Skype is the go-to video conferencing software. People use it widely for interviews, meetings, and rooms.
Skype won’t open sometimes. It can be because of an internet issue or any compatibility issue. The problem varies from OS to system, but the main idea and ways remain the same.
Here are some categorized solutions, but you can also use them alternatively.
Why is Skype Not Opening?
There could be several reasons why Skype on the desktop isn’t launching. Your machine does not satisfy the minimal requirements for the newest version of Skype, which is the most typical problem.
Skype Won’t Open Windows 7
For the time being, disable the security software and firewall, and see if you can log in. Uninstall the program and reinstall it to see if the problem still exists. To uninstall it:
- Click the Start button, then Control Panel, Programs, and finally Programs and Features to open Programs and Features.
- Click Uninstall after selecting software.
- Besides uninstalling, some programs offer the opportunity to change or repair the program. However, many provide an uninstall option.
- Click Change or Repair to change, or repair a program. If an administrator requests a password or confirmation, type the password, or provide the confirmation.
Skype Won’t Launch Windows 10
- Using the Win + R keys on the keyboard, open the Run dialogue box.
- In the field, type msconfig.exe and hit Enter.
- Go to the Boot tab once the System Configuration window has appeared.
- Turn on the Network option and check the Safe Boot box.
- Choose Apply, then OK.
- Your computer will now restart in Safe Mode with Networking when it reboots.
- Launch Skype and see what happens. If you still can’t get Skype to open, go back to the Run dialogue and input app data percent this time.
- Locate the Skype folder and right-click it. Change the name to Skype 2 by clicking Rename.
The built-in SFC scan application in Windows can help you to find any corrupted file in it. Follow the steps below to run the scan:
- Choose Command Prompt (Admin) from the Start Menu icon’s right-click menu.
- Type SFC /scannow into the Command Prompt area and hit Enter.
- To use the Safe Mode feature in Windows 10, follow the first tutorial.
- Open the Skype application.
- Go to the advanced connections options on Skype.
- Disable the UPnP function.
- Restart both the Skype application and your operating system.
- After the reboot, launch the Skype app to see if it works.
Skype Won’t Open on Mac
Check For permission
- Select Go > Home from the Finder menu. It will take you to your folder.
- To open an Info window for your home folder, go to File > Get Info.
- If the Sharing & Permissions area at the bottom of the window isn’t open yet, click the triangle icon to open it.
- Click the lock if the Lock button at the bottom of the window shows a closed lock icon. Create a username and password for the administrator.
- Select Action from the Action menu in the window’s bottom corner. To confirm, select Apply to enclosed objects and click OK. You can find a progress bar at the top of the window.
- Open Terminal, which is found in the utility section in your Applications folder, once the progress meter has finished.
- Diskutil resetUserPermissions / ‘id -u’
- Exit Terminal once the process is over.
- Then, restart your computer and attempt to use Skype once it is repaired.
How to Fix Skype Can’t Connect
Perhaps you can’t hear the other person or can’t listen to you because of a microphone or a problem with your audio settings. Or maybe because you forget your password, you can’t log into Skype.
Another explanation, though, could be that your outside speakers or microphones no longer work and need new hardware. Perhaps Skype will not log in.
- Reset Your Password: If you can’t log in to Skype, reset your password. To reset your Skype password, go to Microsoft’s Recover Your Account page. Enter the email address you used to sign up for Skype, and then follow the instructions provided to reset your password and resume making video and voice conversations.
- Skype Test Call: start a test audio call now that you’ve verified that you turned on the hardware and enabled it on Skype. The test call will ensure that you can hear and speak through the speakers and microphone. You’ll be able to listen to the test service talk to you and then record a message that you can playback again. If you don’t hear or the Skype speaker cannot listen to you, then check for the following things:
- Check for audio and video settings.
- Make sure the microphone and other connected hardware is working
- Verify system sound.
- Ensure you have updated drivers.
Skype Says Connecting but Never Connects:
Please try a simple uninstall and reinstall first if you haven’t before. If the problem persists, uninstall and reinstall Skype. We also suggest that you look at:
- To use Skype, make sure you turned off the Firewall.
- Configure the ports used by Skype.
- Windows Firewall settings need to be updated.
- Disable any antivirus software for the time being.
- If you use a proxy server to access the internet, you may configure Skype to connect.
Skype Not Ringing Outgoing calls
- Reset Skype by pressing Windows Key+I, then going to Apps > Finding Skype > Advanced Options > Reset
- Keep Skype up to date: Check the Microsoft Store to see if there is a Skype update. If this is the case, make the changes.
- Can you make a call using either Web Skype or Classic Skype to isolate the problem? (Download)
Skype won’t open in rare cases like having issues in audio or video settings, not matching the system requirements, and some other issues.
We have addressed almost all of them based on several OSs and hope it will help you out.