Laptop keyboard is the main ingredient that makes it in a working condition.
It is an essential part of the system for which you paid some great amount.
It might happen that your laptop keyboard locked and you need to access your laptop immediately for some important work.
You will feel a bit redundant when your laptop keyboard stops working.
Check out the solutions in this impressive article.
How to Fix Laptop Keyboard Not Working Locked?
This problem occurs mostly due to holding the shift key for more than 10 seconds.
This shift key is also referred to as the keyboard lock key.
Holding the shift key for this much long time changes the settings of keyboard.
Some issues of this sort also occur on pressing Num lock key.
It locks a part of the keyboard.
An outdated driver can cause this problem too.
On upgrading the OS with the outdated driver, the keyboards get locked.
- Best Solution
- Changing the Accessibility Settings
- Disconnecting the Keyboard
- Outdated Drivers
- Check for Physical Issues
- Performing a Clean Boot
- Uninstall Secondary Keyboards
- How to Fix Some Laptop Keyboard Keys Not Working?
- How to Unlock Laptop When Laptop Keyboard Not Working Windows 10?
- How to Turn On and Off the Keyboard?
- Hp Laptop Keyboard Locked
- Dell Laptop Keyboard Locked
- Keyboard Typing Wrong Letters
- Final Words
The best solution for this issue is:
- Remove all power cables and laptop peripherals
- Push the power button
- Then connect all cables
- Restart the laptop
Also remove all other monitor cables if you have attached it to view display on a second screen.
If you see a certain part of your laptop locked, then the issue is due to turning on or off of the scroll lock or the Number lock.
You can unlock it by pressing the keys one by one and testing them.
Check and remove the debris and dust from the keys.
You can remove the dirt by using the compressed air.
This can unlock your laptop keyboard’s small portion.
Find Out About Black Screen When Turning on the Laptop
Changing the Accessibility Settings
If you find your entire laptop keyboard locked, then you will need to fix this issue by changing the accessibility settings.
- From the start, menu go to control panel
- Go to Ease of access center
- Then select the keyboard settings
- Turn off the switch keys, toggles keys, and the filter keys.
- Then save the settings
- Exit this setting window by pressing OK.
- Test the keyboard and check if all keys are working fine.
Disconnecting the Keyboard
If the issue remains the same by changing the accessibility settings, then the issue can be due to the faulty connections.
- Disconnect the keyboard if you have a computer.
- Then reconnect it again and check if its working or not.
- Laptop users can skip this step.
On upgrading the OS, the outdated drivers lock the keyboard.
You need to get the latest drivers.
Thus you will need to update your laptop’s driver.
You can also let the windows update the drivers for you or download the latest drivers from the manufacturer website.
Check for Physical Issues
Do check if the keyboard has any physical impact.
Check in the BIOS Menu
You will need to enter the BIOS menu and see if the keyboard is working in the BIOS menu or not. This way you can find if its a hardware issue or a software problem.
- Restart Your Laptop
- Hit the Del or Esc key to get into the BIOS menu when its booting up.
- If the BIOS menu opens up and you can easily navigate there using the arrow keys, then the issue is with the software and not the hardware.
In contrast, if the BIOS does not boot upon pressing the BIOS keys, then there is most probably a hardware issue. A defected, or a loose connection between the motherboard and keyboard can cause this issue too. You can also try by connecting a wireless keyboard to your laptop.
As the above story indicates that the software part has some issues.
So you will need to update the driver.
- Open the control panel
- Go to the device manager
- Then locate the keyboard, and under it, you will find the keyboard driver
- Uninstall it
- Restart the laptop, and you will see the driver get installed automatically.
- Now check if the keyboard is working or not.
Performing a Clean Boot
You can do a clean boot if the keyboard inputs aren’t working correctly.
After that, do check the keyboard.
If the issue remains the same, then there is any third party software causing the problem.
Uninstall Secondary Keyboards
You previously attached any other keyboard to your laptop, then its driver can also interfere with the settings and disable the main laptop keyboard.
To overcome this issue, uninstall the drivers that don’t belong to the main keyboard of your laptop.
- Open the device manager
- Make hidden devices appear by clicking the view and then ‘show hidden devices.’
- Click keyboard, and all the keyboard drivers will be listed in front of you.
- Uninstall the HID keyboard devices
How to Fix Some Laptop Keyboard Keys Not Working?
Don’t get frustrated in such case as the issue is easily fixable.
Some functioning keys might not be working on your laptop.
If the function keys are not working, then it means that you need to toggle the F-Lock key,
Number Pad Keys Not Working
If the number pad keys aren’t working or abnormally working then pressing the num lock key.
The num lock keys are used to switch between the primary and secondary function keys.
Q, A and Z keys
If the Q, A and Z keys aren’t working, then the keyboard connector pin that connects these keys are faulty.
Useful Read Fix Laptop Mouse Pad Not Working
How to Unlock Laptop When Laptop Keyboard Not Working Windows 10?
You can do Unlocking using the onscreen keyboard.
- When you see the login screen of your Windows 10 laptop, click the “ease of access” button. You can find the button on the right corner of the computer.
- Then a pop-up menu will appear. Click on the onscreen keyboard from that menu.
- Type the password using the onscreen keyboard
- After logging in, you can check the settings and fix the issue.
How to Turn On and Off the Keyboard?
To turn it off uninstall the keyboard drivers from the device manager, and it will be disabled until the laptop restarts. To turn it on, restart the laptop and driver will be installed automatically.
Hp Laptop Keyboard Locked
- Firstly you need to test your HP laptop keyboard
- Download the HP PC hardware diagnostic tool
- Open the start menu
- Search for HP pc diagnostic tool
- Run it as administrator
- From the left menu choose a component test
- Then click input devices
- Select keyboard test
- Click run once
- The test will be completed within 3 minutes, and the results will be displayed to you.
- Switch off the laptop
- Turn it on again
- Enter the BIOS settings by pressing F10
- Load the default setting by pressing F5
- Then save these settings by pressing F10.
- Restart your laptop
Dell Laptop Keyboard Locked
- Turn off the laptop
- Disconnect all power cables
- Remove the battery
- Afterward, press the power button and hold it for 15 to 30 seconds
- Reinsert the battery
- Then restart your laptop.
Keyboard Typing Wrong Letters
Turn off the num lock key, and you will see your laptop keyboard working perfectly.
Also, Checkout Why is Surface Pen Not Writing?
Above mentioned were a few things that you can do to fix laptop keyboard not working locked.
If nothing proved to be working for you, then take your laptop to the repair shop to make the keyword working properly.
It is quite essential to fix the defected keyboard as a defected keyboard makes the laptop useless.
It is a stressful block to productivity.
You need to do some hardware or software fixes, and the laptop keyboard locked issue will be solved.
Also Read About the Touch Screen Computer Monitors