Google has released a new operating system called Chrome OS. This operating system was developed in collaboration with manufacturers.
Chromebooks are computers that run the Chrome OS operating system. Though every OS encounters some issue, there is nothing terrible other than the message of chrome OS missing or damaged for the Chromebook users.
It is a software issue that can be addressed in several ways. But more importantly, you must know that what can be the reasons for these issues.
So, to make you aware of the causes and solutions in case your chrome OS is missing or damaged, we have listed down everything in a concise manner.
What Causes Chrome OS is Missing or Damaged?
There can be several reasons for missing Chrome OS, including system issues or nay missing system software.
Some reasons for Chrome OS missing or damages are as follows:
- When the system cannot load the operating system, it then alerts the “Chrome OS is missing or damaged.” Usually, this message appears when the system starts but can also appear while running/using the computer. The error screen varies for the different device models, but the solution and the warning are the same for all the Chromebooks.
- Another primary reason is that your machine does not find an operating system while booting that needs to be reinstalled.
- Subsequently, the main reason for this warning is that a software error means a problem in booting the system or not finding the OS.
How do I Fix Chrome OS Missing and Damage?
Chromebooks have a low rate of errors. If the error message “Chrome OS is missing or disabled” appears, the Chrome operating system can need to be reinstalled.
If you are experiencing these issues, you might need to reinstall Chrome OS. If you are getting more error messages on your Chromebook, you may be dealing with a serious hardware problem. This problem can be solved any of the following messages:
The simplest method to fix the chrome OS missing and damage is to reboot your Chromebook. Rebooting solves many issues, especially those that are related to software.
It is effortless to reboot. Just press and hold the power button until the device shutdown; again, press and hold the power button until it turns on. This normally solves the issue, but it does not, then you can try other methods.
As mentioned above, the warning “Chrome OS is missing or damage” is because of any problem in OS, and that can be recovered by removing and reinstalling it. To recover the operating system, follow these steps:
Step 01: Log out from your Chromebook.
Step 02: Press Ctrl, Alt, shift, and R together and hold when the Sign-in screen appears.
Step 03: It will prompt the “Reset this Chrome device” option, perform step 2 again.
Step 04: Tap Power wash and Revert; recover Chromebook by following the provided instructions.
Another method of resolving the operating system of Chromebook when it stops working is restoring it. Prepare your computer before performing the recovery steps:
- Grab a computer having Chrome installed.
- A USB with at least 8GB space.
- Make sure you remove all external devices except the power cable.
- Back up your data because the recovery process will remove all the data.
Let us move towards the main steps now:
Steps for the Undamaged Chromebook
Step 01: Get a chrome recovery utility extension in the bootable computer. You can search and find it on google. Add it to Chrome, and downloading will start automatically.
Step 02: Run the downloaded utility extension.
Step 03: Create a recovery USB using this extension by following the steps.
Steps for Damaged Chromebook
Step 04: Press and hold escape, and refresh button together, and tap the power button.
Step05: It will ask to insert the bootable media. Insert the prepared USB drive in the Chromebook, and the restoration process will start automatically. It will take time, so keep patience.
Step 06: When the screen shows that the Chrome OS restoration is complete, unplug the USB drive, and it will restart itself.
Yay, your system is restored.
There might be some other methods as well, but these are 100% working methods based on the problem you are facing in the Chromebook.
The Device You Inserted does not Contain Chrome OS
The Chromebook shows this message when your device is not properly inserted. Try inserting it in other ports. Make sure you are not running the system in recovery mode. Power off the system, insert the USB device, turn it on by pressing the power button, and when the dev mode screen arrives, type ctrl and U.
How to Hard Reset Chromebook?
Commonly used method to hard reset Chromebook is:
- Shutdown Chromebook
- Push and hold the refresh button and then press the power button.
- When the Chromebook starts, free the refresh button.
Factory Reset Chromebook Without Password
There are 2-3 methods to factory reset the Chromebook. Some of them are:
- Go to settings, move to advance, and press reset settings. It will take some time, and your Chromebook will reset itself.
- Now, what if you have forgotten the Chromebook password. In this situation, restart Chromebook and press ctrl, alt, shift, and R keys altogether. It will prompt a reset window having the option of Powerwash. Tap the Powerwash button and reset.
Anyone can face issues while using digital technology, especially your systems central to digitalization and this modern world.
There are many operating systems that people are using nowadays according to their needs, and Chrome is one of them.
So, where there is technology, there is an issue as well. Any issue encountered in the OS can be addressed in different ways and the common issue “Chrome OS is missing or damaged” also has several solutions from the simplest to the complex one. We have put them all together to describe everything.