If I am not wrong, you are here looking for some information related to wireless connection settings or forgot your WIFI password and found some solution to solve the issue.
So you want to know how to change WIFI name and password and others settings of the sort.
You are in the right place. In this article, you will no doubt get some excellent information related to this topic.
Some of the points discussed in this article are listed below:
- Network name SSID
- Renaming wireless network
- Change router password
- Find the forgotten password
- Wireless security types
How to Change WIFI Name and Password?
- The password is on your router, and you can quickly change it from there.
- You will have to open the configuration settings in a browser and change it from there.
- The process to achieve this slightly varies from one router to another.
How to Change WiFi Router Name and Password?
- You can also achieve the same from command prompt of your PC.
- Just goto Run from the start menu and type cmd
- Then the command prompt will be opened for you.
- Type ipconfig And the router’s information will be disclosed to you on your screen.
- In front of option saying default gateway, you will find an IP address.
- Type it in your browser, and you will be led to the configurations settings.
- To log in you will have to enter the username and the password. Make sure you know the real one. If you don’t have this information, then you can try the default username and password also.
- If you want to know the default logins information, search it on the web by your router’s name.
- Then go into the wireless settings and enter your network name there, then you can do your desired settings.
You can also wipe out all passwords and set them to default. For this, you may need to have physical access to your router.
Just find the button saying ‘RESET’ to your router and press it. Thus all your passwords would be set to default.
What is SSID Number?
Its full form is Service Set Identifier. It is set to 32 unique characters that work as an identifier in the packets of data sent Wireless network.
Two or more LAN can’t have the same SSID.
It is uniquely assigned to each. The security at SSID is not so excellent. A hacker can obtain the data by some efforts.
You can easily find SSID number in your router’s settings. If you don’t see one, then there are some chances that you are using a default SSID name.
You can change it from reset settings.
Such parameters will be explained ahead in this article.
From an Android device, you can find this identifier from wireless settings. You will get that network’s information there to which you are connected at that moment.
How to Change Your WIFI SSID Network Name?
It is used to identify a network.
You can get it quickly by typing your system’s IP address in the browser and going into the wireless settings. From there you can also change it.
The question that arises here is why you should change your network’s SSID name?
The answer is simple.
If two or more networks within the same area have same SSID network name, then one of them should go ahead to change his network name, this is because it can create confusion.
One advice that I want to give you here is that never set your name, date of birth or any personal information as your network’s name.
Renaming Wireless Network:
The process to do this is incredibly easy. Just follow these steps
- Open your browser.
- Type the IP address in the search area.
- Go to option saying wireless.
- To rename your network, you will have to delete the current SSID.
- Then enter your new network name.
- Save the settings, and you are ready to go.
Find My WIFI:
You may have faced a situation when you can’t find it and when you need to connect to it.
There are many reasons for this. It may be perhaps the network is hidden, or you may not be in the range of that network.
Forgot WIFI Password:
Remembering passwords is not a new thing. Same goes in this case.
Most of the time it happens that you forgot it and didn’t know what to do.
Sometimes your device has already saved it, and it establishes the connection whenever comes in the range of that particular network.
What if you can’t find it through this way, there is another way to reveal it. You can see it through router settings. It can also be obtained from the configuration in the control panel.
Follow these steps to do so:
- From start window type run
- Then type CPL and enter.
- Open the status of the saved network from which you need to find the password.
- Open wireless properties
From security tab, check the option saying show characters and your password will be revealed to you.
You may need to access it through the administrator.
How to Secure WIFI?
Although the wireless network is not more than a blessing, it can be a headache if not properly secured. If it is unsecured, your data can be hacked, and someone can use your internet also.
Follow these points to be secured while using it.
- The first and the most important thing is to keep a secure password.
- Change password and network name from default to any secure one.
- Encrypt your wireless network.
- If you are in an area that does not need a full range WIFI, then decrease its range so that other useless devices may not attempt to connect it.
- Use of a VPN can also secure your network.
- Turn of the setting was saying WIFI Protection setup. This configuration allows devices to pair up with your router.
WIFI Security Types:
It stands for wired equivalent privacy. One advantage of this is that it is compatible with old devices.
Its full form is WIFI protected access. Its primary purpose was to overcome the problems that a user faced in WEP, but it created some more problems for the users.
This one is much secured, and I recommend you to choose this setting. Its primary purpose is to save encryption problems.
Thus this technology allows users to connect, so it should not be considered less critical. You should know how to change WIFI name and password in case of any problem with your network.
Renaming wireless network can make it secure too as it would not be recognized by other devices.
You must have some knowledge that may help you secure your network. This can be helpful in your security online.