So you are looking for some amazing information related to SMTP port numbers. No need to worry now. You have arrived at the best place. In this article you will get some extraordinary knowledge about your desired topic. You will witness some amazing information. Some of the topics discussed in this article are:
- What is SMTP?
- Google mail server
- IMAP server
Simple mail transfer protocol:
- It’s an electronic mail suite.
- It was first introduced in 1982 and is used by email software.
- Mail transfer agents use it to send and receive mails.
- Almost all modern email clients are using this protocol.
- It works as a delivery protocol.
- Mostly used for sending messages. For receiving messages POP3 and IMAP are used.
What is SMTP SERVER?
Do you know what is going on behind the scenes when you send an email? Have you ever thought of the mechanism working behind sending an email?
When you send an email, there is a system involved that takes care of your message taking it through a series of steps to your desired recipient. In This series of step such there is basically a working computer that is running simple mail transfer protocol. It acts as a postman in this whole process.When you send a message, they are first received by the server, and then it sends the massages to their appropriate recipients.
It can be well described by the following points:
- It works like a mail exchange for you, mostly used for forwarding messages. It is been used by many mail service providers all over the world. A professional one gives you a complete guarantee of delivery of your emails.
- It also has an anti spam control.
- You will need to provide login credentials if you intend to connect it to send any email.
What is default SMTP port number?
The number is 25. Some other common numbers are listed below;
SMTP port for Gmail
Many people use Gmail for sending and receiving emails but they find it quite hard to get access to their inbox from a different email client, for example outlook
In order to configure Google’s mail server you need to configure the following changes:
The first thing you will have to do is to open the mails’ software. Configuration panel. Then you will have to fill the fields as follows:
- Write SMTP.gmail.com in server name.
- Write your Gmail’s address in Gmail SMTP username.
- Then write your password in password area.
- Then write the port in the area asked. It will be 465.
How to get a secure SMTP port number?
The one you see is not secure, you are open to threats and your emails sent are not saved also. For this safety and security you will need to do some settings. This requires changing number from classical one i.e. ‘25’ to a more secure one that is 465 or 25025. You can do it from your setting page, in case you are using a normal client
Google SMTP server:
It has multiple IP’s on which it relies. It has sending limit. You can send mails to 500 recipients per day and you can send only 100 messages per day. If you don’t follow these rules, your account is likely to be blocked by Google. If you intend to send mails to many people at once then you can rely on mail server Gmail without any doubt.
Standard SMTP port number:
The advantage of having a standard one is that it easily receives mail from different clients and doesn’t asks for authentication. 587 is considered to be a standard one.
List of mail server port:
Following is a list of some of these:
- Non encrypted= 25
- Secure TLS=587
- Secure SSL=465
Email port number:
Some of the commonly used are:
- SMTP = 25
- SMTP –alternate =26
- IMAP = 143
- IMAP = 993
SSL port number:
SSL stands for secure socket layer. 443 is considered to be used over SSL. When you connect to someone, the entire handshaking is done through 443. SSL are not much used today, that’s why they are not so common now. Now TLS technology is used.
IMAP server and port:
- It provides much flexibility to its users. You can group related massages and then they are arranged in a particular hierarchy. IMAP no. is 143. It does not loose connection until and unless mail client app is open.
- It makes retrieval of messages quite easier for its users. You can easily retrieve multiple messages from multiple devices.
- It provides synchronization. When a user reads an email on his PC then he wants that email to be marked as read on his laptop and smart phone also. This scan be achieved through IMAP.
POP server and port number:
- SMPT works in collaboration with POP3. POP stands for post office protocol. The latest version release of POP is POP3
- It has many extensions and provides authentication also. Authentication is quite useful in terms of security. It prevents malicious things from accessing our mails.
- Pop3 number is 110.
- It gives good privacy settings to its users.
- It has the ability to download all mails on a connection. Thus it has a good speed if a large amount of mail messages are intended to be downloaded.
Simple Mail Transfer Protocol and EMAIL marketing:
It plays an important role in the success of email marketing.
- One of the most reliable and secure.
- Its features are quite unique.
- We can easily do bulk mail marketing.
- Also used to track the status of emails in email marketing.
What is Email Marketing?
No one can deny the importance of marketing services. Only those who got profit from it know its real importance. Email marketing involves a database. It is used for sale purposes mostly. Emails are sent to customers to make them aware of the products. Some are promotional emails while some are reminder emails also. It is used in digital marketing also. News letters are also sent.
Thus they make our online work quite easier. It helps in sending emails and much other stuff. It’s the most used mail system because of its good features. The connections are much secured and help to send data securely to each other. the mechanism that goes on behind when we send or receive nay email is hidden form us . We only know what we see. SSL and SMTP port number are some useful information to understand the process that occurs when we send and receive any email.