Are you in search of some impressive information related to the domain name server?
Then read on this wonderful article to know more about it.
In this article, you will get some fantastic and informative knowledge about DNS server address.
You will get to know how to find it and much more about it.
Some of the points discussed in this article are listed below:
- What is DNS a server?
- How to find it?
- Find Google IP address
- Open vs. Google DNS
- Difference between preferred and alternate DNS server
What is a DNS?
DNS stands for Domain Name System.
It is a method for naming the resources that are connected to the Internet or any other private network and has been serving us since 1980.
Domain names are translated to IP addresses to locate the device that is connected to a network.
It holds the responsibility for assigning domain names and then maps a name server to each domain.
One would not be wrong by comparing them with the online phone-book because they keep a record of domain names and then perform their duty of translating them into IP addresses.
What is a Server?
The web server is an instance of the computer that responds to the request that is made by some other programs. The computer or the user to which they transmit the data is the client.
Thus they process the data.
They have various types. Some of them are listed below
- Application server
- Proxy server
- File server
- Blade server
Read more about servers at The Ultimate Guide to Web Server
What is a DNS Server?
Its function is to respond to the queries that are requested to its database.
They are configured in a network with the primary purpose of forwarding, i.e., they forward those queries that they cannot resolve.
Some of the public records in the DNS database are listed below:
- Start of Authority (SOA)
- SMTP mail exchangers
- Name servers
How to Find the DNS Server Address?
There are many methods to find this address.
I have explained the most common ones here.
By nslookup Tool:
You just thought how to find it. Well, it’s not a difficult task.
You can easily find it by ns lookup tool. This procedure involves these steps:
- First, start nslookup.
- The set up your search type to NS. This is done to tell nslookup that you intend to search for name servers.
- Then enter your desired domain name, i.e., for which you want to search name servers.
By nslookup Command:
You can also view your this address by just typing nslookup command.
- From the start menu type run
- Then type cmd in the search box.
- This opens the command prompt for you as shown in the picture above. Then in the command prompt type nslookup and then your desired domain, for which servers’ address you want to find.
For example for YouTube, you may type nslookup www.youtube.com
Google DNS Server Address:
Similarly, you can find the address of Google by typing had goole.com in the command prompt.
What is My DNS Server Address?
The easiest way to find it is from your router’s admin status page.
These web pages are built with the help of users so that they may customize settings and view their desired properties.
You can also view it by using the ipconfig command. Open the command prompt by the method discussed earlier, then type the command:
This will show you your desired details.
This picture shows how it will be done.
On Linux, Unix and Apple OS the command for finding it is different from the one for Windows OS.
Find Google IP Address:
Google has multiple IP addresses to provide best services to its user.
Some of them are
If you know Google’s IP address then no need to type its domain name in the search box of your web browser. Just type its IP address and then you will be redirected to its website.
Using the TRACERT Command:
You can find the IP address of Google by tracert command.
Open the command prompt by typing run in the search window and then type cmd.
Then type the following command at the command prompt.
This will show you the IP address of Google.
Then you can go to Google’s website by just typing that IP address in the search bar in your web browser.
What is a Ping Command?
Ping command tests the accessibility of a destination device through the internet.
It uses echo messages which determine:
- The time to communicate with the destination device
- Number of packets lost in the communication
The ping utility was introduced in 1983 by an American named Mike Muuss in Maryland.
You can use this command in the many operating systems. Some of them are:
- MAC OS
Using the PING Command For Windows:
You can also find the IP address of Google by typing following command in the command prompt
Open DNS Server:
- It is the one that solves DNS lookup for any request on the internet.
- Almost all web clients rely on this server.
- Hackers use this feature for hacking.
- They use this to make a DDOS attack called Amplification attack.
Open DNS vs. Google DNS:
You can improve your browsing speed by using a third-party DNS server.
An example of such one is from Google.
Open one is faster than a third party server.
It also gives you much flexibility.
Open DNS Server:
- It provides you safety from phishing sites.
- It gives you the option to block websites you don’t like.
- It has been serving more than 30 billion requests per day.
- It hasn’t and also will not go down for a more extended period.
Google DNS Server:
- It is reliable.
- It is by Google
- It responds to more than 100 billion queries per day.
- It is too simple and has no domain blocking
The Difference Between Preferred and Alternate DNS server:
The preferred one works as the first choice.
- If they don’t work then other ones come into action.
- The presence of these two benefits the user who is accessing a particular web page.
- If a user fails to access the web page through a preferred one than other one does the work of that server which had failed.
If your preferred server is down than your computer issues that request to the alternate ones.
By reading this article, you should have completely understood how to find the DNS server.
At home, if you need this information, then your modem starts concluding that for you and at work, your IT Company sets up large computers with IP addresses.
They had both alternate and preferred DNS servers that have the DNS server address.
Thus this technology is serving people in the best possible way and playing an essential role in the world of internet.
You can also have a look at the infographic on working of the DNS Server.
I hope you will like it a lot.