to some hardware configuration or an error.
You can solve the sound problem of your laptop in no time by following the fixes explained above in the article.
Try updating the driver as this issue is mostly due to outdated drivers.
Also, check the cables and inspect them. They might be damaged too.
By and large, if you know how to fix no sound on the laptop, then you can easily get out of this frustrating situation.