So you are looking for some excellent information related to SMTP port numbers.
No need to worry now. You have arrived at the best place.
In this article, you will get some incredible knowledge about your desired topic.
You will witness some fantastic information about the mail protocols and their ports. This knowledge will surely help you understand the mechanism behind the sending and receiving of emails.
- What is Default SMTP Port Number?
- Simple Mail Transfer Protocol:
- What is the SMTP Server?
- SMTP Port Number for Gmail:
- How to Get a Secure SMTP Port Number?
- Email Port Number:
- SSL Port Number:
- IMAP Server And Port:
- POP Server and Port Number:
What is Default SMTP Port Number?
The default number is 25. Some other standard numbers are listed below;
Simple Mail Transfer Protocol:
- It’s an electronic mail suite.
- It was first introduced in 1982 and is used by email software.
- Mail transfer agents use it to send and receive emails.
- Almost all modern email clients are using this protocol.
- It works as a delivery protocol.
- Mostly used for sending messages. For receiving messages POP3 and IMAP are used.
What is the SMTP Server?
The number of internet users is increasing and with that increases the demand for online communication facilities.
Email is the most common form of communication on the internet and is among the most used technologies.
Do you know what is going on behind the scenes when you send an email?
Have you ever thought of the mechanism working on sending an email?
When you send an email, there is a system involved that takes care of your message making it through a series of steps to your desired recipient.
In this set of activities such, there is a working computer that is running a simple mail transfer protocol.
It acts as a postman in this whole process.
When you send a message, they are first received by the server, and then it sends the words to their appropriate recipients.
The following points can well describe it.
- It works like a mail exchange for you, mostly used for forwarding messages.
- It has been used by many mail service providers all over the world.
- A professional one gives you a complete guarantee of delivery of your emails.
- It also has an anti-spam control. Antispam control is essential to avoid the current internet issues and browse online safely.
- You will need to provide login credentials if you intend to connect it to send an email.
SMTP Port Number for Gmail:
Many people use Gmail for sending and receiving emails, but they find it quite hard to get access to their inbox from a different email client, for example, Outlook
To configure Google’s email server, you need to set the following changes:
The first thing you will have to do is to open the emails’ software. Configuration panel.
Then you will have to fill the fields as follows:
- Write SMTP.gmail.com in the server name.
- Write your Gmail’s address in Gmail SMTP username.
- Then write your password in the password area.
- Then write the port in the area asked. It will be 465.
How to Get a Secure SMTP Port Number?
The one you see is not secure, you are open to threats and your emails sent are not saved also.
For this safety and security, you will need to do some settings.
This safety setting requires changing the number from classical one, i.e., ‘25’ to a more secure one that is 465 or 25025. You can do it from your setting page, in case you are using a standard client
Google SMTP Server:
It has multiple IP’s on which it relies and has sending limit.
You can send emails to 500 recipients per day, and you can send only 100 messages per day.
If you don’t follow these rules, your account is likely to be blocked by Google and if you intend to send emails to many people at once, then you can rely on email server Gmail without any doubt.
Standard SMTP Port Number:
The advantage of having a standard one is that it quickly receives the email from different clients and doesn’t ask for authentication. 587 is considered to be a standard one.
List of Email Server Port:
Following is a list of some of these:
- Non encrypted= 25
- Secure TLS=587
- Secure SSL=465
Email Port Number:
Some of the commonly used are:
- SMTP = 25
- SMTP –alternate =26
- IMAP = 143
- IMAP = 993
SSL Port Number:
SSL stands for secure socket layer. 443 is considered to be used for SSL.
When you connect to someone, the complete handshaking is done through 443.
SSL is not much used today, that’s why they are not so familiar now.
Now TLS technology is used.
IMAP Server And Port:
- It provides much flexibility to its users.
- You can group related messages and then they are arranged in a particular hierarchy. IMAP no. is 143. It does not loose connection until and unless email client app is open.
- It makes retrieval of messages quite easier for its users. You can quickly retrieve multiple messages from multiple devices.
- It provides synchronization. When a user reads an email on his PC, then he wants that email to be marked as reading on his laptop and smartphone also. This scan is achieved through IMAP.
POP Server and Port Number:
SMPT works in collaboration with POP3.
- POP stands for post office protocol.
- The latest version release of POP is POP3
- It has many extensions and provides authentication also. Authentication is quite useful regarding security. You need to have a secure WiFi connection to work with ease online. It prevents malicious things from accessing our emails.
- The pop3 number is 110.
- It gives proper privacy settings to its users.
- It can download all emails on a connection. Thus it has good speed if a lot of email messages are intended to be downloaded.
Simple Mail Transfer Protocol and Email Marketing:
It plays a significant role in the success of email marketing.
- One of the most reliable and secure.
- Its features are unique.
- We can quickly do bulk mail marketing.
- Also used to track the status of emails in email marketing.
What is Email Marketing?
No one can deny the importance of marketing services. Only those who got profit from it know its real significance.
Email marketing involves a database. It is used for sale purposes mostly.
Emails are sent to customers to make them aware of the products. Some are promotional emails while some are reminder emails also.
It is used in digital marketing also. Newsletters are also sent.
Thus they make our online work quite easier. It helps in sending emails and much other stuff.
It’s the most used email system because of its excellent features.
The connections are much secured and contribute to send data securely to each other and the mechanism that goes on behind when we send or receive any email is hidden from us.
We only know what we see.
SSL and SMTP port number are some useful information to understand the process that occurs when we send and receive any email.
Enjoy reading more about servers at What are web servers?