In this article, you will go through some impressive knowledge about a great connection.
You will come to know why it should be your priority when choosing an internet connection.
You will know what DSL internet is.
Some of the topics discussed in this article are:
- History and evolution.
- It’s categories
- It’s working
- It’s merits and demerits
- The difference between online connections.
- 1 What is DSL Internet?
- 1.1 What is DSL Internet Speed?
- 1.2 Categories:
- 1.3 How Does DSL Internet Work?
- 1.3.1 What is the Difference Between DSL and Broadband Internet?
- 1.3.2 Is DSL Internet the Same Ss Wireless?
- 1.3.3 Which One to Choose? DSL or Wireless?
- 1.3.4 Advantages:
- 1.3.5 Disadvantages:
- 1.3.6 Why is DSL a Better Choice Among All?
- 1.4 How to Fix the DSL Connection?
- 1.5 Can You Connect Ethernet to DSL?
- 2 Final Words:
What is DSL Internet?
- It stands for Digital Subscriber Line.
- It provides online services through the same network as that of telephone lines.
- Filters are added to prevent the clash between the internet connection and phone calls.
- It builds connections through phone lines.
- The lines that are used to make telephone connection are used by it to create the online connection.
What is DSL Internet Speed?
It does not offer much high speed.
New technologies are being adopted to increase its rate.
There are many methods by which you can measure the speed of your connection.
What is DSL Internet Price? How Fast is it?
- Its speed is between 128 Kbps – 3000 Kbps.
- The technology got fame almost 20 years ago.
- Now it is not much used by people because of slow speed.
- It is much cheaper than other types.
- Because of low rates, it is still preferred.
It was introduced in 1990, and then it got fame very quickly.
With the invent of new technologies it got better from time to time.
In its early days, it gained more recognition in the eastern world.
Some of the classes of the DSL connection are:
- High bit rate
- RATE ADAPTIVE
Symmetric DSL (SDSL):
It allows an equal amount of data to flow from both sides, i.e., the same amount of data for both uploading and downloading.
People do not so much use this one.
This one is loved by online users because it provides a greater area for downloading data.
This is the most common because people are interested in downloading than in uploading data.
It is slower than ADSL.
It’s user have a benefit that they do not need to install anything to split.
It’s some familiar names are:
- Universal ADSL
- Splitter-less ADSL
In the last type, there is no need of splitter at the user’s end, but a lack may arise of splitting the lines for user remotely at the telephone company side.
High Bit Rate DSL (HDSL):
It is symmetrical, i.e., an equal bandwidth is available in both directions.
It can carry 1.5Mbps – 2 Mbps of data approximately.
Rate Adaptive DSL (RADSL):
In this type, software is used to find the signal transmission rate.
You can also find the delivery rate by the same method.
Unidirectional DSL (UDSL):
Its name defines it perfectly.
It is the unidirectional form.
How Does DSL Internet Work?
Your telephone line services connect your home/company to the phone company through the twisted pair of wires which carry analog signals to transmit voice.
It converts analog signals into electrical signals (in the form of amplitude and frequency).
This analog transmission is used to send information to both ends.
You just need to have a modem with your PC to convert that information into digital information.
To know more about modems read What is the Difference Between Modem and Router?
What is the Difference Between DSL and Broadband Internet?
Dsl vs. Broadband:
A broadband connection is that which provides greater capacity.
No one type of the connection is the broadband.
All of them are types of broadband.
Digital Subscriber Line connection is a kind of broadband connection in which there is no need of making separate areas for connection as long as you have a telephone connection in your home.
Is DSL Internet the Same Ss Wireless?
They are entirely different from each other.
Following points show their difference:
- It provides services through telephones line, whereas wireless connection is one which provides its services through modem linked to an ISP.
- Wireless connection is independent of any wires.
- The wireless network comes from a router; this can be any modem. You can easily reset routers to configure them.
- A wireless connection slows down with the increase in no of users, whereas in DSL you get the same speed, no matter how many users grow.
- Its connection is provided at a fixed location whereas wireless connections are spread over towers.
Which One to Choose? DSL or Wireless?
When choosing for a traveling purpose, you will go for wireless, while for use at home you will pick a fast DSL connection.
Thus both of them have equal significance.
Read about the wireless connection at Learn About WiFi Internet Connection.
Some benefits are:
It provides good acceleration.
However exact speed may vary depending on the service plan.
24 Hours Availability:
It is available 24 hours a day. You do not need to contact your ISP each time to configure settings.
With the help of this connection, you can be online even when you are talking on the telephone.
With splitting lines, it provides the facility for both phone and internet; you do not need to have separate lines.
The data and voice can safely travel without interfering with each other.
Besides some merits, it has some demerits too.
You should have a modem; this means you will have to spend some extra amount and this can be quite irritating for you when you decide to switch from one ISP to another.
While using this connection, You can have security threats too.
As it provides services 24 hours, this means that your PC will be online for a long time, even if you switch off your PC and then when switching it on the again you are in security threats.
Therefore users should have some firewall installed on their PC.
Why is DSL a Better Choice Among All?
This connection proves to be a better option in many cases.
Some of them are:
- If you need to host your website, then it would be your best choice.
- To set up your server for gaming.
- For online chats
- Online shopping
- Online video streaming
How to Fix the DSL Connection?
If your connection goes down at some random time then most probably the issue is in the wiring.
Well, you must troubleshoot it. Also, check the connection filters and all cords and the cables.
Can You Connect Ethernet to DSL?
To do this, you first need to check the ethernet rj45 socket.
If at least one ethernet rj45 socket is present on your device, then be happy because now you can connect to it.
Advancement in technology is the main reason for the commercial success of this connection.
Different chips integrated with each other are being used to provide better services.
A higher level of chips is benefiting it in the best way, and it is becoming better from time to time.
People now don’t seem to ask the question ‘ What is DSL internet’ because its popularity in a short span of time is speaking the words of success.
You can read more at: What is networking?