When one shares a file with someone else, he does not think about protecting it. If the information is sensitive, then it is a have to encrypt and protect using a password. It can allow specific people to view, edit, or none.
We will tell you some ways about how to password protect a pdf file without acrobat for free. So, let us get started. Adobe Acrobat works online, and one does not have an internet connection every time.
- How to Password Protect a Pdf File Without Acrobat?
- How to Password Protect a PDF in Adobe Reader Free?
- How to Password Protect a PDF File Without Acrobat Mac?
- How Do I Password Protect a PDF File for Free?
How to Password Protect a Pdf File Without Acrobat?
Adobe Acrobat allows password-protect files but sometimes it is not recommended because of security issues. Adobe Acrobat only allows sharing the file via email after encrypting. Though it limits access to the files but makes the laptop or PC heavier and has some security flaws, too. Encrypting an email helps in securing the content too.
There are some alternate methods to password protect a file that is:
1. Encryption Tools of Microsoft Office
Microsoft office facilitates one with the option of protecting files using a password. One cannot view these files without a password. You can do it by following some simple steps.
- Open word document using MS office.
- Go to file on the top-left corner
- Select “save as” from the option list.
- Scroll down the document type and select pdf
- Click “Option” in the bottom right of this window
- Check the encrypt checkbox
- Enter a strong password
- And your file is protected now. No one will access it even if they are using your laptop.
Also, Read Encrypting an External Hard Drive
2. WordPress PPWP and PDA Gold Plugin
Another way is using the WordPress plugin. Though WordPress does not have default security, it is installed on the site or separately. When you protect using files through MS word, they become private, but in WordPress, you can upload the files on the site and then protect content. This will make it easier to share files with others.
For doing this you will need to do the following steps:
- Go to Plugins in WordPress site
- Select Add new
- Search and install PPWP Pro and PDA Plugin
- Enter the license key
- Embed the file in WordPress site
- Add password while embedding in the media library.
If you do not find these plugins directly in WordPress, then download them explicitly and upload them by selecting the upload plugin from the same options list.
How to Password Protect a PDF File Online?
There are several tools available online for protecting the pdf file. The easiest way is to zip the pdf file and password-protect the zip file. If you cannot do this method. You can try the following tools:
a) Soda PDF:
Soda pdf is a free online available tool with various access options. This tool is very simple to use.
- Drop files from your computer, Dropbox, or drive
- Add password
- View it
- Download and share file
Pdf2go is an alternative to adobe acrobat to secure files from unauthorized access. It is also easy to protect files using pdf2go. You have to:
- Choose file
- Enter password
- Select access and permission
- Re-enter password
How to Password Protect a PDF in Adobe Reader Free?
Adobe reader has different versions for Windows and Mac. All the versions have password-protect. Adobe Reader facilitates one with protection by following simple steps that are:
- Open the file in Adobe reader
- Select tools from View Menu
- Go for protection in tools
- And add the password to it.
How to Password Protect a PDF File Without Acrobat Mac?
If you do not know how to protect your files on Mac, then don’t worry. Chill and use any of the methods discussed below to password-protect your pdf files:
a) Mac Natively:
- Open the app using the default software
- Preview it
- Go to the File tab in the menu
- Click Export
- Tick encrypt option
- Add password and verify it
b) Using Pages:
- Open the pdf file
- Click the “file” and go to set a password
- Insert password
- Verify password by re-entering it
- Add a hint in case you forget the password.
- Again, click on the file and now select the “Export to” option
- Select pdf
- Next and Save
How Do I Password Protect a PDF File for Free?
There are some ways for password protecting a file for free that are already discussed in the above section. Let us list them down again:
- Using Microsoft Encryption tools
- WordPress Plugin
- Adobe Reader
- Soda Pdf
Except these, there is another tool tool, that is:
PDFMate PDF Converter:
It is not an online tool, but a program that needs to be installed on your PC or Laptop. It is a fast tool and only compatible with windows.
How to Use it?
- Open Pdf file and choose pdf as result too.
- Move to advanced settings
- Add password and protect
It is important to password-protect a file. Adobe Acrobat is one option, but it does not give a protection option in the free version. So, the article contains a unique method about how to password protect a pdf file without acrobat.