Windows 10 is a recent operating system that has millions of users throughout the world. However, despite its widespread use, the system has several flaws that you may encounter daily. One of those issues is ‘Windows 10 update failed to install.
- Microsoft Windows 10 Updates Failed to Install
- Problems Upgrading From windows 7 to windows 10
- Windows 10 Update Failed to Install undoing changes
Microsoft Windows 10 Updates Failed to Install
Do not get too worked up if you cannot upgrade Windows due to update issues. You can fix such inaccuracies by following the thorough instructions below.
Method 01: Troubleshooter Tool
Microsoft has released a dedicated tool to help resolve issues with Windows 10 updates. This program is free and anyone can download it, even if they do not have a Microsoft account. all you have to do now is to run the tool and check if it can detect and correct any issues.
- Download the windows troubleshooter tool from Microsoft’s official website.
- Double-click the WindowsUpdate.diagcab file. The troubleshooter window will open because of this.
- Follow the directions on the screen. Either troubleshooter will become successful in identifying a problem or will show other options.
Method 02: Restarting Update Services
A service related to Windows Update may cause errors if you have switched off before or set to improper settings. Fortunately, you can easily solve this by running certain instructions that will reset your update-delivery services.
- To use the Run utility, use the Windows + R keys on your keyboard.
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Enter after typing “cmd.” This will start the Command Prompt with administrative privileges.
- Grant permission command prompt to change your device. This may lead to logging into an administrative account.
- Disable download and install Windows Update files services. Enter the following commands on new lines in the Command Prompt:
- Once you run all commands and, type the following two instructions:
- Finally, use the commands below to restart Windows Update-related services. To execute the command, hit Enter after each new line:
- Close the command prompt. Now try to update your windows again.
Method 03: Disable Antivirus
Antivirus sometimes causes problems with the windows update. So, disabling it might help in resolving the update issue:
- Run Task Manager by right-clicking on an empty spot in your taskbar.
- Using the header menu at the top of the window, Go to the Start-up tab.
- Find and choose your antivirus program from the list by clicking on it once.
- In the bottom-right corner of the window, click the disabled button. This will prevent the app from starting when you turn on your smartphone.
- Restart your computer and check for updates.
Method 04: Free Up Space by Uninstalling Unnecessary Software
Sometimes when you update the computer, the updates stop installing because you have no space for further installation. You can free up space by deleting files and the software that are not important. To uninstall any software, follow these steps:
- Go to the search bar and open the control panel
- Go to programs and you will see all programs listed.
- Choose one, right-click, and uninstall.
- Follow the instructions shown on the screen.
Method 06: Restoring Windows from Backup.
If every method fails, look for a System Restore Point on your computer. Use this to restore your machine to a condition where Windows Updates could download and install correctly. Then update to the most recent version of this state.
- To open the search bar, press the Windows + S keys on your keyboard.
- Search for the term “restore” and select “Create a restore point” from the list of results. This will launch the System Properties window.
- Click the System Restore button on the System Protection tab. This will cause creating a new dialogue window.
- To locate a restore point on your device, follow the on-screen instructions. Restore it and try again to update your system.
Problems Upgrading From windows 7 to windows 10
You can fix this issue by following any of the steps mentioned in the Windows 10 update failed to install section. Each technique can work for this issue. Except for all those methods you can install windows update assistant from Microsoft’s website. It is an authentic and 100% safe tool for upgrading windows.
- Download and install run it.
- Scan for updates
- Install all available updates. You can upgrade your windows through this tool as well.
Windows 10 Update Failed to Install undoing changes
- There is insufficient free disc space. This is the major reason for the error. Windows updates will not install easily if there is not enough free space on your system disc for the update.
- During the installation process, a power outage can halt the update. Then it shows the error “we couldn’t complete the updates reversing modifications.”
- If your system files are damaged then you can examine and resolve this problem with an SFC scan or DISM.
- Indicator for spare space on a hard disc that is incorrect
No doubt windows are exceptional and easy to use, but they also have some technical problems. These issues can become severe if you do not update the system from time to time. What if you cannot update it and get the error Windows 10 update failed to install, you can’t undo changes, or cannot update to a better version? So, the above guide is to help you out in all these situations. Good Luck!