Encryption means securing all the data on your phone. This is done by following some data encryption standards.
Data encryption is useful if your phone is stolen. You have the backed-up data that can immediately come to your rescue.
In the leading article, we will discuss the android phone encryption pros and cons, how secure or useful it is, how to encrypt your phone, decrypt your encrypted phone, the best android encryption app, etc. You can also use some passcode to keep your data safe.
Table of Contents
- How to Encrypt your Android Device?
- Android Phone Encryption Pros and Cons
- The Benefits of Encrypting Android Phone
- Disadvantages of Encryption
- How to Decrypt your Encrypted Phone?
- Best Android Encryption Apps
How to Encrypt your Android Device?
You can get the android phone encryption pros and cons to know after you have encrypted your android phone by following this quick and step-by-step guide:
- Set a screen lock password for your android phone.
- It is simple. Just go to Settings>Security>Screen Lock. Remember the password you are using for your screen because this will be the same passcode you will use for encryption. So remember it.
- After this, go to the security menu and then find an option for the ‘encrypt menu.’
- Now you will receive many warning messages. You have to agree to all these messages. They will ask you for the password for the last time before the process begins.
- The encryption process can take an hour or two depends on your phone version.
- So the work has been done, and you have successfully encrypted your android phone, and now it will be safe for your data too.
What Does Encrypt SD Card Mean?
Back in the Security menu, you can see an option saying that ‘encrypt SD card.’ This is not a necessary step, but it will save your data much more. But if you only have some songs on your SD card or something that is not personal or particular.
Android Phone Encryption Pros and Cons
The Benefits of Encrypting Android Phone
Encryption of the data of your android phone can cause you to benefit even more than your expectations:
1) Data Protection & Control
Many people are inclined towards keeping their data in Cloud. But it’s really unsafe because anyone can easily get data from it.
On the other hand, if your data is encrypted, you do not need to worry about anything. Because even if you have lost your data, you could still use the protection for it and control it from your phone.
2) Prevent Misuse
If you keep your data in some organization, thinking that it will be safe there, then it may prove you wrong.
Because they can sell your data for their own profit, but after you have encrypted it, it becomes nearly impossible that your data will be misused even after you have lost it.
3) Safe From Hacking
The encrypted data is so much safe that even hackers could not get your data.
4) All Device Compatibility
The one main advantage this technology holds today is that you can use it for any device you are using, either a mobile phone, a tablet, or pc.
5) Data Recovery
If your phone is damaged or stolen, you could easily get your data back. You can get important information by using that specific passcode and can retrieve all the information. Furthermore, there are some other methods to recover dead phone data.
So these pros clearly state the reason that why one should encrypt one’s phone.
Disadvantages of Encryption
Everything that comes with benefits surely has some drawbacks attached to it. Here we will discuss some:
1) Code Requirement
You cannot use your encrypted SD card on another device because it demands a specific code.
2) Key Dependency
Your secured files on the SD card will be lost if you reset your device without decrypting. Because in this way, the key will be lost, and you will no longer have access.
3) Slows Down Phone
There is a commonly asked question, “Does encryption slow down your phone?” Well, unfortunately, the answer is yes. It does slow your phone making it irritating.
4) Suspicious Doubts
It could raise suspicions among the people around you. They may doubt that you are hiding something illegal that is why you are so protective of your data.
5) Never Forget Password
It would be best if you remembered the password for it all the time because you do not know what you will need and when you will need that important information. If you have forgotten the passcode, it may cause some problems for you.
How to Decrypt your Encrypted Phone?
Just like you need to encrypt your android phone for your safety, you also need to decrypt the phone.
Because when the phone is reset without decrypting, it may remove all the saved information.
Follow this easy guide to decrypt your phone as and when required:
- Tap on Settings on your phone.
- Now go to security.
- Tap an option saying ‘Others” in security settings.
- The switch next to Strong protection to decrypt the phone.
- Now type the passcode that will be asked.
- Your phone will be decrypted.
Best Android Encryption Apps
Following are the names of some apps that are considered best for encrypting your android apps:
- ProtonMail- Encrypted Mail.
- Signal Private Messenger
- Folder Lock
- Express VPN- best android VPN
- SurfEasy VPN
- X-VPN- unlimited and free
- LEO Privacy- Applock and Hide Photo
- Boleh VPN
- VeryAndroid File Protector
- OI Safe
- Viking VPN
- SOS Online Backup
- Silent Phone- Secure Calling and Messaging
- Gold Lock
- GoCrypt Basic
- Secure Notes
- VIPole Secure Messenger
In the world of technology, it is only a step away to get into someone’s system and hack their data. So all these big companies with great repute should be extra careful while keeping their data.
Similarly, big people with the great name should encrypt their phones to save their data and not get any harm.
Android phone encryption’s pros and cons indicate their importance and also tell us that at some point, it will be beneficial or harmful for a person to use it.
Recommended Read Mobile Data Security Issues