A hard drive is a major component of the system to run the Operating system and BIOS. If the hard drive stops working, the OS cannot load, and the computer does not start. The computer warns them whenever the hard drive shows some unusual behavior.
It is very important to respond to the warnings of the computer at the start and take steps to save data, then replace a hard drive and reinstall the operating system.
In this article, you will get to know about how to replace laptop hard drive and reinstall operating system.
There are several ways to replace a hard drive and then reinstall OS as one can do manually, through shortcuts, and can go to a computer repair shop as well.
How to Replace a Hard Drive and Reinstall the Operating System?
In this section of the guide, we will investigate some steps with which one himself can replace the hard drive and reinstall it.
So, let us move towards the different methods:
Method 01: Replacing Hard Drive with Backup
a) Backing Up Data
As data is the asset of every user and with hard drive failure, you can lose your data.
So, your first step should back up your data like programs, documents, photo and video files, or anything.
You can move these all things to the cloud or an external storage device like a USB.
b) Recovery Disc Creation
You will need space to reinstall your windows OS.
So, make sure you create a recovery disc having enough space so that windows can be installed in it when you start the complete process.
Open the computer’s door by unscrewing it and the place of door and designing varies from manufacturer to manufacturer.
c) Remove Old Drive
Now, turn off and unplug your computer.
Find the hard drive and remove both external and internal connected cables. Unscrew and remove the old drive. It is fine if you do not remove the drive physically, but most people prefer to free up space by removing it.
d) Place the New Drive
Placing a new drive has the same steps as removing it, you only have to perform all steps in a reverse direction.
Place the drive case, screw it, connect the cables, close the door and your new drive is ready to use now.
e) Reinstall Operating System
Plug in your computer and start it. Press the escape key while the computer runs. The BIOS key varies from computer model to model.
Now boot menu will appear. Follow the instructions provided through prompt windows. Create a partition, format it, and install windows in the new hard drive.
You have two options here, either customize it according to your choice or go with the default settings. Once windows are installed, it may ask you to restart the computer.
Restart your computer and it will take a few hours to complete the steps and restart it.
Also, Checkout Windows 10 Updates Failed to Install
Method 02 Cloning Hard Drive
Another method for transferring data to a new drive is to “clone” the old one.
You should manually link the old drive to the new drive if the hard drive malfunction is because of a hardware error rather than a program glitch or a lost disc. Shift an exact copy of the records, operating system, and files to the new drive using cloning software.
We only recommended this if you want a copy of your old drive that includes all the unnecessary files that can accumulate.
Find a trustworthy solution for cloning software that is best for your situation by doing some research. If a hard drive fails because of a digital problem, such as corrupted data, you can simply replace it with a new one.
How to Replace Laptop Hard Drive and Reinstall Windows 10?
The method for replacing a hard drive and reinstalling windows 10 on a laptop is almost the same. The method is:
- If you want to restore your data later, back up your files in a cloud-like OneDrive or to external storage devices. You will find the backup option as settings > update and security > backup.
- Inject a USB device to your laptop with enough space for holding windows and backup to this device.
- Turn off your system and install the new drive.
- Restart your PC and boot it in the recovery drive with the USB inserted in it.
- Insert a USB with enough storage to hold Windows and Back-Up to the USB drive
- Restore your data from the backup. (if needed).
- Install windows 10 on a second hard drive
How to Reinstall Windows 10 in Second Drive?
Most people worry about installing windows 10 on the second hard drive while not damaging their previous system.
- Though it is not much hard, just follow these instructions:
- At the very first step, create a bootable device and for this, download the Windows ISO file from the official website or through a media creation tool.
- Second, format the USB drive yourself or when you will load the windows ISO file, it will itself ask for deleting the files. So, make sure your USB device is empty. Now your bootable USB is ready.
- Restart your PC, open the boot menu and load it through the USB (make it a primary choice for booting). It will then prompt a windows setup and you can go ahead by clicking install now and providing general information.
Also, Read Windows Cannot Be Installed to This Disk
How to Upgrade Hard Drive and Reinstall Windows 10?
You can reinstall windows 10 on your PC by using any of the methods explained above.
Another tactic for reinstalling the windows with an upgraded hard drive.
Your hard drive cannot have additional space except you add an extra drive or replace the existing one with the upgrade one.
If you are replacing the hard drive, then follow the steps mentioned in “how to replace a hard drive and reinstall OS or windows 10”, otherwise you do not need to do anything
You can upgrade your windows through the media creation tool. Just download, install, and run it. It will show some instructions, follow them, and upgrade your windows.
As hard drive is the one of the main of the computer/laptop, so it is necessary to keep check of it. One should know that how to replace laptop hard drive and reinstall operating system and if you do not know about it, then do not worry, just give a read to our guide