When a team of developers develops software or application, they test the components individually that is unit testing. Once it is done, the team integrates all parts.
To make sure that the integrated software is working fine without any error, they perform system integration testing. It is part of acceptance testing (end-user testing) as SIT helps in developing the test cases for it.
What is System Integration Testing?
System integration testing is for integrated hardware and software environments to ensure that the entire system functions properly. It is a type of testing done on a complete, integrated system to see if it meets a set of requirements.
Regression testing is also a part of the SIT because the fundamental aim of SIT is to test dependencies between different system components. The system contains multiple units that testers cannot test individually.
Even if you have tested the parts individually, they may fail when incorporated into the system. Before deploying the system at the user’s end, SIT exposes and rectifies the faults. It detects flaws early on, saving time and money in the long run.
Advantages of System Integration Testing
The question may come to mind that why do integration testing and what are its advantages? So, we have listed five of them, give them a read.
- It is simple to integrate with daily builds and tests in a development environment.
- Creating the correct test allows for a precise feedback loop between developers and testers.
- When compared to end-to-end tests, tests run faster.
- The percentage of code that is covered is higher and easier to track.
- Specifically, it aids in the development of real-time use cases during end-to-end testing.
Requirements of Integration Testing
There are some pre-requisites to perform integration testing. Although these are very common yet very significant.
- A team of experienced testers.
- Automated Testing Developers must consider more than only developing tests after they have produced the product, but at an early point in the development process.
- From the beginning of the development cycle, tests are written.
How to Do Integration Tests?
The following are steps of how integration tests usually go:
- Make a test strategy.
- Write use cases and test cases.
- After unit integration, run tests.
- Error detection is essential.
- After you have fixed the bugs, retest the functionality.
- Repeat the testing process until you identify all bugs and fix them.
Moreover, to make sure the joint units work without any issues, and enterprise application integration work goes smoothly, companies opt for enterprise application integration testing.
Note for Testers:
- A QA team can do effective testing if they meet two criteria. By effective testing, we imply the detection of all flaws and problems.
- Understand the structure of the product and how the various components interact.
- To develop test cases, correctly analyze the findings, and choose between manual and automated testing, become familiar with project characteristics.
System Integration Testing Best Practices
- Always do unit testing after integration testing.
- Unit tests are for business logic, while integration testing is not for it. Do not confuse unit testing with integration testing for business logic.
- Build separate suits for integration and unit testing.
- Depend not only on integration testing.
- Correctly determine test data. It is necessary for building reusable testing scenarios.
- Prepare test data concurrently with the writing of test cases, or at the very least before execution.
- Determine which units you should prioritize during testing?
- Only begin the tests when the development team has completed unit testing.
- All the interfaces should be thoroughly tested. Studying software architecture will be beneficial.
- The tests should cover all business-critical aspects and core logic.
System Integration Testing in Agile
Integration testing in an Agile environment is like integration testing in any other setting. It occurs more frequently in an Agile environment because of the incremental development process and frequent product changes.
For example, in a waterfall project, the tester typically does integration testing at the end of the project. This method comes with a high level of risk, as problems discovered during integration testing may cause extensive rework. You will merge your work at least once in a Sprint in Agile with minimal iterations/sprints.
Importance of Agile
Agile Projects & Programs are one of the most significant types of testing. Teams use test-driven development in agile projects, writing small, isolated unit tests and extending the little piece of code to make the unit test work. The agile teams then build integration tests to ensure that the multiple layers communicate effectively.
Difference Between System Testing and System Integration Testing
- System testing ensures that the final product meets all the client’s requirements, while integration testing ensures that connected units can work together without difficulty.
- System testing belongs to the acceptance testing category, and integration testing is a functional test.
- Smoke testing has three levels, while integration testing has four.
- Smoke testing works on black-box testing techniques, and integration works on all including, black, gray, and white.
- Only engineers can perform system testing while both test engineers and developers can perform integration testing.
Integration Testing Tools
There are hundreds of tools for integration testing. Choose one that suits your application and testing requirements. We have listed some tools for you. Check them out:
- Validate MSG
- H2 Database
System integration testing is essential as it detects all defects in the application. It is the responsibility of both test engineer and developer to do SIT and validate it. You can do it manually or can use any automated software. We have covered almost everything in this blog from definition to tools.
Still, if you are facing any challenges and have anything in mind, let us know in the comment section. We will come up with something on that topic.
Leave a Reply