You may get many types of errors when installing Windows OS, which means Windows cannot be installed to this disk gpt. This error arises when you select to install an MBR or GPT partition to Windows.
Make sure the disk partition and windows installation type match. We have compiled all methods that will help you get rid of these and other related problems.
- Windows Cannot Be Installed to This Disk Gpt Partition Style
- How to Install Windows 10 On Gpt Partition Without Data Loss?
- How to Convert MBR to GPT During Windows Installation?
- How to Convert GPT to NTFS During Windows 10 Installation?
Windows Cannot Be Installed to This Disk Gpt Partition Style
Method 01: Convert GPT to MBR
- When the GPT partition style issue appears during system installation, press Shift + F10 to start a Command Prompt. If it does not work, return to the installation’s first screen and press Shift + F10.
- In the command prompt, type the diskpart and hit Enter.
- Enter the command list disk to see a list of all the disks attached to your computer.
- Press Enter after typing disk # and selecting it. Replace # with the disk number that corresponds to the GPT partition style hard disk.
- Press Enter after typing clean. This command cleared the specified disk of all partitions and data.
- Press Enter after typing convert MBR. This command changes the disk’s format to MBR.
Method 02: Through Boot
- Shut down the computer and insert the Windows installation DVD or USB drive.
- Boot the computer from a DVD or USB drive.
- Press Shift + F10 in Windows Setup to open the command prompt.
- Type the following commands in the correct order: Diskpart> list disk> select disk> clean> convert gpt > exit
- Shut down the Command Prompt.
- Carry on with the Windows setup.
The drive will appear as a single not allocated space after the conversion. Click Next after selecting the remaining space. Without sending the same problem, Windows will start the installation.
Method 03: Using BIOS Setup
- Restart your computer.
- Press the corresponding BIOS key many times.
- Look for boot mode choice. This is usually available under the “Boot” tab menu, which will inform you what boot mode you’re in.
- You’ll need to convert the GPT disk partition to an MBR partition table if your boot mode is Legacy BIOS and there isn’t a UEFI option.
- If the option to use UEFI mode or a mix of UEFI/Legacy Boot is available, select it and save your modifications. You can now install Windows on the hard drive of your choice.
Windows Cannot Be Installed to This Disk Gpt Without Losing Data
- Get any third-party tool, install it, and run it.
- Select the disk you wish to convert, then go to the Disk menu and select Convert to MBR Partition Table from the drop-down menu.
- When the software asks for confirmation of the operation, click OK.
- From the toolbar, select Save All to save the changes to the partition table.
- Reinstall Windows to see if the problem has been resolved.
You can examine all recoverable files from the scanning results after it completes the scanning. Select a file type to preview, such as JPEG, JPG, GIF, PNG, MP4, DOC, and so on. To get your data back, select the recovered files you want to recover and click the “Copy to” option.
How to Install Windows 10 On Gpt Partition Without Data Loss?
- Boot your computer from a window 10 USB drive.
- Enter the BIOS of the computer (for example, using F2 or the Delete key)
- Go to the Boot Options Menu and select it.
- Select Enabled for Launch CSM.
- Select UEFI Only as the Boot Device Control option.
- Select UEFI driver as the initial boot option from Storage Devices.
- Save your modifications and reboot your computer.
- Restart the computer and install Windows 10 on the GPT partition.
How to Convert MBR to GPT During Windows Installation?
- To reach the Command Prompt during Windows installation, hit the F8 key on the keyboard.
- Once you have opened a cmd.exe window, type diskpart and press the Enter key on your keyboard.
- When a new window appears, enter the commands below in the sequence listed, and then press the Enter key on the keyboard after you have entered each command.
- To convert MBR disks to GPT disks, use the commands listed above.
As you can see, this method can convert MBR to GPT in just a few steps during Windows installation. However, it can also clean the data on the specified disk.
How to Convert GPT to NTFS During Windows 10 Installation?
- Select Control Panel from the Windows to start menu, then Administrative Tools then computer Management.
- If you are asked to confirm that you wish to open the Computer Management window then choose Yes.
- Select Disk Management from the drop-down menu. By looking at the hard drive size, you may figure out which GPT hard drive you want to format.
- Confirm that only unallocated is visible on the GPT hard drive by right-clicking on each partition and the space listed on the GPT hard drive you to wish to format. Select it and Delete Volume.
- Right-click on Convert to MBR Disk on the hard disk and select Convert to MBR Disk.
- Again right-click on the “not-allocated” space of the hard drive and select New Simple Volume. In the New Simple Volume Wizard that opens, click the “Next” button.
- Click Next after entering the partition size in megabytes in the Simple volume size in the MB box.
- Select the radio button- and drop-down box for Assign the following drive letter. Click Next to assign to the hard disk partition.
- Select the radio box that says format this volume with the following parameters. Type partition name in the Volume label box.
- Select Perform a quick format from the drop-down menu, then Next and Finish.
Windows 10 is easy to use, but it comes with many installation errors. If you have faced any of these issues, we mentioned above or particularly the Windows cannot be installed to this disk gpt then follow the explained steps. Try these out and let us know which one worked for you.