Is your Chromebook unable to switch on?
Are you still receiving a blank screen after charging it?
Or is it that when you lift the lid, the screen remains blank?
You have reached the correct location. There are several possible reasons why this occurs, but there has not been a definite cause for the problem.
You might have tried several solutions, but your Chromebook won’t turn on.
Table of Contents
- What Does It Mean When Your Chromebook Won’t Turn on?
- How to Fix a Chromebook That Won’t Turn On?
- Chromebook That Won’t Turn on or Charge
- Chromebook That Won’t Turn On, But the Light is on
- Chromebook That Won’t Turn on Unless Plugged in
- Chromebook Black Screen of Death
What Does It Mean When Your Chromebook Won’t Turn on?
Your Chromebook does not turn on, which means any part of your computer.
It can be a charger, external removable devices, OS, or any internal component.
If you are facing issues, check each part before moving to a solution.
How to Fix a Chromebook That Won’t Turn On?
There are many methods to resolve this problem, and each solution has several ways to implement it. We have gathered the most useful methods to do it.
Method 01: Power Wash
Back up your data before proceeding, as this will wipe out all your local data and accounts.
Your device’s factory settings can restore via Power Wash.
- Navigate to the Settings menu. You can do this by finding settings in the search bar or using the notification panel in the bottom-right corner.
- To see more options, scroll down and click on the Advanced tab.
- Select Reset settings from the drop-down menu. On the right, notice the Powerwash feature.
- Next to the Powerwash option, click the Reset button.
- You will receive a message to restart your computer. To Powerwash your Chromebook, click the ‘Restart’ button.
- Now, wait for your Chromebook to complete the process to factory settings. Your Chromebook will boot up as if it were brand new.
Method 02: Update the Chrome OS
- Activate the ‘Settings’ window. To do so, go to the notifications bar and click the ‘gear’ button.
- On the left pane of the Settings window, select the ‘About Chrome OS’ tab. If you’re using an older version of Chrome OS, you may need to first click on the ‘hamburger menu, as seen below, to see the various tabs.
- Continue by selecting the ‘About Chrome OS’ tab. My Chromebook is running Chrome OS version 83, an old version, as you can see in the image below.
- Click the Check for Updates button to update your Chromebook to the most recent version. Make sure you connect your Chromebook to the internet.
Also, Read How Do I Fix Chrome OS Missing or Damaged?
Method 03: Hard Reset the Chromebook
If you’re having more crucial hardware problems, a hard reset might be the solution. You can follow these steps:
- Hold the Power key down until the Chromebook turns off.
- Look for the Refresh button. It appears on the top row of the device’s keyboard, next to the back and forward arrow keys, and looks like a circular arrow.
- Press and hold the Refresh key and the Power button at the same time. Release the Refresh key once the Chromebook has booted up.
Chromebook That Won’t Turn on or Charge
When your Chromebook does not charge, then check physical cables and LED light indicator.
If both are working fine, then go for embedded control reset (EC).
- Turn off your Chromebook.
- Connect your Chromebook and charged it to the wall.
- Press and hold the Power and Refresh buttons on the keyboard with your fingers.
- When your Chromebook turns on, press and hold the Refresh button.
- Your Chromebook should now be ready to use. If this happens, you’ll need to conduct a reset to proceed.
Chromebook That Won’t Turn On, But the Light is on
If you’ve explored all other options, you can try pulling the battery.
- To remove the cover from the keyboard, undo the screws and then unhinge it. You’ll have to pry it open with your fingers or a butter knife.
- Locate the battery. It’s a massive black rectangular block attached to a cable. The trick is to unplug the wire for a few minutes and then plug it back in.
- It is a broad overview; however, look up how to dismantle your specific model on Google or watch a YouTube video if one is available.
Chromebook That Won’t Turn on Unless Plugged in
You can first try quick fixes like drain battery and then fully charge it.
Even when you fully charge the Chromebook, it can sometimes not switch on using the power button.
- Your Chromebook’s lid should be closed.
- Connect one end of your Chromebook power cord to a wall outlet and the other end to your Chromebook.
- Pressing no keys, open the lid of your Chromebook.
- You might see that lovely white screen with the Chrome logo after a few seconds. In my experience, once you’ve done this, the power button will work again.
Useful Read How to Fix My Laptop Battery Not Charging?
Chromebook Black Screen of Death
The black screen on startup scares many users as it indicates something serious has happened to the device.
To fix the issue, press the Power and Reload buttons on the Chromebook keyboard at the same time.
The power button on some flip-style Chromebooks is situated on the side of the Chromebook. It causes the Chromebook to shut down and then restart.
You can resolve the Chromebook won’t turn on issue by using all the above-given solutions alternatively for any related issues.
These all are working and convenient methods for solving this problem. Good Luck!
Also, Checkout How to Change Your Password on a Chromebook?