The laptop camera has some essential uses.
Some people use it to do video calls while some enjoy taking pictures.
Well, it is quite frustrating when you intend to do some important video call, and at the same time, you find your webcam not working on windows 10.
There could be several reasons for this issue.
Check out this article to fix it. In this article, you will know about webcam configurations and other troubleshooting steps.
Table of Contents
- Fix Webcam Not Working On Windows 10
- How to Turn On the Camera on Laptop Windows 10?
- Enable on BIOS or UEFI
- Device Manager Settings
- Windows Update
- Check Camera Body
- Check Bluetooth Settings
- Check the Connection Between Computer and Webcam
- Integrated Webcam Not Working
- Skype Not Detecting the Webcam
- Fix “Webcam Used By Another App” Issue
- Skype Video Call Not Working
Fix Webcam Not Working On Windows 10
The use of webcam in various apps has become a part of our daily life.
Unfortunately, some external and built-in webcams don’t work properly on Windows 10. Well, you can eliminate these issues by doing a few troubleshooting steps.
Check the Webcam Configurations
The main service settings are found in the setting app in windows 10. From here, you can monitor your system’s functionalities.
First, identify whether the webcam is enabled or not. The camera is disabled because of some privacy settings.
How to Turn On the Camera on Laptop Windows 10?
- Open the Settings app by clicking the sign icons on the lower-left corner of the start menu. The settings app has a gearwheel icon.
- Scroll down and click on privacy settings.
- Select camera from the left side panel
- Then turn it on from the settings that appear on the right side.
- Also, turn on the option saying ‘Allow the app access to the camera.’
- Then choose the apps to which you want to give access to your webcam.
- You won’t find the standard apps here. The conventional system apps can aces webcam if the above two settings are turned on.
If your webcam is still not working, then go ahead with the further troubleshooting steps.
Enable on BIOS or UEFI
The webcam can be disabled on some laptops by the BIOS or UEFI settings. Thus, you need to enable those settings.
You can find this option in the business class laptop’s system settings.
Device Manager Settings
Enable it in the device manager.
- Open device manager. Selecting the device manager from the options.
- Find the imaging devices section.
- Expand the devices.
- Find your webcam in the list, right-click on it and enable it.
Can’t Find the Webcam in Device Manager
A) Hardware troubleshooter
- Press Windows key + Q.
- In the search box, type ‘Troubleshoot.’
- Click troubleshoot. This will open the settings windows.
- Run this troubleshooter.
- Click on applying this fix.
B) Manually add a Device in Device Manager
- Open the Run by pressing Windows + R key.
- Type ‘devmgmt.msc’ in the text box of Run and click ok.
- Click view.
- Then click show hidden devices.
- Click action.
- Select the option ‘Add legacy hardware.’ This will open a new window.
- Move forward by pressing the click button.
- Select the option of manually adding the hardware.
- Then click next.
- Select the imaging device.
- Click next.
- Then select the missing webcam from the list.
- Press the next button.
- Start your windows, and you will find that webcam in the device manager.
Update the windows to improve your webcam’s performance.
Check Camera Body
Your webcam might be a damaged one. Thus it requires repair.
If you don’t find any signs of damage, then try it connecting to any other PC.
If it doesn’t connect to the second device, then there is some issue with this webcam.
Check Bluetooth Settings
If you are working with a wireless webcam, then do check the Bluetooth settings.
Check the Connection Between Computer and Webcam
Poor contact or a damaged cable can also be a cause of this issue.
If the connection is made by a USB port, then do check if the USB cable fits properly or not.
Unplug it and then plug it again. Afterward, tighten it.
Also, make sure the is no cover on the webcam.
Useful Read USB Port Not Working in Windows 10
Integrated Webcam Not Working
Install or Update Drivers
Sometimes the devices don’t work correctly due to failed installations of the drivers.
In such a case, you need to get the latest drivers from the official website, download them, and install them.
You can also update the current drivers from the Device Manager.
- To update the driver of the webcam, find your webcam in imaging devices in the device manager.
- Then right-click it and click on update driver.
- If the issue isn’t resolved, then download the latest drivers from the manufacturer’s website.
Skype Not Detecting the Webcam
Check the settings of the app.
If a certain app is blocking the webcam, then it might be due to the faulty settings of this particular app.
Thus you need to configure the settings on the webcam in such an app.
- Open Skype.
- Click the more button (the one that has three horizontal dots on it).
- Open settings.
- In the left panel, select audio and video.
- Then in the right panel, select the webcam.
- If you did not find your webcam listed here, then it means this model isn’t supported.
Also, Checkout Fix No Sound On a Laptop
Fix “Webcam Used By Another App” Issue
To fix this issue, disable the startup applications, and then try connecting again.
Skype Video Call Not Working
- If the video isn’t working on windows, then the issue is with the drivers. Update these drivers to the latest version and then check if the issue gets resolved or not.
- If the video isn’t loading properly on webcam, this could be due to various third party apps interfering with Skype. To this, you need to remove those apps.
- If you are having issues with video calls on Skype, then do update both Skype and your system too.
Many apps require the usage of a webcam to take images and perform video calls. They do this with the external or builtin webcams.
There could be various reasons why your webcam is not working on windows 10.
Well, by following the troubleshooting steps in this article, you can get away with this issue easily and make it in operating condition.
Recommended Read What to Do with Old Computers that Still Work?