Internet connectivity problem is the worst nightmare for any internet user. The user experiences his net connection very slow, due to which he cannot do his online work. In this article you will go through such problems and their solutions. Some of the topics covered in this article are enlisted below:
- Why Is My Internet slow?
- What is a slow internet speed?
- How to fix it?
What is a slow internet speed?
This is the speed that is one which is not equal to the speed promised by your service provider. It is less than that. There is nothing much disheartening for an online user than a slow speed. You have once in your life experienced this frustrating moment. It is caused by many factors.
Being an internet user, you should know how to troubleshoot it. It may be the fault of your service provider, while sometimes you are your own culprit. Your some carelessness may result in this problem.
The solution of this problem is not impossible now. Sometimes there may be problem with your browser also. By checking and changing some settings you can easily overcome this problem.
My internet slowed down:
Does your PC net slow down at some moments? Does it take time to load Web Pages, download or upload data? Don’t underestimate these problems considering them less important. They can result in slowing your net speed permanently. Determine the factors behind these and try solving them.
Internet connection very slow:
This is the worst headache for any online user. We use computer almost every day. Internet is also becoming a need of every computer user regardless of his/her age, work or profession but when a user is unable to connect to it than he becomes worried about it.
Why is my internet speed so slow?
There may be many factors that may slow down your internet, some are described below:
It may be slow due to your location. At some location the signals are quite slow.
It may be also slow due to increase in number of users. For example in your office many workers try connecting to it at same time.
Some hardware restriction may also be a cause of slow speed. The age of your PC may also be factor in slowing down your internet.
Problem on a Website’s server:
It might also happen that a website’s server may having some problems and you keep thinking why is my internet running slow. In this case the problem is not on your side. It is on the website’s server’s side.
Multiple programs running in background:
Running multiple programs may also be a cause of slow connection. Similarly paused games in background may also cause problem
Hard disk full:
It may happen that your hard disk is full. Due to this your internet may be slow.
A cyber attack may also be cause of slow internet. You don’t know when it occurs.
Data encryption rate on your device may be a cause of slow internet.
It may also be caused by the DNS. A DNS with limited cache slows down the internet. Try some other DNS.
How to fix slow internet?
By following the points described below you can overcome this problem
Check your Ethernet cable and configuration. Try running windows network diagnostic.
Sometimes there may be a fault in network in your area. Check that. Ask your neighbors are they facing the same issue or you the only one facing this problem.
There may be some software error on your pc, try removing it. Run security scans
- Check your browser setting. Try reloading a website on different browsers, and then compare the time to reload among them, and then use the one which was fastest.
- Clear cache form browser settings
- Try deleting cookies
Broadband data limit:
This problem may also be caused by your broadband data limit. Try checking it.
Perform an online speed test. For an accurate result, try checking your it from different websites
Check the proxy and firewall. If you are using proxy, try closing it and then try to connect to internet. Proxy may also be a cause of this problem.
Cable, router and modem:
- Check whether your cable, router and modem are working perfectly.
- Length of your cable may also be factor in slowing down your internet. The length of approximately 45m-50m is good but if your cable’s length is greater in size than this than most probably it may creating some problem in internet connectivity. Avoid bending the cable as it affects the performance of cable.
- Check your home phone whether it is working fine or not
- From start window go to control panel then click troubleshooting, in network and internet go to connect to internet. In this way you can troubleshoot your connection.
- Try checking network interface card
- Reboot your computer.
- IE requires some amount of computing power and disk space to work perfectly. Every website being viewed is downloaded and saved in a temporary area. Remove some items to create space on disk.
Some background apps may also slowing it down. File sharing applications / software like Torrent may also slow it down. They take time to download huge amount of data files. In this way they may take your internet speed. Close them and then try to connect .
There may be window open that is for some user request and you may be unaware of it. Many windows may be open in background that may be slowing your internet. Try closing them first.
- Check software updates on your device
- Check the date and time of your PC. Is it accurate? Check whether AM / PM settings are fine in time.
- Try disconnecting some devices
Multiple devices on same network:
Many of us have multiple devices connected to internet like phones, laptop etc try closing connection on these then connect to the internet. The hindrance may be caused by electromagnetic interference by these devices
Username and Password:
Do check the internet password. If you enter wrong password than it may result in no internet connection problems. Type the correct username and password
Still if you may see people complaining,’Why is my internet slow?’ tell them about these troubleshooting solutions. If you have tried above all methods, still you can’t figure out why is your internet speed so slow, then you should try moving to a new ISP. This might help you in having good connection. Also try using some new technologies.