You connect various devices to your PC, such as printers, USB, flash drives, cameras, and other peripherals.
Sometimes you might find the USB port not working in windows 10.
Well, you need not panic in this regard as this article will help you fix your issue of the laptop USB port not working quite easily and in no time.
Furthermore, you will also learn how to update USB drivers windows 10, check the USB ports, reset them, and a lot more.
- Fix USB Port Not Working in Windows 10
- Physical Inspection
- Use a Different USB Port
- Update the Device Drivers
- Reinstall the Drivers
- Change the Power Management Settings
- Windows Booting Too Quickly
- Disable USB Selective Suspend Feature
- Update Software and Windows
- How to Reset USB Ports on Windows 10?
- Check it on Another Laptop
- How Can I See What is Connected to My USB Ports?
- How to Make USB 2.0 Work on 3.0 Port Windows 10?
- Final Words
Fix USB Port Not Working in Windows 10
This can be a big hurdle in your work as due to this issue, you won’t be able to connect the USB devices to your PC.
Before moving on to the technical fixes, physically inspect the USB ports.
Most of the time, the dust or debris block them, and the contact between the port and the connector is obstructed.
Also Checkout How to Fix a Broken Laptop Charger Port?
Use a Different USB Port
Try plugging the USB device into a different USB port. Also, check for device failures.
Update the Device Drivers
This problem can be due to outdated drivers. To fix it, you will need to update them.
Get the latest drivers from the manufacturer site and then update them.
Reinstall the Drivers
If you don’t find any updated drivers, then uninstall the current one and install them again.
- Press Windows key + X.
- From the list, open the device manager.
- Find the device drivers from the window opened and then uninstall them. (right-click and select install)
- Next, restart your PC.
On restarting, the drivers get updated automatically.
Change the Power Management Settings
Changing these settings can also help you resolve the issue.
- Open the device manager.
- Then find and expand the USB (Universal Serial Bus) controllers list.
- Right-click on the name of each driver and from the option selects properties.
- From the power management tab, uncheck the option that requires permission for turning it off to save power.
- Press Ok.
- Do the same for all USB drivers.
- Restart your PC.
Windows Booting Too Quickly
Sometimes the issue could be due to the windows booting too quickly. This does not give enough time to detect external devices.
To fix it, the fast startup needs to be disabled.
- Open the control panel.
- Open ‘Power Options’ settings.
- From the left sidebar, click on ‘choose what power button does.’
- Then open the currently available settings by clicking on the option saying ‘change currently unable settings.’
- From the shutdown settings uncheck the option ‘Turn on fast startup’.
- Click save changes.
Disable USB Selective Suspend Feature
- Open the power options.
- Next to the plan, you have currently enabled, click on the change plan settings.
- Open the advanced power settings.
- From the USB settings, disable the USB selective suspend settings.
- Click apply.
- Then click ‘OK’ and save the changes.
Update Software and Windows
Install all necessary updates to fix the issue.
- To find the apps that need to be updated, open the settings app.
- From there, click on update and security.
- Click on the button saying, ‘check for updates.’’
- The updates will start downloading.
- Then restart the PC to install them.
How to Reset USB Ports on Windows 10?
- Open device manager from the control panel.
- Expand the USB controller section.
- On each USB device, right-click.
- Select properties.
- From the advanced tab, click on the reset hub.
Check it on Another Laptop
Check that USB device on another laptop. If it’s still not recognized, then the device is most probably corrupted.
How Can I See What is Connected to My USB Ports?
You can view it in the device manager.
- Open the device manager.
- Click view.
- Select device by connection.
- Now you can view the devices connected to your USB ports.
How to Make USB 2.0 Work on 3.0 Port Windows 10?
They will work if they are backward compatible.
If they aren’t, then this can be due to some outdated firmware. Actually, the USB3.0 host makes use of the XHCI specification.
The earlier XHCI controllers had some issues because of the deficiencies in the design.
Such an issue can be resolved by updating the firmware.
Sometimes you might regret updating the windows. No doubt the windows 10 bring a list of impressive features with it, but it does come with some bugs too.
Many users face the issue with the USB port of Windows 10 on upgrading.
USB ports are quite essential as they allow you to connect various devices to your PC and transfer data easily.
The above solutions can help you get rid of the issue USB port not working in windows 10.
If you have tried them and didn’t get any fruitful results, then most probably, the USB port of your PC is damaged.
You Will Enjoy Reading Spilled Water on Laptop and it Shut Off [Fixed]