Windows backups are really important. They save you from troublesome situations like windows crashed or any other loss of data. But backups need to be cleaned and managed as they occupy space. So, whenever you ran out of space on your system, delete extra or duplicate backup files.
If you do not know how to delete backup files in windows 10 or any other windows, then this article is for you.
Where are Windows 10 Backup Files Stored?
File History saves the contents of critical folders in your user folder, such as Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures, Videos, and portions of the App Data folder.
You can exclude folders that you do not want to be backed up and add folders from other locations on your computer you want to be kept up.
How to Delete Backup Files in Windows 10?
Method 01: Using System and Security option (clearing windows history)
This is a straightforward method, but it only works when you have the backup file history option turned on. If it is turned off, then you already do not have any backup.
- Press the Windows button on the keyboard or go to the windows start button on the taskbar.
- Select setting and open windows setting.
- Choose Update and Security (system and security) on the windows setting window.
- Find the Backup option and click on it.
- Click on the keep my backups that is a drop-down menu having your backups.
- Choose the backup you want to delete and press the delete button. Confirm the selection and you are done.
Method 02: Through System Restore Points.
A system restores a point as a group of files and registry settings that were saved at a certain moment in time.
Even though having a system restore point is beneficial, storing many restore points will use disc space.
Follow the instructions below to remove restore points to ensure they do not go too far.
- To create a restore point, go to the Start button and type restore, then click Create a restore point.
- Click the Configure button under the System Protection tab. The System Protection window will appear, allowing you to customize the system’s restore point settings.
- To delete all restore points and clear up the most space, click the Delete option and then OK.
Method 03: Through Deleting the Previous Version of Windows.
If you updated from Windows 7 to Windows 10, you may have a folder entitled Windows.old on your PC. When you switch to Windows 10, this folder serves as a backup of your Windows 7 installation.
In some ways, it is nice that you can still access files from your previous Windows version. How do you get rid of an old Windows version that takes up a lot of space on your hard drive?
There are several techniques to clean up the Windows.old folder, each with its own set of benefits and drawbacks. We have described two techniques:
- To erase Windows.old folder using Storage Sense, follow these steps:
- Click the Start button, type storage, and then select Storage Settings.
- After you have set up the Storage settings, select Configure Storage Sense or Run It Now.
- Scroll down to the Delete previous Windows option in the Configure Storage Sense window.
- You can skip this part if you do not see the Delete previous Windows option.
- Select the Clean Now option.
Using the Temporary Files Settings
Windows 10 features a useful feature called Temporary Files that is hidden under the Storage part of the Settings menu.
This functionality can remove a variety of useless files, but for now, let us concentrate on the Windows.old folder.
- Return to the Storage Preferences window. Select Temporary files from the drop-down menu.
- Select the Previous Windows installation option in the Temporary files window. It includes the full old Windows version.
- If you do not see the Previous Windows installation option, it implies your system does not have any older Windows versions, thus you can skip this stage.
- Click the Remove files button to delete all the temporary files that have been checked.
How to Delete App Backup Files in Windows 10?
Users of Windows 10 can back up all their photos, downloads, documents, music, and other data. As time passes, the backup folder will grow as additional data is added to it.
Let us have a look at the different strategies you may use to free up disc space on your Windows 10 computer to erase this app backup files:
A. Using Temporary Files
- To launch the Run dialogue, press the Win + R keys on your keyboard.
- Type the following command: %localappdata%
- Go to the Temporary folder.
- By hitting Ctrl + A, you can choose all files.
- To get rid of all these useless temporary program files, press the Delete button.
B. Use the File History
This is the most effective method for removing previous versions of software or app history from Windows 10.
Follow the steps below to get started:
- Activate the Control Panel.
- Choose File History from the drop-down menu.
- Select Advanced Settings from the left side window.
- advanced configurations
- Clean-up versions are an option you will find there.
- versions to be cleaned up.
- You can delete app backups from any folder.
- Choose an option and then hit the Cleanup button.
What is a Windows Backup Image?
A system image backup is essentially an identical copy of a disc. In the event of a PC disaster, you may use a system image to entirely restore your computer, settings, and all.
The system image is a full snapshot of everything on the hard drive of the computer at any point in time.
So, on a 1 TB drive, if 500 GB of space is occupied, the system image will be around 500 GB.
Some system image program compresses the system image to reduce its size as much as possible, but do not expect to save much space this way.
How to Delete Windows Image Backup in Windows 10?
Follow these instructions to erase the Windows image backup file:
- Go to Control Panel > System and Maintenance > Backup and Restore by pressing the Start button.
- Select Manage Space from the drop-down menu.
- Choose View Backups in the next box, then select the image backup files you want to delete and delete them.
How to Delete Backup Files from an External Hard Drive?
- Connect the USB cord from the external hard drive to one of your computer’s USB ports. On the external hard disc, turn it on.
- Start >> Control Panel >> Programs >>Programs and Features >> Programs and Features.
- In the list of apps that appear, click the name of the backup software. To uninstall the backup software, click “Uninstall” and then “OK.”
Also, Read How to Replace Laptop Hard Drive and Reinstall OS?
We have tried to list down the easiest and simplest techniques about how to delete backup files in windows 10.
All mentioned methods are 100% working and will solve your query about anything related to deleting backup files.
Checkout Benefits of Windows 10 Over Windows 7
Leave a Reply