Someone in a meeting: Hello, am I audible?
You with headphones: No, you are not audible.
Later, you came to know that your headphones stopped working. When you checked on your phone, they were working fine. So, you understand that headphones are not working on windows 10.
There are several reasons for headphone sound issues. Mostly, the issue is because of the headphones themselves or with the port, but sometimes it is a software issue. To make it simpler to resolve this issue, we have listed some methods. Check them out.
Headphones Not Working on Windows 10 Laptop.
Method 01: Hardware Check
- The headphones themselves and the port you put them into are two notable pieces of hardware that could be problematic if your headphones are not working.
- To begin, try plugging the headphones into another device to see whether they function. If your headphones still do not work, it is a good sign you need new ones.
- If the headphones work on another device, try connecting them into a different audio port on the PC where they are not working. If they suddenly work, the issue is most likely with the original port.
Method 02: Enable Headphones
The Sound window is another important place to go if your headphones are not working in Windows 10.
- Right-click the speaker icon in the Windows notification area.
- Select “Open Sound Settings.”
- Click “Manage sound devices” in the Sound Settings window.
- 4See if your “headset” or “headphones” are under “Disabled.”
- Choose them and click “Enable.”
If you want to set it to default device:
- Connect the headphones and navigate to the sound setting.
- Find the Choose your output device option.
- Select your headphones.
Method 03: Check Drivers.
Mostly the functionality of the laptop does not work because of outdated drivers. So, the headphones issue can also be because of the drivers. One sign of unworking driver is that when you connect the headphones, it will not generate any sound. To resolve this issue, follow these steps:
- Go to Device Manager
- Look for Sound, Video, and game controllers.
- Right-click on the audio driver and update the driver. You can then select search automatically for updated driver software.
Method 04: Update the Format of Headphones
- Return to the Sound window and select the Playback tab from the drop-down menu.
- Right-click your headphones, then select “Properties” and the Advanced tab.
- Experiment with the headphones’ “Default Format.”
- Click “Test” each time you change to see if you can hear audio.
Method 05: Change Audio Standard
Let us assume everything is working fine on both ends: software and hardware. The sound settings in the computer have two standards: AC97 and HD audio.
- Go to the audio driver tool.
- Check HD Audio Front panel in Connector settings.
- Optional: You can set Headphones as a second audio device.
Method 06: Ensure Bluetooth is Working.
Bluetooth is another reason for headphones not working in Windows 10. It is only with headphone Bluetooth. You keep this in mind:
- Double-check that your headphones are compatible with Windows 10. Your headphones may not operate properly if your PC only supports Bluetooth 4.0, but your headphones are Bluetooth 5.0.
- Select “Device Manager” from the Start menu by right-clicking. To see your current Bluetooth version, expand “Bluetooth.”
- You can also reinstall the Bluetooth driver on your PC.
Windows 10 Headphones Not Showing UP in Playback Devices.
Like the headphones are not working issue, you should also check for hardware for this issue. If there is not any problem with headphones or port, then you should perform the following fixes:
Fix 01: Uninstalling Audio Driver
- Open Device Manager
- Look for the sound, video, and game options and expand them.
- Uninstall the Audio Driver by right-clicking on it.
- Once you uninstalled the driver, reinstall your system.
Fix 02: Stereo Mix
- Expand the Volume icon on the Taskbar.
- Choose the sounds option and move to the record tab.
- Ensure that both View disabled devices and disconnected devices options are checked.
- Right-click on the stereo mix and enable it.
Fix 03: Sound Settings
- Open the control panel and click on sound.
- Find your device in the list and if it is not their check disabled devices.
- Choose your device and enable it.
Headphones Recognized as Speakers Windows 10
Follow the steps below to do so:
- Run the Realtek HD Audio Manager
- Right-click the option where your headphone is linked in the back panel.
- Select Headphone from the Connector drop-down menu.
- Headphones Not Working After Windows 10 Update
- Connect your earphones/headphones to your computer.
- Select Device Manager from the options by pressing the Windows logo + X keys on the keyboard.
- Check if the earphone/headphone drivers are visible in the Audio inputs and outputs window by expanding the Audio inputs and outputs option.
- If this is the case, right-click on the driver and choose to Update this software from the menu.
- Wait for the update to finish and then follow the on-screen instructions.
- After the update is complete, verify that the changes have taken effect.
- If the issue persists, go to the manufacturer’s website, and download and install the most up-to-date and compatible device drivers.
USB-C Headphones Not Working on Windows 10
You can resolve this issue through any method mentioned in the above sections. If any method does not work, then run the audio troubleshooter.
- After clicking the Start button, go to the Settings icon.
- Choose Updates & Security from the Settings menu.
- Select Troubleshoot from the left pane.
- In the right pane, select Playing Audio and Run the Trouble-shooter.
- As the Audio Troubleshooter tries to diagnose and solve sound problems on your computer, follow the on-screen directions.
We have tried our best to facilitate you with every possible solution to the problems regarding headphones and their connectivity. Do refer this to someone who is facing headphones not working on windows 10 issues.
Useful Read How Do Wireless Earbuds Work?
Leave a Reply