The computer market keeps changing continuously and providing more improved imaging technologies
The PC and laptops screens, although it consists of various shapes and sizes but have in thing in common, i.e., an LCD panel.
All these LCDs are not the same.
One of the most common LCD panels among all is the In-Plane Switching display.
Do you know what an IPS monitor display is?
Well, if you don’t know about in-plane switching (IPS) technology, then no need to be dishearted anymore.
This article will prove to be a PC monitor guide for you.
It covers a lot of different monitor panel types.
It also explains the differences between IPS, LED, TN, and other monitor panel types.
What is an IPS Panel Monitor Display?
This is the monitor on the professional’s desk. The IPS technology is introduced by the LG display. They are not much different than LCD.
They have a grid of liquid crystals pixels that block the light
- What Does IPS Stand For?
- IPS Monitor Meaning:
- IPS Response Time:
- Variants of IPS Panel:
- What is an IPS Monitor Good For?
- Different Types of IPS Monitor Panels:
- IPS Display Laptop:
- Different Types of Computer Monitor Displays and Panels:
- Common Display Features:
- 1) LCD:
- 2) Twisted Nematic (TN) Displays:
- 3) VA Panel Monitor:
- 4) LED Backlit:
- 5) OLED Monitor:
- 6) CRT Monitor:
- 7) Ultra High Definition Monitor:
- 8) Touchscreen Monitors:
- What to Look For When Buying a Gaming Monitor?
- Difference Between Monitor Panel Types:
- What’s the Difference Between an IPS and TN Monitors? TN Panel vs. IPS:
- LCD vs. LED Monitor:
- VA vs. IPS Monitor
- IPS vs. LED:
- Triple Monitor Gaming:
- 3D Computer Monitor:
- Graphics Card:
- Final Words:
What Does IPS Stand For?
IPS has undoubtedly now become a much more prominent marketing word. It stands for In-Plane Switching.
PLS (plane to line switching), AHVA (advanced hyper viewing angles )panels, and IPS(in-plane switch) are collectively known as IPS-type panels.
IPS Monitor Meaning:
Some of the features that make these panels different from others are:
- Color accuracy
- Viewing angle
- Image quality
- Support for extended color gamuts
- They are also perfect for graphic designing and other apps of this sort that need accurate color reproduction.
- The wide viewing angles of such panels are up to 178 degrees.
- They are much more responsive.
Because of all these benefits, their price is a bit high.
IPS Response Time:
- Its response time is also adequate and lies between 6ms to 16ms.
- Response time of more than 8ms can result in motion blur for fast gamers.
Cost is the main disadvantage of such panels.
- The cost is high.
- This high cost is because their construction requires a large number of transistors, and also the lighting is needed for the pixels.
- Thus this results in a bit more complicated structure.
Due to the increasing market competition, their price has been a bit lower, but the more features you desire, the more you will have to pay.
Variants of IPS Panel:
This technology is for LCDs. Many variants of such panels exist.
- Samsung’s PLS panels
- LG EIPS panels.
Their usage experience varies a bit.
What is an IPS Monitor Good For?
- They display accurate colors from all the viewing angles.
- They do not lighten when touched.
- They offer a much stable response time.
- They offer a clear image.
- Improve the visual experience of gaming.
- It is highly recommended for video editing.
- They are excellent for gaming too.
- While doing graphical artwork, they will help you a lot.
- If you have your 1440p IPS monitor at 96Hz, then you inevitably run the game much efficiently and smoothly than 60fps.
IPS Monitor For Gaming:
Some of the game for which you should give priority to the in-plane switching displays are:
- Far cry4
- Battlefield franchise
- Call of duty franchise
- Need for speed
What are the Best IPS Monitor for Gaming?
- Asus PG279Q
- Dell UP2718Q
- Acer XR382CQK
- BenQ SW271
- BenQ PD32OOU
- HP 22CWA
Manufactures of IPS:
- LG Display
- Japan Display
- Au Optronics
Different Types of IPS Monitor Panels:
As discussed earlier, there are various iterations in them.
Now very few manufacturers use such panels as compared to the other one
b) H-IPS panels:
They are considered as a newer variation in s-panel.
They have a much more improved pixel structure. This pixel structure also improves the contact ratio to prove a much better image quality.
c) Super PLS:
They are much similar to the in-plane switching panels in design and construction.
The features of this type that considered to be improved from others are:
- Wider viewing angles
- Produce 10% more brightness
- AHVA stands for an advanced hyper viewing angle.
- It is sometimes also mixed up with the VA (vertical alignment)
IPS Display Laptop:
Are you confused about buying a laptop?
Do you have any idea about the displays, i.e., Which one to choose?
You might have heard that IPS displays for laptops are excellent, but what the reason?
They have a better color accuracy that will be much help to you if you use software like:
- Adobe Lightroom
- Adobe Illustrator
- Autodesk 3d studio max
- Sony Vegas
and many other phone video editing software.
You will surely identify better color patterns
Also Checkout Monitor Cable Types You Should Know
What is an IPS LED Monitor?
They have LED backlights.
Different Types of Computer Monitor Displays and Panels:
Many people are aware of the fact that different monitor panel types come in various resolutions, and each of them has different screen sizes too.
Common Display Features:
These panels differ in many aspects from each other.
Some of them are:
- Refresh rate
- 3D capabilities
- Screen size
- Different angle types
- Monitor viewing angle
Monitor Viewing Angle:
It is the maximum angle at which you can view a display with an acceptable visual performance.
- This angular range is referred to as the viewing cone.
- The image most often seems poorly saturates, blurry, and garbled outside the being angle ranges.
- A narrow viewing can be used regarding security too.
- In this way, employees can easy held private information in the presence of their customers.
- It is measured in ms.
- It is grey to grey transition time.
Some common types of computer monitors displays include:
- The main disadvantage of the CRT monitors was that they required more space
- They also consumed a bit more power, which made things even more difficult.
- Hence need arose to develop a screen that consumed less power.
- Increased productivity and was much smaller in size.
Thus LCD was introduced that is smaller than CRT and also consumed less power than them.
How Does an LCD Screen Work?
LCDs follow the blocking light principle.
- They are made up of active and passive grids that are made up of conductors.
- This grid consists of pixels that are mounted at each intersection.
- This network structure holds the responsibility to control the pixel luminance.
- This leads to a much higher refresh rate. A higher refresh rate refers to smoother operations.
Do You Know What is LCD Ghosting Effect?
- It is an artifact where you see a ghost moving between the objects on the screen.
- The reason for this issue is slow response time.
- When the object moves across the screen, the trailing purpose behind it is unable to shift color quickly, which results in the shadow trail behind that object on the screen.
- Slow response time can be frustrating.
Contrast and Black Levels in LCD:
- LCDs most often suffer from inadequate black levels and reduced contrast as compared to the other displays.
- Poor contrast causes a flat-looking display.
- Black levels mean how dark a pixel can become.
Liquid crystals are not self-illuminated. That’s why a black or an edge light is needed to light up the pixels.
Wide Color Gamut in LCD:
- It refers to the color reproduction.
- It means how well the colors are being displayed on the screen.
- For creative professionals, this feature is very crucial.
- The wide color gamut can give a much better display.
More work in this area leads to the development of LED screens.
The difference is that they use light-emitting diodes and not fluorescent screens.
Backlighting in LCD TV:
Three forms of illumination have been used in this regard.
1) CCFL Backlighting:
- It is an older form of technology.
- A CCFL series sits behind the LCD.
- The crystals are illuminated by the light evenly.
- This illumination means that all picture regions will have the same brightness level.
2) Full-Array Backlighting:
Here arrays of LEDs are present onto the backside of LCD screens that can be lit or dimmed by a process referred to as the local dimming.
3) Edge Lighting:
- It has LED along the edges of the screen.
- It includes some more different configurations.
- These include LEDs along all the four edges.
Different Types of LCD Screen Display:
Two most common types of LCDs include
- TN TFT display
We have discussed the IPS panels earlier. Now we will consider the TN panels here.
2) Twisted Nematic (TN) Displays:
Many LCDs are based on TN designs.
- TN stands for twisted nematic.
- They are the most widely used panels.
- They are mostly used in homes.
- They are a much better option for the gamers who love desire a higher refresh rate.
- They have a shorter response time, which is good for gaming.
- Produce high brightness
- Low power consumption
- Faster switching panels which provide a lag-free gaming experience
- Generally made for the gamers
How Does TN Screen Work?
- They work by passing light through 2 screens.
- A crystal blocks the light when the current is applied to the screens.
- The screen is a polarized screen.
- You have the control of changing the current too.
Does TN Panel Have Better Response Time?
- They offer a much better response time that makes them the perfect choice for the fast-paced gamers.
- The response time ranges from 2ms to 5ms.
- This panel is only 8 bit and is therefore unable to display all the 24-bit true color.
- A color shift occurs at wide viewing angles.
- No true color accuracy
3) VA Panel Monitor:
- Vertical alignment panels offered much better color production and bit wider viewing ample than the TN panels, but one thing to consider is that they have lower response time than the TN panels.
- It offers a much higher contrast ratio as compared to the other panels. On reaching the 5000:1, these appear a higher contrast as compared to the other panel types.
- It is a mid-range option.
- This panel sits in between the high TN speed and color-rich EIPS panels.
- The display is as fast as the TN and colorful as the IPS.
Color shifting occurs in such panels.
- Color shifting is when you view an image form 2 slightly different angles, and it appears to a bit changed.
- This color shift also caused a shadow loss when it is directly viewed from the center.
They are mostly used in HDTVs.
4) LED Backlit:
- It helped us in improving the color contrast and also reduced power consumption.
- It also improved the picture quality.
- Due to more brightness, the image can be viewed more clearly.
- They are lightweight too.
Different Types of LED Screens:
Today three LED types are found:
- White edge
- Full led array
- Local dimming led
a) White Edge:
It implements a diffusion panel with the white LED that is on the screen edge.
This diffusion panel helps in light dispersing throughout the screen.
b) Full LED:
It implements LED light arrays right behind the screen.
c) Local Dimming LED System:
It implements dynamic light arrays.
5) OLED Monitor:
- They can light up the dark picture elements.
- OLED monitors work without the backlit.
- As a result of which the monitors are much thinner and are more energy-efficient.
6) CRT Monitor:
They used CRT technology.
How Does a CRT Monitor Work?
- They make use of electrons to form the image on the screen.
- There is a cathode ray tube that contains an electron gun.
7) Ultra High Definition Monitor:
- They produce much better results by adding more pixels on the screen.
- The image details level and sharpness are also superb.
8) Touchscreen Monitors:
- Touchscreen monitors are much brighter, lighter, and much more accurate with the touch.
- You can use the touch on them when you intend to.
Now all device from laptops to smartphones has the touchscreen.
What to Look For When Buying a Gaming Monitor?
Do you enjoy gaming?
If your answer is yes, then you would surely be in search of a good quality monitor.
No doubt, there are many types of LCD panels.
Well, telling you the truth, an average consumer has no or very little knowledge of the LCD panel usage.
Most of us buy LCD just by checking its price.
Price is undoubtedly an essential factor, but neglecting the advantage and disadvantages of the different LCD panel types is not a cool thing.
If you have good knowledge in this regard, then you will quickly decide which one suits best to your needs.
Some things you need to check when buying it are:
- Panel size
- Panel resolution
- Pixel response and rate
- Panel technology
Difference Between Monitor Panel Types:
You can compare them to know which one is best for your needs.
What’s the Difference Between an IPS and TN Monitors? TN Panel vs. IPS:
- The arrangement in IPS panels is a bit different than the TN.
- The liquid crystal is designed in a way that allows LED lights to distort and which results in much better color visibility.
- TN panels are good with the price while the IPS panel top the list for the viewing angle and the color reproduction.
- If you prefer image quality over responsiveness than choose IPS monitor.
- IPS was mainly designed to improve the issues with the TN technology concerning color reproduction and viewing angles.
- IPS displays have much better contrast and blacks levels.
- IPS is a much better display choice for creative professionals
- They require 15% more power than the TN panel.
- They are more expensive than others.
LCD vs. LED Monitor:
Do you have any idea among these two, which is better, i.e., LED or LCD monitor?
- LED is a type of LCD.
- The proper name to LED is “LED-backlit LCD TV.”
- Its too much mouthful in the daily conversations. That’s why they are generally referred to as LED TVs.
- Both of them use a liquid crystal display panel to control the light display on your screen.
Such panels are made up of two sheets of a polarising material that has a liquid crystal solution in between
When an electric current is passed through this liquid, the crystal aligns that light.
You can imagine each crystal as a shutter that allows or block the light passing through it.
VA vs. IPS Monitor
- VA provides much better image quality when the monitor is viewed comfort center. The reason for this is its superior contrast.
- IPS has better viewing angles that allow more and more people to view the screen at a time. The value of the contrast ratio is 1000:1 on IPS.
IPS vs. LED:
- IPS are panel technology while the LED is a backlight technology.
- IPS has one of the best color production while the LCD screen comes to the best power.
- LED-backlit tech to allow you to enjoy each screen corner with the brightest lit while the IPS display provides better viewing angles.
- IPS is found in gaming monitor TV, while the LED is found in smartphone screens
Triple Monitor Gaming:
Imagine enjoying your favorite game on more than one display screen. In this way, you see a broader view of the game field.
Isn’t it cool?
Well more significant graphics power is required in this regard.
Also, you need to make sure that all your displays can be connected to the same graphics card.
For multiple input display, you can check which graphics card is supported by all.
After the three displays are connected and are in working follow these steps:
- Upgrade the graphics card driver
- Install the driver and start your pc
Triple displays are sometimes easy to set up but a bit difficult to configure.
- Get a graphics card that supports up to 3 monitors.
- The port combination is up to you.
If you have got the graphics card that can support more then two displays, you can start working.
Cobble the three monitors together and then connect them to your PC.
For Windows 7 and 8 Users:
Right-click on desktop anywhere and click the screen resolution
For Windows 10 Users:
Right-click and set the display settings
Then both the OS users need to follow the same steps, which are explained below:
- From there arrange the monitors correctly
- Click Identifying
- Then a popup will appear on each of the screens
- Save the settings.
Next, you will need to extend these displays from the multiple display options.
This step involves configuring the monitor for gaming.
These settings can be done from the NVIDIA or the AMD control panel.
For NVIDIA Graphics Card:
If you are using the NVIDIA graphics card, then you will need to enable surround.
- To do this goto to the 3d options seeings.
- Select configure surround, PhysX
- Tick the options display with surround
- Click on configure
- On the box appeared select 1×3
- Tick the boxes in the display menu
- Check the resolution
- Set the refresh rate to 60Hz
- Then save the settings
For the AMD Graphic Card:
You need to enable Eyefinity first.
- Open the AMD Radeon settings
- Click the Eyefinity tab.
- If the three monitors are of different resolution, then advanced settings are recommended.
- Goto to the advanced setting and set 3×1 layout
- Hit next
- Hit next again
Now its time for the arrangements.
- Click start arrangement
- Select box corresponding to the monitor’s location
- Hit nextAlign them using the align all tool.
You are done with the whole process.
Now you can enjoy happy gaming.
Useful Read Guide to Building Your Own PC
3D Computer Monitor:
3D monitor s are of 3 types:
You can get the TriDef 3D driver to support the 3D vision on your machine
Well, the market is of new gaming monitors is growing.
The confusing question arises which one to use, and the answer is even more confusing, i.e., use all of them and no one in particular.
It all depends on your usage.
You will need to compare different panels and see which one suits best to your needs.
The VA panels are better than the TN panel concerning the color production.
Talking about performance high-end IPS panel lead the rest.
If you intend to acquire a forward-moving technology, then IPS monitors are the ideal choice.
For gaming and the professional’s application IPS, the monitor is the preferred choice in the market these days.
Thus to use it, you need to know what is an IPS computer monitor display and its working. Knowledge of different monitor panel types will surely be helpful to you.
Also, read How to Fix Surface Pen Not Writing?